Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Any update mine is away 3 weeks today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

So, those who went for the M8... overall happiness report? M7 here but just got the nod for the upgrade. There can't be too much more packed in to an "M9" that is worth hanging on for, can there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I'll volunteer a crappy review. I've only had mine a week but other than looking and feeling beautiful I haven't much else to say about the m8 :( I don't know why but I've barely made any use of the thing, at least not in the same way I used the mini. I tend to leave it on extreme power saver which renders it as functional but as a basic phone and I tend to forget it does other things. Even still, I'm not even bothered by the other things. It's possible I'm grieving for my mini. I am disappoint with the sound, despite all the effort gone into it, one of my main joys was plugging up my ears and the boom sound doesn't really do it for me the way beats audio did. Browsing in bed, nope, I couldn't be bothered.It might be because if it fell on my face I'd probably need reconstructive surgery and I'm afraid to take the risk. It's heavy and cumbersome in comparison and my hands are little, I just get tired thinking about holding it. The camera needs an instruction manual, pics are great but the whole thing is such a process and time consuming. I've only downloaded the most basic apps, things of necessity and just don't seem to be getting much use of it otherwise.

I feel I'm not loving my phone as I should. This could be the result of a catholic guilt complex as it was an unexpected offering, or genuine case of missing my old phone, the one I lovingly selected and cherished while I had the privilege of its company.

I've read plenty of good news rumoured about the M9 but I'd simply be sold if they partnered with Bose (and fixed the camera).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

Whoa... if it's any consolation, I still much prefer the feel of my One X, and prefer the keyboard on it too compared to the M7

pharmaton wrote: »
    I'll volunteer a crappy review. I've only had mine a week but other than looking and feeling beautiful I haven't much else to say about the m8 :( I don't know why but I've barely made any use of the thing, at least not in the same way I used the mini. I tend to leave it on extreme power saver which renders it as functional but as a basic phone and I tend to forget it does other things. Even still, I'm not even bothered by the other things. It's possible I'm grieving for my mini. I am disappoint with the sound, despite all the effort gone into it, one of my main joys was plugging up my ears and the boom sound doesn't really do it for me the way beats audio did. Browsing in bed, nope, I couldn't be bothered.It might be because if it fell on my face I'd probably need reconstructive surgery and I'm afraid to take the risk. It's heavy and cumbersome in comparison and my hands are little, I just get tired thinking about holding it. The camera needs an instruction manual, pics are great but the whole thing is such a process and time consuming. I've only downloaded the most basic apps, things of necessity and just don't seem to be getting much use of it otherwise.

I feel I'm not loving my phone as I should. This could be the result of a catholic guilt complex as it was an unexpected offering, or genuine case of missing my old phone, the one I lovingly selected and cherished while I had the privilege of its company.

I've read plenty of good news rumoured about the M9 but I'd simply be sold if they partnered with Bose (and fixed the camera).

No offence, but that is one of the funniest things I've ever read!

In any case, you could sell your M8 and buy a mini with the proceeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is there any truth that HTC are replacing purple tint m7s with m8s.i read that somewhere and then the lad in the store I was handing my m7 in said it was probably gonna be upgraded.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Is there any truth that HTC are replacing purple tint m7s with m8s.i read that somewhere and then the lad in the store I was handing my m7 in said it was probably gonna be upgraded.

Seems to be happening here. I talk to loads of Android enthusiasts all over the world, and they can't believe the deal a lot of people with purple tint are getting here. Really top service by HTC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

dulpit wrote: »
    You can use ROMS that de-crapify your phone, these will run fine. I've used Android Revolution HD on the M7 (http://android-revolution-hd.blogspot.ie/) with no issues, same goes for Maximus ROM (http://llabtoofer.com/category/devices/htc-one-m8/). Personally I prefer Maximus..

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer Maximus?

I had ViperOne on my M7 until last weekend, when phone calls stopped working for some reason. It may have been a rogue app instead of the ROM, but I flashed ARHD just to see what it was like, and the phone calls are working again. I prefer the (much higher) level of control and customisation that ViperOne has over ARHD.

What swayed you to Maximus instead or ARHD? I know I could flash it and try it out, but I don't really want to have to lose everything again unless it's worth it.

Would you say Maximus is more or less customisable than ARHD?

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer Maximus?

I had ViperOne on my M7 until last weekend, when phone calls stopped working for some reason. It may have been a rogue app instead of the ROM, but I flashed ARHD just to see what it was like, and the phone calls are working again. I prefer the (much higher) level of control and customisation that ViperOne has over ARHD.

What swayed you to Maximus instead or ARHD? I know I could flash it and try it out, but I don't really want to have to lose everything again unless it's worth it.

Would you say Maximus is more or less customisable than ARHD?

For the record, the issue with calls not working is nothing to do with your ROM, it's something messed up with google play services and/or google services framework. It's affecting loads of users, regardless of ROM.

Basil3 wrote: »
    For the record, the issue with calls not working is nothing to do with your ROM, it's something messed up with google play services and/or google services framework. It's affecting loads of users, regardless of ROM.

Did not know that. Thought it was something that I had done. Customer service at Three didn't do much good, and didn't fancy sending a rooted phone away. I thought the different ROM was worth a try first, and it's been working fine since. Was it widely reported?

• Advertisement

Did not know that. Thought it was something that I had done. Customer service at Three didn't do much good, and didn't fancy sending a rooted phone away. I thought the different ROM was worth a try first, and it's been working fine since. Was it widely reported?

Yeah, I know loads of guys with the issue. I think a solution is to revert to an older version of play services, which flashing a ROM will probably do, but then chances are it will auto update in the background (I don't think you can stop it), and the problem will return.

I'm assuming google are on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Hey folks

I am thinking of getting the HTC One Mini 2 - anyone any experience with it? Its pricey enough at €349 so was hoping someone who has one could offer an opinion?

Cheers

If you're actually looking for a smaller phone, I think the Z3 is a better option, if you're looking to save money I still think you can do better.

gafferino wrote: »
    Hey folks

I am thinking of getting the HTC One Mini 2 - anyone any experience with it? Its pricey enough at €349 so was hoping someone who has one could offer an opinion?

Cheers

For the same money you could buy a near new M8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just ordered an M8 from O2 here in the UK. Running on a rooted S3 at the moment. Not sure I want to go ahead and root the M8 once I get it. Might leave it unrooted for a little bit and see how I get on with it. Anyone got any suggestions for an app(s) that'll backup my data, text messages etc? Something that'll work across a rooted phone and allow me to restore to a non rooted phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

my m8 decided to go unresponsive last night. the screen views as normal but the touch screen doesnt work. its just over a month ol and iv sent it back to manufacturer today. just wondering if anyone else had the same problem since they updated there phone? my fone seemed to start acting up by randomly picking icons by itself then the bottom of the screen went unresponsive last night then an hour later the whole screen stopped responding to touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Anybody use the nova launcher on the m7?

How does it affect the battery?

There is less benefit to rooting am HTC over a Samsung because sense is less offensive than touchwiz.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

...and don't make much use of the root functions if you don't want to.

I didn't root my M7 when I got it. I subsequently needed to root it to install AppOps X (to fix the play services wakelock issue). When I was rooting it, I had to wipe everything (obviously backed up) but it made what should have been a few minutes job into a much bigger thing because of all of the backing up.

From now on, I would always root the phone as soon as I got it so that it's done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

ofcork wrote: »
    Any update mine is away 3 weeks today.
    I should have something back tomorrow! So they told me on Wednesday

Anyone got a good step by step guide for rooting my M8 once it arrives tomorrow. I see there is an all in one tool out there on xda. Will that do everything that I need to do to root it?

I should have something back tomorrow! So they told me on Wednesday

Got a call from sbe today they are giving me an M8 as it will take another month to get parts for the M7 so happy days.

I unlocked the bootloader and rooted the M8 using the All in on tool.
    Haven't got s-Offbut it's something I'll look to do in the future. Pretty happy with the stock rom too. I'll stick with it for a while.

Got a call from sbe today they are giving me an M8 as it will take another month to get parts for the M7 so happy days.

Who are Sbe? The lads fixing my m7 have had it for two weeks or so. The dude in meteor said I'd probably get an m8, which would be amazing.

They are the place in Dublin where the htc repairs go through I assume before they are sent to the uk.

• Advertisement

They are the place in Dublin where the htc repairs go through I assume before they are sent to the uk.

Got it, so are they the guys that text me, and the place in the UK is the third party?

Got it, so are they the guys that text me, and the place in the UK is the third party?

Afaik anyway sbe text me the last time when the m7 was away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

They have an online tracker. It might shed some light on it.

https://extranet.sbe-ltd.co.uk/enduser/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

dulpit wrote: »
    If still in warranty: yes. Your phone bill/t&cs don't come into it...
    Ok, so who do I send the phone to? I got it on contract from meteor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So they are giving me an M8! He did mention though about it being QC checked so I guess it's a refurb I'll be getting?

• Advertisement

Picked mine up today but haven't had the chance to play with it yet a gold one,think mine is a refurb too.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

I'm expecting mine back tomorrow but from what I've been told I'm getting the same phone (M7) with the camera hardware replaced :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Anyone get the red M8 exclusive to Vodafone? Liking the colour!

Online tracker not working for me. Hope they gimme an m8 and not a fixed m7 though, I want something for nothing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Anyone had issues with the M7 charging port? Last week or so my phone will only charge when the connection is held a certain way (with something pressing down on the charge cable)...

neacy69 wrote: »
    Anyone had issues with the M7 charging port? Last week or so my phone will only charge when the connection is held a certain way (with something pressing down on the charge cable)...

Happened me before with my Desire HD. Try give the port a bit of a clean if possible.

Right so I emailed technical support about the purple haze and I did everything they told me. Factory reset etc. The purple is still there.

I then rang them and they told me to arrange it to be repaired at www.fonfix.ie or www.sbeglobalservice.com

Is this the normal procedure the rest of you have followed?

TheChevron wrote: »
    Right so I emailed technical support about the purple haze and I did everything they told me. Factory reset etc. The purple is still there.

I then rang them and they told me to arrange it to be repaired at www.fonfix.ie or www.sbeglobalservice.com

Is this the normal procedure the rest of you have followed?

Yes, I went through SBE

My M7 arrived back today. At least I think it's the same phone. The IMEI is the same as the original but the phone is factory reset and I can tell the case is different. The camera module was replaced.

From early tests I can't reproduce the purple camera issue. No M8 for me but I can't complain as I still like the M7, I'm just a little pessimistic that it won't eventually develop the problem again.

HTC seems to take a rather random approach in resolving this issue:
    • Fixing the current M7
    • Replacing with another M7
    • Replacing with a new M8

Id be interested to know what process those who got the M8 went through.

• Advertisement

Mine went to Fonfix, not SBE.

I just tracked it there, and the details say it has been replaced with a different handset, it gives me the new IMEI. Any way for me to tell from the IMEI whether its an M7 or M8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Due an upgrade would the HTC One M8 be a good option to go for? Or should I go for a newer phone?

Mine went to Fonfix, not SBE.

I just tracked it there, and the details say it has been replaced with a different handset, it gives me the new IMEI. Any way for me to tell from the IMEI whether its an M7 or M8?

Looks like its a replacement M7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

OriginV wrote: »
    Due an upgrade would the HTC One M8 be a good option to go for? Or should I go for a newer phone?

Im in the same boat. Think I will hold out to the new year and see what comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

irishbuzz wrote: »
    My M7 arrived back today. At least I think it's the same phone. The IMEI is the same as the original but the phone is factory reset and I can tell the case is different. The camera module was replaced.

From early tests I can't reproduce the purple camera issue. No M8 for me but I can't complain as I still like the M7, I'm just a little pessimistic that it won't eventually develop the problem again.

HTC seems to take a rather random approach in resolving this issue:
    • Fixing the current M7
    • Replacing with another M7
    • Replacing with a new M8

who did you send it to for repair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

handed in my m7 to the three store 5 weeks ago to be repaired under warranty..speaker problem..phone was gone a month by the time sbe contacted me to tell me i was getting an m8 as a replacement due to the time wait for parts to fix the m7..decent result in the end even after the messing about with no phone for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Im in the same boat. Think I will hold out to the new year and see what comes out.

Me too. M8 isn't a big enough upgrade plus you'll be stuck with it for 18/24 months.

BArra wrote: »

Just for the record, no matter who you send it to for the purple tint issue, it goes to SBE in the UK for repair. I found this out after a bit of research earlier this year. Basically, fonfix cannot do that level of repair, so it goes to sbe in Dublin, where they also cannot do it, so they send it to their UK centre.

So, for anyone with the issue, do yourself a favour of cutting out some middle men. If you find out that your network uses fonfix, don't bother giving the phone in at a shop: it'll only spend a day or 2 going to fonfix, where they will just send it to sbe anyway. If you go that route, you'll also have a couple of days delay on the way back, as fonfix will want to do "quality control" checks before they release it back to your local shop.

HTC customer service advised me of this. Can't remember how long my phone was away, maybe a fortnight or so. It was far quicker than when I went through fonfix a couple of years ago for the Galaxy S3 motherboard issue, that took about 6 weeks.

BArra wrote: »

As mentioned previously I went directly through SBE.

• Advertisement

My M8 arrived. It's a refurb but I'm happy. Now just to get my nano sim activated :)

Advertisement