Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Is there any bricks and mortar shops that I can walk into and buy one of these sim free, I have a tesco mobile micro sim. I tried carphone warehouse and was told they dont do sim free phones. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Is there any bricks and mortar shops that I can walk into and buy one of these sim free, I have a tesco mobile micro sim. I tried carphone warehouse and was told they dont do sim free phones. Thanks!

Buy it with a sim then throw the sim out ? from what im know the phone is unlocked and will take any sim.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I ended up getting it on meteor so it was unlocked. One little issue though, I let it charge and performed the available update about half an hour ago and it still has the green update icon in the middle of the screen, does it take this long?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Guys, is the One X currently one of the best smartphones on the market? I'm still using the original Desire but wouldn't mind upgrading.

Where's the best place to buy sim free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Guys, is the One X currently one of the best smartphones on the market? I'm still using the original Desire but wouldn't mind upgrading.

Where's the best place to buy sim free?

One X or the Galaxy S3 are the 2 flagships (One S is a bit of a beast too)
    Youre gonna be looking at 550-600 everywhere SIM free. Havent seen any cheaper really (that I can remember anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Youre gonna be looking at 550-600 everywhere SIM free. Havent seen any cheaper really (that I can remember anyway)

I think the One S is a wonderful phone even so far as to say it's probably better then the One X for most users unless you really want the extra screen real estate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah the S3 looks fairly good it must be said.

Hard to justify 600 quid on a phone though, and I don't want to tie myself in to any contracts. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

wingnut32 wrote: »
    I ended up getting it on meteor so it was unlocked. One little issue though, I let it charge and performed the available update about half an hour ago and it still has the green update icon in the middle of the screen, does it take this long?

Unplug the charger, It won't finish the update with the charger in, as it tries skipping to USB host/master. Should say it at the beginning of update ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah the S3 looks fairly good it must be said.

Hard to justify 600 quid on a phone though, and I don't want to tie myself in to any contracts. :(

Check adverts.ie
    I picked up a brand new one x with beats headphones for 400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Hold ur horses lad
    AT&T Dropping Price of HTC One X in the States was $199.99 on a two-year contract, now $99.99,
    With the reduced price, the HTC One X will cost half as much (though not at the end of the contract) as the popular Galaxy S III, potentially making it a more attractive option for some buyers.

This is due to a fall off in sales because of increased Galaxy S3 popularity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

bogman wrote: »
    Hold ur horses lad
    AT&T Dropping Price of HTC One X in the States was $199.99 on a two-year contract, now $99.99,

This is due to a fall off in sales because of increased Galaxy S3 popularity

I wouldn't pay much attention to the subsidised price that AT&T are offering tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

They're sim free in 'Fonez' in Corbet court in Galway for €500. Best I've seen so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭loopymum

Will any of the hdmi adaptors work to watch tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I got a screen protector for the one V today, and it has a little cut-out bit on it. But I canni work out where said cut out is supposed to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

at the top of the screen. there's a tiny sensor there for detecting when its held to your ear

dave13 wrote: »
    at the top of the screen. there's a tiny sensor there for detecting when its held to your ear

I can't see any sensor, is it on the right or left side!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Just got paid, so tempted to get one of these!....€519 from three. Never spent so much money on a phone before!....Is it really worth it? :)

hdowney wrote: »
    I can't see any sensor, is it on the right or left side!!!!

To the left of the 'HTC'. If you look closely you can see a tiny hole behind the glass

To the left of the 'HTC'. If you look closely you can see a tiny hole behind the glass

I actually can't see anything :P but I shall put it on that way round so thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

What are the odds of us getting this update?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/2/3216069/android-4-0-4-update-htc-one-x-menu-button

Getting pretty bloody sick of that damn black bar....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I have a wildfire S and I love it but the 150mb internal storage is just pathetic , I've deleted everything I can except one app which I need. At the moment I have 3.98mb available internal space with system update available that I can't download.

Which of the HTC One phones would be best to upgrade to , I've been looking at the specs for the One V which shows 4gb internal storage but after reading forums I noticed people saying its advertised as 4gb memory but actually only 100mb is available.

If I cant find a HTC with better storage I'll have to look at another brand which is shame cos I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My One X says it has 2.11GB internal storage. I have 36 apps installed and 1.48GB free.

Phone storage is 25.24GB, with 20GB free.

It depends on what you want to use the storage for. The One X has no SD card slot, but I don't miss it to be honest.

Also, remember, app2sd is now native since froyo. If anything is too big just throw it to the 25 GB. You can't use it when you mount the USB (there's UMS for you) but it's a small payoff. You really wouldn't worry about space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 redfeilds18

thats a mic not sensor!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

thats a mic not sensor!! :D

i think the mic is on top of the phone beside the headphone connector. the sensor in question is to the left of the HTC Symbol. if you hold it in the right light you can see it through the glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Anyone one else having issues streaming YouTube videos, specifically music videos they always play choppy and skip even if on Wifi and the video is fully loaded, it's like the phone is running out of memory when trying to play and skips.

I had the latest you tube app so uninstalled all updates and retried, same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Your interest is easily peaked, the article says a whole lot of nothing.

• Advertisement

Walkman wrote: »
    Your interest is easily peaked, the article says a whole lot of nothing.

A Sense update that improves general performance and reduces lag. I don't see how it isn't interesting, especially for someone like myself who doesn't root.

Three's offer of €40pm for free phone. 2 year contact . What you guys think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

LakesKeane wrote: »

Of what? How much would you use the phone? I went this route and and the €40.66 traiff was for 350 flexi units which is 350 minutes or 700 texts. I upped it to the next tariff up as it wasn't enough for me. I'm also on a 24 month contract and had to pay a €150 deposit.

Insurgent wrote: »

Of what? How much would you use the phone? I went this route and and the €40.66 traiff was for 350 flexi units which is 350 minutes or 700 texts. I upped it to the next tariff up as it wasn't enough for me. I'm also on a 24 month contract and had to pay a €150 deposit.

150e deposit ? Is that normal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

Anybody with the one s have the screen jumping issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Update released for non branded phones today, anybody got this yet?

http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/htc-completes-one-series-2x-rom-eu-updates-wit-r644

Checked for updates but got nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Karen23 wrote: »
    I have a wildfire S and I love it but the 150mb internal storage is just pathetic , I've deleted everything I can except one app which I need. At the moment I have 3.98mb available internal space with system update available that I can't download.

Which of the HTC One phones would be best to upgrade to , I've been looking at the specs for the One V which shows 4gb internal storage but after reading forums I noticed people saying its advertised as 4gb memory but actually only 100mb is available.

If I cant find a HTC with better storage I'll have to look at another brand which is shame cos I like it.

So I went for the One V because I got it as a free upgrade from Meteor. Delivered on Friday , so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Has anyone actually got this update yet in the UK or Ireland?

Just curious as to Speed and Battery gains, was thinking of getting rid of my one x, but will hold on till after this update and see.

150e deposit ? Is that normal ?

Depends on Three's credit scoring which I think is pretty daft after hearing some peoples problems with it on the Three forum here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the best way i found to increase battery life was to uninstall viber. that thing has been getting steadily worse for months now and it's such a battery hog and for how little it actually gets used i just uninstalled it and haven't looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

vibe666 wrote: »
    the best way i found to increase battery life was to uninstall viber. that thing has been getting steadily worse for months now and it's such a battery hog and for how little it actually gets used i just uninstalled it and haven't looked back.

This your own findings or have others noticed same? I use Viber quite a bit, never notice it on percentage breakdown on how battery was used

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

vibe666 wrote: »

Hi,
    This is a member of the Viber R&D Team.

Please make sure that Viber is the cause for the battery drain by isolating Viber (having no other apps running) on a device with stock ROM (custom ROMs may cause this problem).

We conduct strict testings in our labs with several devices and other than when making a call (when it is natural for the battery to be used), we did not come across any significant battery drain when Viber was simply running in the background. Furthermore, over the course of over 15 hours, on average the battery use was only 2%.

You can find additional information on tests performed by Viber users themselves, which show similar results, at:
    http://whrl.pl/Rc0APn

* Having explained the above, please keep in mind that Viber, at this stage, does not officially support HTC One, and that could be a *possible* reason for the relatively high battery consumption.

For more questions/doubts, please don't hesitate to contact me :)

Regards,
    the Viber Team.

Insurgent wrote: »
    Depends on Three's credit scoring which I think is pretty daft after hearing some peoples problems with it on the Three forum here!

Managed to get away without a deposit as I have a history with them. Got the one x. Loving it at the moment. Any 'Must have' apps I should know about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Any one experience any overheating issues when charging? Particularly in top right corner. It's the hottest I've seen on a phone

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Viber wrote: »

For more questions/doubts, please don't hesitate to contact me :)

Regards,
    the Viber Team.

Any idea why viber keeps crashing on my stock vodafone one X?
    And why I am getting delivery failures on the crash reports?

I did post on your FB Page but got no answer.....

Any one experience any overheating issues when charging? Particularly in top right corner. It's the hottest I've seen on a phone

Think there is a 'Must have Apps' thread around here somewhere but it really depends on what you use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

@mik_da_man- Hi! Thank you for letting us know please contact us at: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm/13 so we can get more info. regarding this issue. Thanks!

God yes (I have the One V). I was charging it and it rang, so picked it up to answer and near burnt the ear off myself

srdb20 wrote: »
    Has anyone actually got this update yet in the UK or Ireland?

Just curious as to Speed and Battery gains, was thinking of getting rid of my one x, but will hold on till after this update and see.

haven't received this yet, has anyone here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

haven't received this yet, has anyone here?

Nope and been checking couple of time a day since they announced it.

You'll only get it if you're unbranded, check your CID and see... typical o2 and three taking weeeeekkks to get it sorted out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement