Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

pmce4 wrote: »
    I'm confused what is ttorrent?
    I am guessing he just ment torrent or something like uTorrent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

I've skimmed through the thread but just to ask are people happy generally with their M8s? Have a Galaxy S3 which wont last me until the M9/S6 are being released and I'm due an upgrade now. M8 is 100 quid cheaper than the S5 and from what I can see they're pretty similar in terms of performance. Not being able to replace the battery is one sticking point with the M8, do they generally last the whole day with a few hours moderate internet usage?

Also, any idea who gives the best value insurance around?

Dubron wrote: »
    I've skimmed through the thread but just to ask are people happy generally with their M8s? Have a Galaxy S3 which wont last me until the M9/S6 are being released and I'm due an upgrade now. M8 is 100 quid cheaper than the S5 and from what I can see they're pretty similar in terms of performance. Not being able to replace the battery is one sticking point with the M8, do they generally last the whole day with a few hours moderate internet usage?

M8 is the best device out there, in my biased fanboy opinion :D

I would seriously hold off for 2 months until the M9 is out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

Basil3 wrote: »
    M8 is the best device out there, in my biased fanboy opinion :D

I would seriously hold off for 2 months until the M9 is out though.

My plan was to wait but I now know my current phone wont last another 3 weeks never mind 3 months! Realistically the M9/Hima wont be available here till late April or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

My M7 is still going strong so I doubt the M9 would persuade me to upgrade to be honest.

My plan was to wait but I now know my current phone wont last another 3 weeks never mind 3 months! Realistically the M9/Hima wont be available here till late April or so.

The M8 was out late March last year.
    LostBoy101 wrote: »
    My M7 is still going strong so I doubt the M9 would persuade me to upgrade to be honest.

You're not a flagship junky like myself. I can't know there is a newer version out without having it :D

Personally, I think the M8 was worth the upgrade over the M7. The button layout on the M7 was a huge mistake. Wake gestures and battery life improvement also made it well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

The M8 was out late March last year.

You're not a flagship junky like myself. I can't know there is a newer version out without having it :D

Personally, I think the M8 was worth the upgrade over the M7. The button layout on the M7 was a huge mistake. Wake gestures and battery life improvement also made it well worth it.
    I may consider upgrading to M8 if the battery life is an improvement and the button layout is a bit weird. When the M9 is released then the M8 should surely drop in price by then.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I may consider upgrading to M8 if the battery life is an improvement and the button layout is a bit weird. When the M9 is released then the M8 should surely drop in price by then.

You also have to realise that M7 reaches end of life very soon. If will receive the lollipop update in the coming weeks, which is still Sense 6, but with only a few visual differences.

It won't receive Sense 7 when the M9 comes out, but of course the M8 will still receive updates for a further year.

• Advertisement

You also have to realise that M7 reaches end of life very soon. If will receive the lollipop update in the coming weeks, which is still Sense 6, but with only a few visual differences.

It won't receive Sense 7 when the M9 comes out, but of course the M8 will still receive updates for a further year.

Do you have a link that shows HTC M7 is EOL when it reaches the 2 year mark and why it would never receive Sense 7 when available?

Do you have a link that shows HTC M7 is EOL when it reaches the 2 year mark and why it would never receive Sense 7 when available?

HTC have publicly stated that they support devices for two years, which is very good, in my opinion. They are holding off sense 7 for the M9, at which point the M7 is EOL. I'm mobile, but will see if I can Google links.

Edit: tweet from Football (inside word:
    Check out @LlabTooFeR's Tweet:
    Some news for M7 users. Good news - you will receive Android 5.0.2 update. Bad news - this might be the last major update for this device...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'm going to wait for the M9 myself, contract up fairly soon.
    If you have the money you could buy a second hand M7 or M8 or a new Moto G and sell it on when M9/S6 is released. You might lose €50 quid or more but at least you won't be stuck with an M8 for probably a 24 month contract. M8 won'thave much resale value after 24 months but the M9 should be relatively ok and the difference between that should be more than what you'd lose buying another phone now and selling it in March/April.

Get a quote to add your phone to your house insurance if you already have a policy. Also try gadget insurance and remember to compare the excess on both.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

M8 is the best phone I've ever had. Battery is brilliant, being able to listen to Spotify in the car on long trips and not worry about the battery dying is great. I get 2 days out of the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Keano wrote: »
    M8 is the best phone I've ever had. Battery is brilliant, being able to listen to Spotify in the car on long trips and not worry about the battery dying is great. I get 2 days out of the phone.

I'm due an upgrade in about a month. I have an M7 at the moment and my better half just got an M8. I'm very tempted to go for the M8, but the camera is a bit off putting. Financially, the M8 will be great value as an upgrade when M9 comes out. Really like the M7, but I would like a better camera for my next phone.

• Advertisement

M8 has Lollipop today for the Dev & Unlocked versions. No sign of it on M7 yet though.

dulpit wrote: »
    M8 has Lollipop today for the Dev & Unlocked versions. No sign of it on M7 yet though.

From what I heard from some of the devs working on custom lollipop ROMs for the M7, it's not going smoothly. Hopefully HTC will sort it out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Has anyone seen a projected release date for the M9?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Zascar wrote: »

There is nothing written in stone, only rumors. It's been suggested late March early April.

Zascar wrote: »

One X was very start of April
    M7 March
    M8 March

Think it will stay around there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nice. Have an upgrade due around then so will hold out to see what HTC do. Still loving my nearly 2-year-old M7 at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

dulpit wrote: »
    My phone is unlocked. Hmmm, wonder if I will get it in the coming days

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Any thoughts on this case lads?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LSU4BC4

Any thoughts on this case lads?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LSU4BC4

I know a guy who got a cheap imitation, and the rubber/plastic seemed to have some kind of static charge that he couldn't get rid of. It kept collecting dust, fluff etc, and he got a refund.

For what it's worth, I have the official dot view and haven't used it in a long time. It is a hassle, and if you drop the phone, there's a good chance it will actually pop out of the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

I have the dot view case also, it's quite difficult to hold the phone any way with it open!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

Dubron wrote:

The M8 is the phone I wished the M7 was! The battery is really fantastic, 11pm and I'm still at 38% with plenty of use through the day, my M7 would be dead at this point. I'm not sure what more I could want in a smartphone really until a real game changer comes along... Because the battery lasts so well you can actually use all the apps as much as you like, whereas with the older model you were always conscious that you couldn't use them too long without killing the battery! The only thing that bugs me is the bar at the bottom disappearing when you need it... was well worth the upgrade for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

I'm sending off my One M7 to SBE on Monday for repair for the pink/purple camera issue.

Has anyone received theirs back recently? whats the turn around time lately?

Lastly, is it still hit or miss whether they just replace the M7 or provide newer M8?

FYI, Maximus ROM now has 5.0.2 and Sense 6.0: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2189373

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

BArra wrote: »
    I'm sending off my One M7 to SBE on Monday for repair for the pink/purple camera issue.

Has anyone received theirs back recently? whats the turn around time lately?

Lastly, is it still hit or miss whether they just replace the M7 or provide newer M8?

Hi i recently went through this process with vodafone to say i was dissapointed with there service would be an understatement.

Phone sent away in October, my phone was perfect not 1 mark anywhwere on the phone.
    almost 4 weeks later i got a replacement back which was badly scratched around sim card holder, had plastic stuck between screen and body and a chip around headphone jack.

Needless to say i refused to accept this refurbished phone so away it went again, another 3 weeks later almost the same thing recived a scratched phone again i refused.

So 3rd time lucky they gave me a brand new phone and 2 months free line rental for all the hassle.

Advise for you inspect the phone with a magnifying glass and dont accept anything your not happy with.

The new phone has no issues with the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I have an unlocked M8 currently running KitKat 4.4. I wanted to know if I could download the unlocked / developer ROM from the HTC US website to install on my UK/ Ireland M8? It's software version 4.16.1540.8. Currently running 3.28.401.9

http://www.htc.com/us/support/rom-downloads.html#additional

• Advertisement

HTC tweeted that as of Jan 13th, Android 5.0.1 would be rolling out OTA to dev and unlocked M8s.
    I have unlocked M8 and not received it yet. Anyone got it? Am checking for updates daily.

HTC tweeted that as of Jan 13th, Android 5.0.1 would be rolling out OTA to dev and unlocked M8s.
    I have unlocked M8 and not received it yet. Anyone got it? Am checking for updates daily.

You need to wait for them to release international WWE version

1jcdub wrote: »
    I have an unlocked M8 currently running KitKat 4.4. I wanted to know if I could download the unlocked / developer ROM from the HTC US website to install on my UK/ Ireland M8? It's software version 4.16.1540.8. Currently running 3.28.401.9

http://www.htc.com/us/support/rom-downloads.html#additional

No, that would be an RUU. Flash Llabtoofer's ROM on XDA, it is based on latest wwe international version. I believe it still works with old firmware, although you're always best to s-off and flash the firmware also.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

No, that would be an RUU. Flash Llabtoofer's ROM on XDA, it is based on latest wwe international version. I believe it still works with old firmware, although you're always best to s-off and flash the firmware also.
    Would the RUU from the Htc US website be international versions of unlocked, developer M8??

1jcdub wrote: »
    Would the RUU from the Htc US website be international versions of unlocked, developer M8??

No, they are for unlocked developer edition, which I believe only came out in the US.

If you tried to flash, it would fail due to cid/mid check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Needing a new phone.

Currently have a HTC One and looking at either the HTC (M8) or HTC Mini2 ; any pro or con anyone would like to share before I purchase tomorrow :)

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Needing a new phone.

Currently have a HTC One and looking at either the HTC (M8) or HTC Mini2 ; any pro or con anyone would like to share before I purchase tomorrow :)

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

There is no pro to the mini 2, unless you want a small phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

No, they are for unlocked developer edition, which I believe only came out in the US.

If you tried to flash, it would fail due to cid/mid check.
    I installed this RUU to my phone and it is running very well. I unlocked the boot loader of the phone also have s-off and had to change the cid to supercid to install this.

I installed this RUU to my phone and it is running very well. I unlocked the boot loader of the phone also have s-off and had to change the cid to supercid to install this.

Yes, but of course if you're s-off, you should be on Llabtoofer's int gsm ROM and firmware.

• Advertisement

Yes, but of course if you're s-off, you should be on Llabtoofer's int gsm ROM and firmware.

Ya I will look at this Rom I am a newbie to tinkering with HTC phones previously a Samsung owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

So I have been running the Lollipop update on my M7 for a couple of days now. This is the MaximusHD version from XDA.

So far so good. To be honest there is very little difference, HTC have totally bastardised the AOSP version to turn it into Sense, a lot of the functionality Google introduced in Lollipop is missing from the Sense version. Simple things like animations and others are missing.

But other than that everything is going very well.

Hi Basil3 I tried to install the Llabtoofers rom but couldn't get pasted the ID checks. Are there any root options out there at the moment for the 5.01 dev rom as I need to instaLL TWRP to get past this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

nedd wrote: »
    So I have been running the Lollipop update on my M7 for a couple of days now. This is the MaximusHD version from XDA.

So far so good. To be honest there is very little difference, HTC have totally bastardised the AOSP version to turn it into Sense, a lot of the functionality Google introduced in Lollipop is missing from the Sense version. Simple things like animations and others are missing.

But other than that everything is going very well.

I find it much smoother and much more usable than the GPe edition.

The big overhaul will come with a fully materialised Sense 7, its a decent last update for the M7.

Besides animations is there anything you really miss from the stock android ?

Hi Basil3 I tried to install the Llabtoofers rom but couldn't get pasted the ID checks. Are there any root options out there at the moment for the 5.01 dev rom as I need to instaLL TWRP to get past this problem.

You should just need to flash TWRP recovery, flash Llabtoofer's firmware, then flash his ROM.

rom is up and running so far so good but the firmware would not install so went straight to the rom install and did a full wipe install. would you still recommend trying to install the firmware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

rom is up and running so far so good but the firmware would not install so went straight to the rom install and did a full wipe install. would you still recommend trying to install the firmware?

I couldn't flash it yesterday so I tried the one contained in this thread. Worked the treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I suppose there is nothing else I really miss from GPE but there were nice little touches, I liked the volume change functionality (the priority setting) but HTC have something like this with DND.

All told it is a very minor update from 4.4 Sense ROM to 5.0 Sense ROM, where as the update from KitKat to Lollipop AOSP felt much bigger.

You should be fine, although it's always best to have matching firmware and ROM. Why wouldn't the firmware install? If you do it via adb you often have to flash twice, once straight after the other.
    beno619 wrote: »
    I couldn't flash it yesterday so I tried the one contained in this thread. Worked the treat.

Just be careful, that is M7 firmware, for people in here talking about M8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I know this is a generic htc one thread, but there is a m8 thread. There's a lot to ignore here for us poor m7 owners. :O

You should be fine, although it's always best to have matching firmware and ROM. Why wouldn't the firmware install? If you do it via adb you often have to flash twice, once straight after the other.

Thanks I managed to flash the firmware and then the Rom. This is a great Rom thanks for your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement