Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

Going to do this this evening I reckon. Got the phone yesterday and was going to hold out, but have decided I want to get it root it. More nervous over rooting this one for some reason. It never cost me a thought on my previous Desire, Sensation and One X.

Was it relatively straight forward, (apart from the drivers etc) and did you just follow the XDA guidelines?

I followed the same process as with the One X, using htcdev.com. Only had problems because I have a new laptop and there were issues with Windows 8, being 64 bit and/or USB 3.0. Got it sorted in the end though....let me know if you have any probs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Anyone buy this phone from o2 and not receive a phone charger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

I read up on that before, doing a quick google search shows up that HTC and o2 have agreed not to supply chargers, more here http://www.phonearena.com/news/O2s-HTC-One-X-owners-no-charger-no-problem_id38886/comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

For those looking for toggle settings, was notified of a lovely little app on my blinkfeed no less

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57577775-285/get-android-4.2-quick-settings-on-any-device/

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Smashy smashy :(

htcpo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

antodeco wrote: »
    Smashy smashy :(

htcpo.jpg

Ah jaysus, how did you manage that ???? :(

Not mine thankfully! It was on XDA developers. Straight drop down on its face (nowhere near the edges).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Ouch. That's sickening. It got a 1 star repairability score from iFixit too.

I've been minding my N4 like a newborn baby since i got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Not mine thankfully! It was on XDA developers. Straight drop down on its face (nowhere near the edges).

Ouch! I'm nearly scared to leave the house until I get a cover and leaving it down on soft surfaces only.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Thats scary looking. I'm still waiting on a case for mine. Until it arrives I leave it in the box when im not using it. A bit extreme but better to be safe than sorry. Nothing worse than the feeling you get when your screen cracks. Sickner.

• Advertisement

The biggest issue im finding with reagrds to the design, is that its not very grippy. The alluminium is very slippy in your hand. Nearly dropped it when trying to hit the power button when using one hand. I ordered my case on Monday, so hopefully it will be at home today! :D

The biggest issue im finding with reagrds to the design, is that its not very grippy. The alluminium is very slippy in your hand. Nearly dropped it when trying to hit the power button when using one hand. I ordered my case on Monday, so hopefully it will be at home today! :D

Where did you order from? I got one on eBay, coming from England. From experience, it takes a week. Ridiculous, considering I get stuff from NZ just as fast.

eBay too. Clear case I got. I just checked there and even though I bought it on Sunday it wasnt posted until Tuesday afternoon. God knows when Ill get it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I generally get a skin for it, or get an invisishield and that generally solves the grip problem . Adds grip and protects the aluminium without adding bulk.

This is the one that I got for it

Hopefully its not too bulky.

I also changed my insurance over on to it. I have a ufirst account with Ulster Bank, so you get free phone insurance off them. Stuck in the IMEI and it recognised it straight away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

i like the look of that case!! there's nothing worse than getting a lovely looking phone then covering it in some gaudy case - kinda the defeats the purpose of said phone to begin with ha! might get one of those cases though.

Just wondering when are we supposed to be getting the 4.2.2 update? i've read its anywhere from a month to 2? only a small update but i'd love if they brought back hold back key for options. the onscreen key seems like a step backwards to me

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Just to make One owners cringe and maybe a warning to get a case or insurance, a HTC One v iPhone 5 Drop test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwE9PGDnlvs

Wondering though how they can call it a unibody when the front aluminium grills are shown in the video to be separate pieces as the lower flies off in a fall.

Anyone got a preference for phone insurance in Ireland as I reckon this phone may need it and a lot of the insurers I hear are rip-off merchants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Just to make One owners cringe and maybe a warning to get a case or insurance, a HTC One v iPhone 5 Drop test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwE9PGDnlvs

Wondering though how they can call it a unibody when the front aluminium grills are shown in the video to be separate pieces as the lower flies off in a fall.

Anyone got a preference for phone insurance in Ireland as I reckon this phone may need it and a lot of the insurers I hear are rip-off merchants.

I also questioned it being called uni body. All this phone is is an aluminium back with plastic glued to it to form the sides fake grills (the speaker isn't nearly as big as the grills would suggest) made from aluminium stuck to the front with the screen stuck to the plastic in between the fake grills.

Notice also how the plastic rim cracked too.

All this I want a premium aluminium phone with a large screen, phone is as slippery as a bar of soap and the large screen makes it unwieldy to use with one hand makes people affraid to drop it, so they cover it in plastic anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Did you use parcel motel for it?

I've my One left in the drawer beside the bed for the week while I'm at work in case anything happens it. The biggest thing I need a cover for is to keep it clean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

Those drop tests are nonsense, if you're not using a rig to drop them then you simply can't compare.

Those drop tests are nonsense, if you're not using a rig to drop them then you simply can't compare.

I don't think there's a huge difference if it's dropped from your hand or a rig. If it lands on concrete face down. Most phones will shatter.

These drop test are stupid though. They all just prove a point that objects can break.

A rig can control the angle the phone is dropped at precisely. A hand can't. A degree of difference could be the difference between a shattered screen and not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

for anyone interested in a military grade phone cover for when youre doing something other than walking around, over on reddit they recommend a Pelican i1015. its actually a US army own brand type thing, and it doesnt cost the world. ebay seems the best place to get it.

says its for iphone, but apparently it suits almost anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Is there any reason why I shouldn't get one from 3 over Meteor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Branding and cid are reasons why you might not want to buy from a mobile operator.
    If you don't care about these then price over whatever term is the only difference.

• Advertisement

How so? Both phones fell exactly the same.

Screen, back and corners.

The difference was, whilst the iPhone shattered the screen, the One fell apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads how would ye rate the earphones?
    For me build is cheap and nasty but i think they sound pretty good with a good seal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Has anyone had any problems yet?

I seem to have a proximity sensor issues the screen is becoming active during calls.

Case wise I got the HTC one from Amazon for 20 delivered makes the phone a lot more useable as it's not as slippy. The only thing is I don't think it's as good as the speck cases as there's no rubber inside for shock absorption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

A rig can control the angle the phone is dropped at precisely. A hand can't. A degree of difference could be the difference between a shattered screen and not.

Do you generally drop your phone from a rig in your daily life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

jones wrote: »
    whats everyones thoughts on blinkfeed? i think it looks good but i just use a different home screen with the good auld clock as my homepage ha.

I thought BlinkFeed was the kind of gimmick I'd absolutely hate, but despite myself I've found I;m getting slightly addicted to it.

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    My htc one seems to be heating up more than usual. The back is very warm to touch when I use it for awhile . I've been browsing the Web for 15 mins and it's already heated up. Is this happening anyone else. I remember my desire used to do this and it had to be sent back.

Mine's getting quite hot to the touch too, after any kind of sustained downloading or playing games. Apparently that's just something it does, though I'd be worried unless everyone's is doing it.
    Internally, the battery temp doesn't seem to be going about about 41, so maybe it's just conducting more of the heat to the surface. It's not quite uncomfortable to hold, but if it got much higher it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Price?

Meteor:
    199 up front + 18 month contract @ 25.41, total 656, 36.47 per month.

3:
    99 up front + 24 month contract @ 40.66, total 1075, 44.79 per month.

Plus you're out of contract 6 months earlier, better resale value for the phone.

Unless you're going to be using a ton of data and the 'all you can eat' from 3 is going to save you a lot versus the 1GB in the Meteor plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

alexmcred wrote: »
    Has anyone had any problems yet?

I seem to have a proximity sensor issues the screen is becoming active during calls.

Case wise I got the HTC one from Amazon for 20 delivered makes the phone a lot more useable as it's not as slippy. The only thing is I don't think it's as good as the speck cases as there's no rubber inside for shock absorption.

I got the htc case too. It does make the phone feel more secure but I'm not 100 per cent sold on it. I would normally get case mate tough for previous phones but wanted to try something different less boring this time. With the case mate one I wouldn't be worried about dropping my phone but with this htc one I don't feel too confident in its ability to protect the screen from a fall. As you said no shock absorbing rubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

My tuppance worth. I’ve had the phone a week now and have come from a Galaxy Nexus

Speed – The One is a rocket compared to my Nexus, of which I never thought was slow, but having the new phone has shown it to be off the pace.

Display – Hands down the One is streets better than the Super Amoled HD screen. At first I noticed some blooming, and still do. The One arrived on full brightness, but when in power saving mode (just like an LCD TV), the blacks get blacker etc and the blooming is less pronounced. I probably should have taken some pics of the side by side to see just how much the One is an improvement. Outside in sunlight the Nexus as does the S3 really suffer, the One has no such problem. Its sharper too, making the icons on the Nexus look alittle smudgy.

Camera – Although it’s a 4MP shooter, it again produces far better photos than the Nexus, but that was never a strong point on the Nexus. A big improvement. One thing I noticed is that it seems to produce better photos consistently, no blur, no having to retake the photo etc. Haven’t tried ZOEyet.

Software – Sense 5.0 is loaded and JB 4.1.2. I know the Nexus has 4.2.2, other than Photo Sphere and the swipe to text feature I’m not sure what I’m missing, so if I’m unsure, I’m not missing much in my eyes. Sense5.0 is very light and again imo really does improve on the stock feel. Not everyone will agree with that but I’m standing behind it. I really like the sense skin. I like the way they have made the home screen customisation available via the home screen. I like the way the texting layout looks, and I don’t mind the blink feed either. It’s useful on the train. If you don’t want it on your initial home screen just move it over.

Build – Hard to say if it’s durable, I don’t know and don’t want to find out. What I will say is that it has most definitely got a very premium feel and is chalk and cheese compared to the Nexus. Funny enough, I’ve read complaints about it being slippy. Perhaps I’ve got accustomed to a slippy phone but the Nexus when I first got it felt far slippier, to the extent that I hairline cracked the screen after a month. I’m not saying it’s not slippy, but hasn’t been an issue for me.

Sound – Hands down the best phone I have ever heard from anyphone. The call clarity is stunningly good and the sound from youtube or similar is better than my iPad, it’s that good (for a phone of course). On the first day it rang whilst on the Train and it was embarrassing. Never mind the call I just wanted to turn it down!

Battery – I get a full day with about 30% left when going to bed. The Nexus (always on full brightness) needed to be either charged during the day, but if it wasn’t it would be dead by 8pm. Big improvement.

Where could I improve it? I haven’t figured out how to one touch silence the phone yet, if any exists. The Power button on top I’m finding difficult to get used to and isn’t the most responsive or easy to get at with one hand. There was some great features built into the Nexus and ICS for animated video capturing, big eyes, teeth etc. I think that’s gone, I like it. BTW, the Nexus definitely got hotter than this phone imo. I know people have mentioned the One getting hot. Mine is definitely getting warm, but certainly not as hot as the Nexus. I was never worried about that and won’t worry about this oneeither!

Dare I say (and yes I know another comparison) but this really is a premium look and feel phone compared only to the iphone (caveat, IMO), but with the flexibility, fun and features of Android :D

The reviewer was clearly trying to stoke the whole Apple v Android thing (I've no interest in that) but rig or no rig I think its more a note for others that its a very beautiful & very expensive phone but its not invincible. If you drop it (or your an idiot like me) on a hard surface its going to be damaged. Blasphemy to kill it.

For the 1st time in 15 years of owning, and many selling, mobiles I'm picking up insurance for the 1st few months at least while I check if I'm more clumsy with the One than my smaller more block like and grippy iphone 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

agreed

The reviewer was clearly trying to stoke the whole Apple v Android thing (I've no interest in that) but rig or no rig I think its more a note for others that its a very beautiful & very expensive phone but its not invincible. If you drop it (or your an idiot like me) on a hard surface its going to be damaged. Blasphemy to kill it.

For the 1st time in 15 years of owning, and many selling, mobiles I'm picking up insurance for the 1st few months at least while I check if I'm more clumsy with the One than my smaller more block like and grippy iphone 4.

Who are you using? I used to have insurance in England but find it a rip off here, and have heard that they try their best to avoid a payout.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Who are you using? I used to have insurance in England but find it a rip off here, and have heard that they try their best to avoid a payout.

I'm not with anyone yet (still waiting on the 64gb One) and asked in an earlier post if anyone had any opinions on which insurer in Ireland is good but didn;t get any replies. I used to work in mobile sales and while a decade ago it wasn't hard to get a claim processed I've heard its become much harder to get sorted. Its become very American.

Anyone have any ideas on the best phone insurers in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I'm not with anyone yet (still waiting on the 64gb One) and asked in an earlier post if anyone had any opinions on which insurer in Ireland is good but didn;t get any replies. I used to work in mobile sales and while a decade ago it wasn't hard to get a claim processed I've heard its become much harder to get sorted. Its become very American.

Anyone have any ideas on the best phone insurers in Ireland.

When I was on T-Mo in the UK, I used their insurance which cost £6 a month. I had my Hero stolen at work at 11am (my fault, I left it lying around and realised 5 mins later....by the time I got back it was gone), and at 2pm I walked into a T-Mo shop and they gave me a new handset. No questions asked.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards gadgetinsurance.ie. Assuming they have the same policy, I'll pay €70 upfront and that will cover for €500. Will also cover some of my other gadgets. They changed their underwriter last year, before then you could insure 5 phones for the one fee, now it's one phone and up to 4 gadgets.

Edit: Just looking at mobilecover.ie, they have very reasonable rates, but the One isn't on their list at the moment. Only €6 a month for the top level of cover for the One X. Will give them a bell.

Edit again: Even though the One X is only €6 a month, the One is €12.99 a month, and is under the Galaxy S3/iPhone section....

t|nt|n wrote: »

I'd say you'd be very very lucky to get ahold of that from outside the US

• Advertisement

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Do you generally drop your phone from a rig in your daily life?

It's called science. Look it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

http://asia.cnet.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one-hands-on-62221036.htm

SGS4 vs the One from CNET. This is the first side-by-side hands on comparison I've seen, might be of interest to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

SteM wrote: »
    http://asia.cnet.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one-hands-on-62221036.htm

SGS4 vs the One from CNET. This is the first side-by-side hands on comparison I've seen, might be of interest to someone.

Dont really agree with the Camera feature comparison, you can Do a lot more with you Zoe's on the One than you can with pics on the s4.

It's called science. Look it up.

Jesus talking about science :-)

Is a drop that. Not a rocket launch great . If a phone calls it will be damaged or way or another.

Sorry to repeat a posted question but can someone please please help me find out if I can use the US Developer edition (launching in 30 minutes) in Ireland. I'm likely emigrating within 2yrs to the USA so I'm happy if all I'm losing here is Irish LTE access as its not even available yet. Looking at the frequencies can I use HSDPA/HSPA+ in Ireland. Help.

http://technosamigos.com/htc-one-developer-edition-now-available-with-bootloader-unlocked/

I dont mean any offense but as was posted earlier the chances of getting the developer edition from the states would be nigh on impossible i reckon? Unless you have one sourced already?

jones wrote: »
    I dont mean any offense but as was posted earlier the chances of getting the developer edition from the states would be nigh on impossible i reckon? Unless you have one sourced already?

No offense taken at all :). I'm trying my best and the price is right. They just opened pre-orders 40 minutes ago. Have an address over there I can send it to. Emobile just said they are on 900 and 1800 gsm bands but couldn't tell me anything about HSPA network frequency. Am I missing something regards frequencies supported by the Irish networks? Can anyone help?

I'd say it should work fine apart from LTE or course but don't take my word for it i'd wait for someone more knowledgable on US networks to answer this man

Holy shiatsu :eek:

The glass isn't even fused to the LCD. I see a future of dust under the screen

And it looks like the volume rocker is plastic too :eek:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/5/4187006/what-you-should-check-closely-when-unboxing-your-htc-one

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    Holy shiatsu :eek:

The glass isn't even fused to the LCD. I see a future of dust under the screen

And it looks like the volume rocker is plastic too :eek:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/5/4187006/what-you-should-check-closely-when-unboxing-your-htc-one

What a non-article. I can't believe so much attention is being given to the fact that ifixit didn't have a clue how to tear down the phone. Surely the speaker grill coming off in the drop test would have given a bit of a clue.

I've never worried about how the internals are situated in a phone before, nor have I ever cared how easy it is to pull to pieces, so I'm not going to start now.

Advertisement