Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭talla

I can safely say that there are no problems with battery life now after completing my first full work day with the phone.
    Took it off the charger at 7am and at 9pm it still has 45% left.
    Today consisted of:

-Synching to MS exchange every 15 minutes
    -All background data synching services active inclusive blink feed, google reader, gmail etc, viber etc
    -About 1.5 hours of web browsing, app browsing
    -Just under 3 hours of listening to Podcasts
    -about 45 mins talktime

I don't believe anyone should have any second thoughts regarding purchasing this phone based on the battery.
    Definitely the best mobile device experience I've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I agree about the battery. It has been great for me so far and better than the galaxy s3 I had before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

Anyone have problems putting music on it won't read some track's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Just got mine today, can't say much that other people haven't said already, fantastic phone, much better than the Xperia Z. Using it tomorrow after a first night charge should be interesting.

Have it rooted (after a very nerve racking hour) and running on ARHD 3.5, people with carrier branded and locked phones be very very careful and read up about flashing the recovery before doing anything.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Has anyone upgraded from the HTC One X? Interested to hear opinions.

My One X has gone horribly slow and laggy these days, and I only did a factory reset 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭talla

Zascar wrote: »
    Has anyone upgraded from the HTC One X? Interested to hear opinions.

My One X has gone horribly slow and laggy these days, and I only did a factory reset 6 weeks ago.

I found the battery life on the HTC One X to be terrible, so had to move back to the SG3 about 2 months ago as just couldn't get through 9 - 5 once the One X was updated to jelly bean.
    Never had any performance issues with the One X, just bad battery life. I had noticed the SG3 was getting slower week by week but was holding off on doing a factory reset as I was too lazy to reinstall everything.

allen175 wrote: »
    Just got mine today, can't say much that other people haven't said already, fantastic phone, much better than the Xperia Z. Using it tomorrow after a first night charge should be interesting.

Have it rooted (after a very nerve racking hour) and running on ARHD 3.5, people with carrier branded and locked phones be very very careful and read up about flashing the recovery before doing anything.

Am trying to hold off rooting as long as possible.....still going strong!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Can't get it to connect to my Nokia car kit. Anyone else have any success?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

talla wrote: »
    I found the battery life on the HTC One X to be terrible, so had to move back to the SG3 about 2 months ago as just couldn't get through 9 - 5 once the One X was updated to jelly bean.
    Never had any performance issues with the One X, just bad battery life. I had noticed the SG3 was getting slower week by week but was holding off on doing a factory reset as I was too lazy to reinstall everything.

My X is still flying, battery is awful lately though. I know the snapdragon is a far more efficient beast than the old tegra, but battery life is the one thing that's making me hold off on this.... That and the lack of a menu button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

My first smart phone was an iPhone 3g, bought when it first came out. After a day with the phone, I was like WOW, this is incredible. I found the UI so smooth and intuitive and then there were apps like eirtext that blew me away at the time. I loved my iPhone and could not put it down.

My next three phones were androids, and they were all proclaimed iPhone killers by the android community and some of the media. In order they were the Desire, the Xperia arc and the Galaxy Note.

At this stage I was actively choosing android because there features I needed to have that apple didn't offer like Bluetooth file sharing, sd cards, using phone as an external drive, the ability to download any file through the browser and find an app to open / play it, bigger screen, customisation etc etc. In fact, I could never see myself going back to iPhone.

But, none of those phones wowed me in the same way as the iPhone in terms of the smoothness of the UI and how intuitive it was. Obviously there were huge advantages to android for me, a self confessed phone geek, but the phones in my opinion were lacking the style and buttery smoothness of iPhone.

UNTIL NOW,

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the true iPhone slayer. The HTC One. I haven't been this excited about a phone ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

hey,

i know people are talking that you can change the long press of the back button to work as a menu button by going into "Displays, gestures & buttons" but I have no option here to change this.

Ive the HTC ONE unbranded from Meteor. Andriod V4.1.2, Sense 5.0, Software 1.28.401.7

Anyone any idea how I can change this. there are no updates on my phone waiting to install.

cheers
    matt

hey,

i know people are talking that you can change the long press of the back button to work as a menu button by going into "Displays, gestures & buttons" but I have no option here to change this.

Ive the HTC ONE unbranded from Meteor. Andriod V4.1.2, Sense 5.0, Software 1.28.401.7

Anyone any idea how I can change this. there are no updates on my phone waiting to install.

cheers
    matt

It was there in a previous firmware, but has been removed for whatever reason. HTC will probably bring it back in one of the OTA's. Not sure why it was removed though.

Delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Basil3 wrote: »
    It was there in a previous firmware, but has been removed for whatever reason. HTC will probably bring it back in one of the OTA's. Not sure why it was removed though.

cheers, some apps still need menu so i hope they sort this soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

cheers, some apps still need menu so i hope they sort this soon

If you root there is a mod that can be installed to bring the functionality back.

Apparently Google were not happy as it broke some functionality in app so made HTC remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

talla wrote: »
    I can safely say that there are no problems with battery life now after completing my first full work day with the phone.
    Took it off the charger at 7am and at 9pm it still has 45% left.
    Today consisted of:

-Synching to MS exchange every 15 minutes
    -All background data synching services active inclusive blink feed, google reader, gmail etc, viber etc
    -About 1.5 hours of web browsing, app browsing
    -Just under 3 hours of listening to Podcasts
    -about 45 mins talktime

I don't believe anyone should have any second thoughts regarding purchasing this phone based on the battery.
    Definitely the best mobile device experience I've had.

I'm finding the exact same. Yesterday was my first day using the phone "normally" as i was back in work so between texts, few calls, loads of group viber messages and a bit of surfing i still had 33% battery left on the phone going to bed at midnight last night - something i never remember with any previous smartphone i've owned.

I'm actually surprised some reviews had mentioned dodgy battery life? where they using preproduction units or something? i think its brilliant

Am having a bit of a problem with media scanner wakelock with mine. Think I'm going to root (and therefore wipe) my phone later today, so should be solved. Still a bit of a pita though.

Do you mean the phone keeps waking to do a media scan during the night?

jones wrote: »
    Do you mean the phone keeps waking to do a media scan during the night?

Yeah, if you look at my screenshot, the phone was held await all night. Tried the rescan media app, which usually works, but no joy

Just to echo the battery comments, Im finding myself going to bed later, purely to try wear the battery down closer to empty (to stop battery memory issues happening with the first charges!)

Today, I unplugged mine this morning at 7am. Was online for about 20 minutes. Listened to music for 45 minutes this morning, streaming out from my mac at home using Tonido (so using mobile data at H+ speeds for 45 minutes). Been using it on and off since then, maybe another half hour worth of browsing and emails. Its currently at 70%, my iphone would normally be around 55% at this time (without listening to any streaming music). Ive also installed and removed around 10 apps in that time.

As a seperate piece, for those who may be used to the "find my iPhone" there is a similar android version called android lost. Its a web based system that allows you take photos from the front camera, check the last 10 messages sent and received, calls made and received, its location, and also turn the volume on/alert if you cant remember where you left it. There are a few other parts to it too. Just install it on the phone and you can access it all online. I tried it out and works a treat. Managed to take a picture of myself, from the web, on the phone. You can also force on loads of commands (turn on GPS/WIFI/Data) etc. You can also access the sim card details in relation to the sim number and what the mobile number is. Very hand if someone robs it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

calabi yau wrote: »
    My first smart phone was an iPhone 3g, bought when it first came out. After a day with the phone, I was like WOW, this is incredible. I found the UI so smooth and intuitive and then there were apps like eirtext that blew me away at the time. I loved my iPhone and could not put it down.

My next three phones were androids, and they were all proclaimed iPhone killers by the android community and some of the media. In order they were the Desire, the Xperia arc and the Galaxy Note.

At this stage I was actively choosing android because there features I needed to have that apple didn't offer like Bluetooth file sharing, sd cards, using phone as an external drive, the ability to download any file through the browser and find an app to open / play it, bigger screen, customisation etc etc. In fact, I could never see myself going back to iPhone.

But, none of those phones wowed me in the same way as the iPhone in terms of the smoothness of the UI and how intuitive it was. Obviously there were huge advantages to android for me, a self confessed phone geek, but the phones in my opinion were lacking the style and buttery smoothness of iPhone.

UNTIL NOW,

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the true iPhone slayer. The HTC One. I haven't been this excited about a phone ever.
    My sentiments exactly. That's why I'm going to try android as a change of pace after only having an iPhone once I can get a hold of it on vodafone prepay.

Other android phones didn't really do it for me in design, build quality, smoothness and all of that. This is a different beast though. Interesting to see how ios 7 shapes up, but I want a larger screen and that won't be around on iPhone until next year.

antodeco wrote: »
    Just to echo the battery comments, Im finding myself going to bed later, purely to try wear the battery down closer to empty (to stop battery memory issues happening with the first charges!)

Today, I unplugged mine this morning at 7am. Was online for about 20 minutes. Listened to music for 45 minutes this morning, streaming out from my mac at home using Tonido (so using mobile data at H+ speeds for 45 minutes).

Just to pick up on something there do you actually get the 'H+' icon on top of your HTC one? I havent seen it at all since i changed from the S2 (where i had it all the time) i assumed i was still getting the H+ speed but it was just showing H as the icon. Its a nothing thing really just something i picked up on since friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Just to pick up on something there do you actually get the 'H+' icon on top of your HTC one? I havent seen it at all since i changed from the S2 (where i had it all the time) i assumed i was still getting the H+ speed but it was just showing H as the icon. Its a nothing thing really just something i picked up on since friday

Only ever seen a H on my HTC One and Sensation, rarely it says 3G

• Registered Users Posts: 21 limp2010

I would highly recommend I installing nova launcher. It gets rid of Blinkfeed and it gets rid of annoying vertical scrolling in the app launcher and customises the dock to have as many apps as you want.
    The problem I have with the battery is the slow charging time. Compared to the iPhone 5 it takes a lot longer also if you use the phone while it's charging it takes ages for it to charge. Other than that it's a beast of a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

limp2010 wrote: »
    I would highly recommend I installing nova launcher. It gets rid of Blinkfeed and it gets rid of annoying vertical scrolling in the app launcher and customises the dock to have as many apps as you want.
    The problem I have with the battery is the slow charging time. Compared to the iPhone 5 it takes a lot longer also if you use the phone while it's charging it takes ages for it to charge. Other than that it's a beast of a phone.

Thats cause the iPhone battery is smaller. I dont know how it gets away with having comparable battery life with so much less mah.

You could get a 2 amp charger :) That charges a phone up much quicker :)

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Only ever seen a H on my HTC One and Sensation, rarely it says 3G

Apologies, it does just say H. It is at H+ speed at the moment though (7.5Mbps down, roughly 2Mbps up)

Yeah for some reason HTC dont seem to show the + part whereas my samsung would go from 3G to H to H+.

whats everyones thoughts on blinkfeed? i think it looks good but i just use a different home screen with the good auld clock as my homepage ha.

Apologies, it does just say H. It is at H+ speed at the moment though (7.5Mbps down, roughly 2Mbps up)

From my experiences theming status bar icons for HTC ROMs, the H+ icons are there, they just don't get activated for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

well lads, not sure if this is the place to ask, but im wondering if there is any HTC phone out now, or coming soon, that can compete with the new galaxy s4?

i might be in the market for an upgrade, and im a die hard HTC fan since the G1, so im hoping they've something lined up thats 1080p quad core etc etc.

currently sporting a DesireHD, but its got a complete overhaul of revolution ROM with noscript++, 1.8ghz OC etc etc

im kinda lost in all the One X variations??

Well your in the right thread! i went with the HTC one over the S4 for a number of reasons but its almost on a par powerwise with the S4 IMO

• Advertisement

Well your in the right thread! i went with the HTC one over the S4 for a number of reasons but its almost on a par powerwise with the S4 IMO
    thanks mate.

do you have a link somewhere, i cant work around all the different models/variations?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    thanks mate.

do you have a link somewhere, i cant work around all the different models/variations?

It's very simple. HTC's flagships the last few years have gone:

DHD
    Sensation
    One X here (last year's flagship)
    One here

You don't need to worry about any of the other variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

My htc one seems to be heating up more than usual. The back is very warm to touch when I use it for awhile . I've been browsing the Web for 15 mins and it's already heated up. Is this happening anyone else. I remember my desire used to do this and it had to be sent back.

DHD
    Sensation
    One here

thats exactly the info i was looking for.

what plans are ye running, or is it better to get it sim free type thing?

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    My htc one seems to be heating up more than usual. The back is very warm to touch when I use it for awhile . I've been browsing the Web for 15 mins and it's already heated up. Is this happening anyone else. I remember my desire used to do this and it had to be sent back.

Do you have the temperature readings?
    Most likely it's just because aluminium conducts heat better than plastic, so it's going to feel warmer, but that heat is being dissipated and taken away from the internals of the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

DHD
    Sensation
    One here

There is the upgraded version of the One X, its called the One X+ with higher clocked cpu, higher capacity battery and 64GB of memory.

beno619 wrote: »
    Most likely it's just because aluminium conducts heat better than plastic, so it's going to feel warmer, but that heat is being dissipated and taken away from the internals of the phone.

Yeah you're probably right thanks. I just checked the temps and it peaked at 35c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

(sim-free)One S jelly bean update available ota now don't know if already mentioned

How can I check the hottest battery temp it reached?

• Advertisement

There is the upgraded version of the One X, its called the One X+ with higher clocked cpu, higher capacity battery and 64GB of memory.

Stop trying to confuse him.... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

beno619 wrote: »
    DarkBlonde wrote: »
    Yeah you're probably right thanks. I just checked the temps and it peaked at 35c.

Yeah I noticed the same straight away also. (upgraded from a DHD).

Unlike the others in a few previous threads I have managed to run the battery out in a working day. Took it off charge at 7am and was on it's knees by 9pm. However I was using it heavily all day as i was on the road and I purposely chose not to use my charger. It's a great improvement on the old DHD as it's battery was fairly shot.

Today however is another working day. Phone off charge at 8am and is on about and I'm on 69% now. Didn't do nearly as much browsing / streaming etc but probably did talk as much on the phone. Also used it as a sat nav on Saturday when I collected it and did the usual messing about with it and it kept up for about 3/4 of the day (wasn't fully charged when I collected it) so very happy with it on the battery front so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

My HTC HD2 is finally on the way out.. Its making a crazy humming noise when I answer a call. To be fair, I pushed the limits of the phone way beyond what it was built for. Love the phone! so now I'm interested in the One. My only question is - what could the Google X phone have that this doesn't have? And will the extras really make much if a difference..

My HTC HD2 is finally on the way out.. Its making a crazy humming noise when I answer a call. To be fair, I pushed the limits of the phone way beyond what it was built for. Love the phone! so now I'm interested in the One. My only question is - what could the Google X phone have that this doesn't have? And will the extras really make much if a difference..

The rumoured specs are pretty crazy tho only definite IMHO is that they'll still a crazy big battery in it and possibly stock android depending on if this is a Google or Motorola device.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

The battery life I think is the best selling point of a smartphone at this stage. All this Sense and Touchwiz craic is nonsense to me. Is it possible for HTC to make a better capacity battery later, has any previous phone done this?

How can I check the hottest battery temp it reached?
    I have gsam battery monitor and read the temp from the graph.

• Advertisement

Currently on 14% battery since 7am. Heavier usage including streaming music and around 60 texts with vibrate on. I wanted to push the phone as much as I could! My iPhone would have died already by now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

whats everyones thoughts on blinkfeed? i think it looks good but i just use a different home screen with the good auld clock as my homepage ha.

Don't know what to make of this. I like the idea and it looks good, but I use Flipboard anyway, which does pretty much the same thing, except it's more customisable. It's annoying that you are so limited in your sources to customise the feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Lads, does anyone know when the next stock of HTC One phones on prepay will be available on Meteor? I was in one of the stores and they estimated a couple of weeks.

Finally rooted yesterday, had a bit of trouble with the drivers for my new laptop. Even though HTC Sync Manager was working, my phone wasn't recognised when in bootloader.

In any case, it's great to have all my Titanium backups on my phone, along with Extended Quick Settings and Advanced Power Menu. Also, good being able to long press back button for menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Finally rooted yesterday, had a bit of trouble with the drivers for my new laptop. Even though HTC Sync Manager was working, my phone wasn't recognised when in bootloader.

In any case, it's great to have all my Titanium backups on my phone, along with Extended Quick Settings and Advanced Power Menu. Also, good being able to long press back button for menu.

Going to do this this evening I reckon. Got the phone yesterday and was going to hold out, but have decided I want to get it root it. More nervous over rooting this one for some reason. It never cost me a thought on my previous Desire, Sensation and One X.

Was it relatively straight forward, (apart from the drivers etc) and did you just follow the XDA guidelines?

• Advertisement
Advertisement