Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys can anyone recommend a decent cover? I got one of the soft ones recommended in thsi thread a long whole back, its too big and bulky, I want one of the very think hard clip on ones. Any suggestions?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hybrid-Rubberised-Back-Cover-Case-HTC-One-X-Solid-Black-/190674911923?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D653105857593863878%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26#ht_2179wt_1139

thats the one i use i find them great,light and nice to touch,had to order one today again,some how the bog ****ed it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I lasted a week with it, sold it on and got a 4s instead.

The phone barely held a charge, and took forever to charge. I distinctly remember checking Facebook and Twitter for 5 minutes and dropping over 10% in battery (with no push email on, brightness down low, wifi off, stable 3G connection etc). Even with Juice Defender, which did stop the bad battery life when not in use it just wasn't up to par, might have been a dodgy phone but still.

Sense is a horrible UI, for such a spec'd out phone it ran sluggishly with barely any apps downloaded from me. After a week of use I just couldn't bear to live with it any more (especially the menu bar on half my apps). The phones design which is what initially attracted me turned out to be a negative too. Its just too big, judging where your finger presses will be is difficult, with many not registering properly (especially on Google Play for some reason).

Overall? The phone needs Jelly Bean (with an option to just use Stock JB and not Sense) and a removable battery, then I might try HTC again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I lasted a week with it, sold it on and got a 4s instead.

The phone barely held a charge, and took forever to charge. I distinctly remember checking Facebook and Twitter for 5 minutes and dropping over 10% in battery (with no push email on, brightness down low, wifi off, stable 3G connection etc). Even with Juice Defender, which did stop the bad battery life when not in use it just wasn't up to par, might have been a dodgy phone but still.

Sense is a horrible UI, for such a spec'd out phone it ran sluggishly with barely any apps downloaded from me. After a week of use I just couldn't bear to live with it any more (especially the menu bar on half my apps). The phones design which is what initially attracted me turned out to be a negative too. Its just too big, judging where your finger presses will be is difficult, with many not registering properly (especially on Google Play for some reason).

Overall? The phone needs Jelly Bean (with an option to just use Stock JB and not Sense) and a removable battery, then I might try HTC again.

You went from a OneX to a 4S??? :confused: Did the Galaxy S3 slip your mind or something?

(Also the hypocrisy in you saying that you want a removable battery yet picking an iPhone is laudable)

Also also, stop being lazy (like myself) and just root the god damn phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

You are obviously just very unlucky I have had zero problems with my One X - it's the best phone I've ever used, battery is fantastic and software is brilliant.

And what WolfForager said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

You went from a OneX to a 4S??? :confused: Did the Galaxy S3 slip your mind or something?

(Also the hypocrisy in you saying that you want a removable battery yet picking an iPhone is laudable)

Also also, stop being lazy (like myself) and just root the god damn phone.

It didn't, I had the offer of a cheap 4s and I took it (having moved from an iPhone 4 to a HTC One X). I don't mind irremovable batteries as long as they last a reasonable length of time, hence my complaint about the HTC's battery.

To be honest the process from looking at it was far too long winded and difficult for me to complete, I asked a friend (with a rooted tablet) and he said he wouldn't do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

M450 wrote: »
    Got my One X on Wed from Meteor, straight away noticed a yellow tinted blotch in the bottom left corner of the screen (clearly visible on white screen)

Here's a video from someone else who had it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PV5Xe3e73E

So I returned it yesterday, no hassle, got a brand new one and inspected the screen. It has the yellow tint in both bottom corners but not as strong as the last one. I could probably learn to ignore it but you know how it'll jump out at you if you know it's there!

Just wondering if it's worth going back again for a third try, or is this just the level of quality from HTC... anybody else experience this?

On closer inspection with a screen tester app, there's a very feint yellow tint spreading across the very top of the screen too, but usually not noticeable.

I had the same problem, had to send it off for repair, which took 3 weeks.

Haven't had any issues since.

If I were you I'd get that phone replaced too. I think if you keep it for 2 weeks or more it will have to be repaired (not replaced).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Hi guys, put this in a seperate thread but it should prob be here.

got my one x back in may, but after 5 - 6 weeks of loving it, im now gutted as over last two days the screen has been failing in one area intermittently.

Phone also goes a bit crazy from time to time zooming in and out or randomly switching applications.

I'll try to upload a screenshot of a drawing app showing the patch of screen that fails at random times but its a strip the width of the screen about 1cm high that has no response. Yet sometimes it works fine. Have been so careful with the phone too.

Anyone any idea what night be up? Is it hardware or software?

Advice is much appreciated. I have insurance but hoping I won't need to use it :-(

EDIT:
    Have been advised to do a software reset? Thats a factory reset? as it could be an app ive installed recently!
    Failing that the shop have said they will organise a meeting with one of their own techies and if the tech cannot fix it then its a replacement unit free of charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Anyone else try the Jellybean builds that are popping up yet? I'm on build 20 of the rom here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1763240
    He's just uploaded build 23, development seems to be rocketing away on this one, so I'm keeping a close eye on it. Very happy with build 20 so far, just bear in mind it is only being developed from a nexus build, so it is problematic in some areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Anyone else try the Jellybean builds that are popping up yet? I'm on build 20 of the rom here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1763240
    He's just uploaded build 23, development seems to be rocketing away on this one, so I'm keeping a close eye on it. Very happy with build 20 so far, just bear in mind it is only being developed from a nexus build, so it is problematic in some areas!

no but I think it might be my first venture into rooting my phone. Really want to check out google now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

i went looking for this earlier and couldnt find it. I just noticed now that there have create 2 development forums for the One X on XDA. Very confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dying to try it out but I think I'm going to wait until something proper and solid is around, my phone has worked almost perfectly since I got it as I have not messed with it. How long before a decent stable JB rom is out do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dying to try it out but I think I'm going to wait until something proper and solid is around, my phone has worked almost perfectly since I got it as I have not messed with it. How long before a decent stable JB rom is out do you think?

I expect the camera to cause trouble a bit (it always does -_-)
    Properly stable AOSP builds will be a few weeks id say.
    Those XDA threads are horrible things to follow.
    "Great work devs. Cant wait. My screens a dull. Still buggy. How do I do this, that, this that. Can you add this.When when when when. I want want want want"
    Leave dev threads to people who can actually help you numpties!!!!

Those XDA threads are horrible things to follow.
    "Great work devs. Cant wait. My screens a dull. Still buggy. How do I do this, that, this that. Can you add this.When when when when. I want want want want"
    Leave dev threads to people who can actually help you numpties!!!!

Nice rant. So true. Would be great to really see what is working and what isn't.

The one I'm using is so far the most stable adapted build that I've ever tried, and yeah, the camera is one of the only things not working at all.
    There is a bug (that seems to effect some people more than others) where there's a bit of echo on the line. They suspect it's caused by the two mics (the second being the noise-cancelling one at the top) giving feedback to the phone, and causing the person on the other end to hear themselves. Other than that, it's pretty damn good! The devs working on it seem to be pretty clued in and quick to release updates when they make progress!

I agree with you Chin, but they do still need feedback from us plebs that are willing to try out their builds too!

[edit] There's an issue with bluetooth audio streaming for some people too, and with youtube, now that Jellybean no longer has Flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Got the One V today. Can't use it. Pished off. Stupid bloke in shop cocked up and it could be monday or tuesday before my number is ported properly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I was worried because we have HOX and not HOXL but reading the article gives this gem:

"If you happen to own a non-LTE, Tegra 3-based One X, then the absence of that handset on the list doesn't mean much -- that model simply isn't part of the carrier's line-up."

Huh. Trip got the camera working last night. That was faster then expected!

Huh. Trip got the camera working last night. That was faster then expected!

Wasn't Trip that got if fixed... From the Jellybean 4.1.1 thread on there:
    mdeejay wrote: »
    it fixed by Ricardo Cerqueira (CM Team) and merged to cm git

Does look a bit like Trip seems to take bits developed/fixed by others without giving credit. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Does anyone know how to stop the notification light from going off after a certain length of time?

I'd often come back to my phone after 30 mins not to realise there are unread messages or missed calls - it seems the green light 'expires' after some time .... thanks

Anybody else try the TWRP recovery image?
    Much nicer and touch friendly then the clockwork ones

What's it like? I quite like the Clockwork Touch one. Just reflashed the old Desire HD and noticed it changed the recovery from Clockwork Touch to the 4eXT one, complete with fancy background etc... and it's quite nice too. Only problem I can see with the Clockwork Touch one is the fonts are very big, so it doesn't fit much on screen.

Theres its xda thread
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1622925

Built in file manager, zip queue and just a lot friendlier from what I can see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

I'm either getting a one X or a Galaxy S3 in a week or so. Stuck in two minds as to what to go for! I really prefer the look of the one x but benchmarks show the s3 is slightly a better performer. Do any of you guys regret getting the one x over the s3?...I'll probably be rooting it etc and I've heard s3 has an unlocked boot loader and the one X doesn't, is that really a big deal?

Hmm... doesn't seem to work for me, when I select Recovery after flashing it, it just kicks back to the Fastboot menu...

• Advertisement

Strange. Flashed perfectly for me :confused:

The download only seems to be 5KB, as opposed to the 5MB of Clockwork recovery. This might be the problem!!!

It's weird, even downloading it using the Goo Manager, it was getting invalid MD5. Trying to download the 2.2.0.1 version from their site got me the 5KB file. Seems better now though, downloading the 6.3MB .img file correctly. And flashed properly this time, so working now! Cheers man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Anyone having any issues with the incall volume being really low? I have the handset at max volume when on a call but I can barely hear who I am talking too. Driving me mad.

• Advertisement

Anyone having any issues with the incall volume being really low? I have the handset at max volume when on a call but I can barely hear who I am talking too. Driving me mad.

No, not at all? Maybe try something like Audiomanager Pro, that lets you adjust the various volume levels?

I see there is a Cyanogenmod 10 preview up now. Looks like all the core functionality is working. I think i will install it today and give it a go.

nedd wrote: »
    I see there is a Cyanogenmod 10 preview up now. Looks like all the core functionality is working. I think i will install it today and give it a go.

Ive been running it since sat. Everything I use seems to be working fine (except the gallery behaving weird). Some battery drain too but that could just be from me arsing around

there seems to be two seperate CM10's on XDA. which one are you running? or are they both the same?

Im running this one. Minor differences but they actually keep the source released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Random question. At the mo I am using the inbox headphones (waiting for my new headphones to be delivered). Anywho there is a button on the headphones obvs and I just want to know how to (if I can) make it do what I want (like you can with iPhone headphones). So I know if I am listening to music and hit the button once it pauses the song. And if I hit it once again it unpauses. Grand. But when I hit it twice it turns the song off and dials the phone (so far it keeps dialing the mammy but I presume that is cos she was the last dialed in the phone!). How do I make it skip song without taking the phone out the pocket and manually doing it?

Ok so I went to Jelly Bean yesterday and about 2 hours later they released a new version...

So I'm on that now, Preview 4. So far so good. Not much difference to be honest. Google Now (which I already had working on ICS) is about it. It does look nice though. I will see how it goes for a few days.

nedd wrote: »
    Not much difference to be honest. Google Now (which I already had working on ICS) is about it.

How did you get Google Now working on ICS?

How did you get Google Now working on ICS?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1747224

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Just picked up a HTC one X on vodafone this morning.

Few things i've noticed, Phone seems to get alarmingly hot when charging at top of the back near the ring around the camera, is this normal?

Touch also seems kinda of weird the phone always seems to think I want to press into something when I'm scrolling through a webpage or say facebook news feed, if I was to try scroll down a picture in Facebook app it would more then likely click into the picture. I am coming from a HTC desire HD so might take some getting used to I suppose.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Did you check for a software update yet?

Yes it just updated when i first got it, seems to be okish now maybe it was just me. Few things, facebook notifications used to be pushed straight to the notification bar now this doesn't seem to happen have it setup in the app and all. Also i liked how on the Desire that the pull down notification bar had a mini settings tab that allowed you to turn on and off wifi mobile data etc.... Can this be put back on?

username?! wrote: »
    Yes it just updated when i first got it, seems to be okish now maybe it was just me. Few things, facebook notifications used to be pushed straight to the notification bar now this doesn't seem to happen have it setup in the app and all. Also i liked how on the Desire that the pull down notification bar had a mini settings tab that allowed you to turn on and off wifi mobile data etc.... Can this be put back on?

Got notifcations fixed using the blackberry facebook trick all is good.

Noticed though my screen seems a bit loose in the cover of the phone makes a clicking noise when pressed.

exactly like this one:

Should I return it I could see it getting worse over time!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I get the exact same clicking sound on my One X. Bottom left of the screen, just above the Back arrow.

Have you had the phone long has it got worse?

Might pop into Vodafone later and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭keredern

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    I'm either getting a one X or a Galaxy S3 in a week or so. Stuck in two minds as to what to go for! I really prefer the look of the one x but benchmarks show the s3 is slightly a better performer. Do any of you guys regret getting the one x over the s3?...I'll probably be rooting it etc and I've heard s3 has an unlocked boot loader and the one X doesn't, is that really a big deal?

I had the One X & HATED it!!!

And that's after drooling over it for so long...& waiting until I could upgrade!

Came from Desire HD & also big fan of HTC!!

Returned it & got the SGS3...am totally in love.

Phone is a dream!!!:)

(Just my opinion!) :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Do you mind explaining what u hated and how the S3 is so much better?

I thought they would be pretty similar....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

keredern wrote: »
    I had the One X & HATED it!!!

And that's after drooling over it for so long...& waiting until I could upgrade!

Came from Desire HD & also big fan of HTC!!

Returned it & got the SGS3...am totally in love.

Phone is a dream!!!:)

(Just my opinion!) :o

Apart from the S3's slightly better benchmark performance, I really can't see how it's so much better...plus, I'd say you can't even notice that difference in general use.

I prefer the look/build quality of the one x, and it's cheaper( a good 40 quid cheaper on PAYG).

Think I'm gonna go for the one X :) ...Is it tricky to root seeing as it doesn't have an unlocked boot loader?..This will be my first proper android phone so not too familiar with the process!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can see why people would prefer the one x over the sg3 or vice versa but I cannot see either phone can be so different in terms of functionally or performance as to hate one and love the other.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

stovelid wrote: »
    I can see why people would prefer the one x over the sg3 or vice versa but I cannot see either phone can be so different in terms of functionally or performance as to hate one and love the other.

Pretty much what I am trying to understand.
    I like both of them
    Imo the build quality of the one X is a bit better but the S3 is a bit faster and a better battery.
    No way are they world's apart....

Advertisement