Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

Guys, sometimes in my HTC one I do not get notification of email arrival I.e. sound notification and visual notification on email homescreen (where it shows 1, 2, 3, emails on the envelope).
    Other times I do get notifications. Can't work it out. I have no apps to silence notifications st particular times and notification settings appear to be correctly set for my two email accounts.
    I can see the emails no prob when I go into email it just I was not notified they were there. Interestingly when I go into email it does not show them as new emails ie with the yellow banner. Any suggestions? Thanks

I've had a similar problem with a desire s a few weeks back. Disable the email notifications and then re-enable them fixed it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

If its the gmail app it might be because they are social or promotions emails which aren't set to give notifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

For such agood phone why is deleting sms messages so laborious? I can't delete multiple sms messages at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dinneenp wrote: »
    For such agood phone why is deleting sms messages so laborious? I can't delete multiple sms messages at the same time.

Really? I can delete multiple threads or multiple messages within a thread easily enough on the One X (with upgrade HTC Sense 5.0 as of Tuesday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I don't know what you are doing but I can do it on mine. I can delete multiple threads or multiple messages within a thread by selection :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Ordered my One yesterday, SMS from courier says it'll arrive in a few hours! Can't wait.

I read on the online user manual that it needs a full charge before turning it on. Any tips on how to contain myself til it's charged? :)

Guys theres a lot of misinformation on here regarding unlocking bootloader, s-off, flashing ROMs/radios/firmware.

Go to xda developers for info on this stuff, plenty of people there who can help.

Ordered my One yesterday, SMS from courier says it'll arrive in a few hours! Can't wait.

I read on the online user manual that it needs a full charge before turning it on. Any tips on how to contain myself til it's charged? :)

That's a load of bollocks, you dont need to condition li-po. Just use the phone and charge before its flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

When you are on the message screen just click on the options/settings button in the top right hand corner of the screen (the one that looks like 3 dots stacked ontop of each other and appears on most screens) and "delete threads" is the very 1st option. After selection this option you can now tick which threads you want to delete and bingo u can work it out from there.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's a load of bollocks, you dont need to condition li-po. Just use the phone and charge before its flat.

Yeah, I kinda agree with you, but I was just going by the htc quick start guide.

Link

Yeah, I kinda agree with you, but I was just going by the quick start guide on the htc website.

If the redundant crap that htc leave in their roms from previous bases is anything to go by, it's just HTC being lazy and not updating their guides.

cargo wrote: »
    When you are on the message screen just click on the options/settings button in the top right hand corner of the screen (the one that looks like 3 dots stacked ontop of each other and appears on most screens) and "delete threads" is the very 1st option. After selection this option you can now tick which threads you want to delete and bingo u can work it out from there.

And press the settings button within a thread to selectively delete messages from the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Anyone else getting a no sim message every so often? Restarting the phone, or putting it in and out of flight mode usually sorts out the problem. Happening a couple of times a day for me and it's getting pretty annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Should I always charge it before it goes flat, or is that just for the first charge? What's the "best" way to keep battery life (condition) at a maximum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Issac wrote: »
    Should I always charge it before it goes flat, or is that just for the first charge? What's the "best" way to keep battery life (condition) at a maximum?

Personal experience in a phone store, as well as owning a HTC One I'd say this.

Charge the phone when it drops to about 20% or so, and avoid charging it overnight. The phone only take a few hours to charge to full, and overcharging it will just cause the battery to drain faster.

I charge mine every second night, usually for about 4 hours or so, then unplug it before I sleep with the Wi-Fi and Data turned off. In the morning it may have used 3% of the battery overnight.
    If you're a really heavy user, do the same, but everynight instead.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »

Charge the phone when it drops to about 20% or so, and avoid charging it overnight. The phone only take a few hours to charge to full, and overcharging it will just cause the battery to drain faster.

I charge mine every second night, usually for about 4 hours or so, then unplug it before I sleep with the Wi-Fi and Data turned off. In the morning it may have used 3% of the battery overnight.

Thanks for the advice. I had (nearly) always just let it go flat or if I thought it would go flat during the night, charge it overnight. Seems like I was getting it all wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

Anyone else getting a no sim message every so often? Restarting the phone, or putting it in and out of flight mode usually sorts out the problem. Happening a couple of times a day for me and it's getting pretty annoying.

Is this a HTC One or a HTC One X+

To be honest I believe that to be a load of bollocks, no offence!

I leave mine on charge every night and have done so with every smartphone I've had. I can't see any reason not to. I get the full day with plenty of use and it's at about 30-40% at night when I go to plug it in.

There are a lot of myths around charging phones and other electrical devices.

One as mentioned is charge the phone fully when you get it before using it as it prolongs battery life.

petes wrote: »

One as mentioned is charge the phone fully when you get it before using it as it prolongs battery life.

As I said, I was going off the HTC user guide. I'm keen to get going on the phone as soon as it arrives, but I don't want to jeopardise the battery on day one so that I'm regretting my impatience for the next year or so. With respect, I was just quoting manufacturer instructions.

Of course, the instructions don't explicitly state that the initial first charge is for conditioning purposes. It could be just advice because it comes out of the box with little or no charge.

Of course, the instructions don't explicitly state that the initial first charge is for conditioning purposes. It could be just advice because it comes out of the box with little or no charge.

I think that is more the case than conditioning. I had a HTC One X and I did the same as I do with my One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

petes wrote: »
    To be honest I believe that to be a load of bollocks, no offence!

I leave mine on charge every night and have done so with every smartphone I've had. I can't see any reason not to. I get the full day with plenty of use and it's at about 30-40% at night when I go to plug it in.

Like I said, personal experience.
    I've often charged it overnight, and then had to charge it again the next night.
    Doing the other method I use works out well for me, I use my phone a lot but get two days out of it before it drops to 20 or less.

Like I said, personal experience.
    I've often charged it overnight, and then had to charge it again the next night.
    Doing the other method I use works out well for me, I use my phone a lot but get two days out of it before it drops to 20 or less.

Yeah, it is personal experience. Saying that I'm never really too far from somewhere to charge it.

There's surely a standard "best practice" for these types of batteries?

I just searched on Android Central forums and one poster had this to say:

"Without going back to pull the links I researched, my understanding is that today's lithium-ion batteries are NOT effected by the memory issues that plagued ni-cad. This means that a charge cycle equals one complete charge and discharge, regardless of where in the cycle you begin recharging.

So whether you are at 70% or 30% when you start recharging, you still end up with the same number of total charges in the life of the battery.

The other two pieces of information I recall were:

*that it is a good idea to "condition" the battery when it's brand new by fully discharging it and fully charging it the first few times.
    *As well as not letting the battery get very low (fully discharged) after the conditioning process."

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/284374-htc-one-battery-charge-cycles.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

You don't need a procedure these days, a cycle is a cycle, whether it's a full charge or five 20% charges. The only thing to avoid is compete depletion. Anything else you read is balls.

My one arrived today! So get ready for a whole lot of newbie questions.

I'm going to try and stick to stock apps as much as possible, to get a good idea what sense is like. I've already installed SwiftKey though, couldn't manage the stock keyboard.

Is there any way to set the bookmarks screen as the start page in the browser?

My one arrived today! So get ready for a whole lot of newbie questions.

I'm going to try and stick to stock apps as much as possible, to get a good idea what sense is like. I've already installed SwiftKey though, couldn't manage the stock keyboard.

Is there any way to set the bookmarks screen as the start page in the browser?

Maybe just use bookmarks widget if you want to access them easily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Mr.S wrote: »
    The top and side of my phone is seriously discolored and has turned yellow :confused: its only about 3 months old and is always kept in a clean pocket by itself, I never touch the top of the phone (where the headphone jack etc is) and the whole top bit has turned a yellowish colour!?

Mine is slightly just a very sulttle pink line colouring on the top as you said near the headphone jack don't know how it got there considering it kept clean!

Anyone else having colouring or fading issues too?

Just realised, I can't play music from my google account through the stock Music app on the One. I have the Play Music app, so I can make do with that. The only thing is, there was an equaliser on the Play Music app on the S3, but I can't find it on the One version.

Is the stock player worth using? I could download music to the phone through a cable and use the stock player, but is it really worth it? I can't see an equaliser on the stock app either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

With all the talk re the battery,what's the story with getting the battery replaced if and when the need arises?Contact HTC??Looks to be ridiculously messy replacing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

seligehgit wrote: »
    With all the talk re the battery,what's the story with getting the battery replaced if and when the need arises?Contact HTC??Looks to be ridiculously messy replacing it.

This is my 4th HTC phone and I have never had to get a replacement battery.
    I suppose if you do need to get it replaced it is a messy job, screen had to come off....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hey Guys,

Running an rooted version of the HTC One (Vodafone Ireland) with the stock ASOP version of android on it.

Planning on selling the device so want to revert it completely to stock. Can you give me advise on how to do it - seems to be various ways of doing it but don't want to brick it.

Main stumbling block has been tracking down an RUU file is compatible with Vodafone Ireland devices and version 1.29.161.16
    C:\Android>fastboot.exe g
    version-main: 1.29.161.16

Hey Guys,

Running an rooted version of the HTC One (Vodafone Ireland) with the stock ASOP version of android on it.

Planning on selling the device so want to revert it completely to stock. Can you give me advise on how to do it - seems to be various ways of doing it but don't want to brick it.

Main stumbling block has been tracking down an RUU file is compatible with Vodafone Ireland devices and version 1.29.161.16
    C:\Android>fastboot.exe g
    version-main: 1.29.161.16

Every android device I have sold I have just advertised as rooted with stock ROM. Then I flash ARHD (the only time I would bother with that ROM) then sell it. Have always got a good price and never had a complaint.

Every android device I have sold I have just advertised as rooted with stock ROM. Then I flash ARHD (the only time I would bother with that ROM) then sell it. Have always got a good price and never had a complaint.

Ah was just going to revert it back to stock to make things easier.

Anyway, the guys buying it wasn't bothered by it being unlocked/flashed and was happy to buy on inspection - so no matter no anyway.

Just make sure you reinstall and/or relock the stock bootloader, otherwise they'll be on asking why they can't take an OTA.

Just happened to me, lost the sale of a One X because the front-facing camera wasn't working when I installed the latest RUU, and they were spooked. Just needed a reset.

It's sold already.

How do you do what you suggest - in case they do ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

lads how do i check for a update manually ive no option to do so in the about menu on the phone?

moggser wrote: »
    lads how do i check for a update manually ive no option to do so in the about menu on the phone?

In the about menu - tap software updates and it should scan for any updates.

Edit, sorry I misread your post. I have "software updates" as the first option in settings>about>software updates
    don't know how to do it other than that way I'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anybody know if vodafone have fully launched 4.2.2 ? My htc one is still on 4.1.2 and says its up to date when I check for software updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Anybody know if vodafone have fully launched 4.2.2 ? My htc one is still on 4.1.2 and says its up to date when I check for software updates.

Yeah .. Ive a one x plus on Vodafone and it updated last week. Must be phasing the updates out to people. Bear with them id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'm on 4.2.2 on Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Is it possible to get a HTC one repaired by someone other than the manufacturer, in the Munster region preferably? Soft buttons on it stopped working, stupidly opened it up myself and now being quoted an arm and a leg to get it repaired..may also need to know what happens if you have a monthly contract and don't want to pay for the repair, but thats probably for a different forum/thread..

The guys in Repair-IT in Douglas fixed a one X for me, but it took about 5 trips as they left various radios disconnected. I think this is as much a product of modern phone design as anything else though, they're increasingly hard to work on. That's why the One is the first phone I've insured. I'd recommend them in spite of the mistakes, just make sure you test everything before you leave.

http://www.repairit.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

rovoagho wrote: »
    The guys in Repair-IT in Douglas fixed a one X for me, but it took about 5 trips as they left various radios disconnected. I think this is as much a product of modern phone design as anything else though, they're increasingly hard to work on. That's why the One is the first phone I've insured. I'd recommend them in spite of the mistakes, just make sure you test everything before you leave.

http://www.repairit.ie/

Thx for that, will try them. Have discovered (too late) that the One X is not exactly "repair friendly" alright. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Is it possible to get a HTC one repaired by someone other than the manufacturer, in the Munster region preferably? Soft buttons on it stopped working, stupidly opened it up myself and now being quoted an arm and a leg to get it repaired..may also need to know what happens if you have a monthly contract and don't want to pay for the repair, but thats probably for a different forum/thread..

I used this crowd in galway to fix my HP Touchpad:

http://electronicpartner.ie/

€55 including collection and delivery by courier... i think they have a no fix no fee thing aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

Yes, getting this issue for the last few days. Mobile data connection keeps dropping out too in an area at work where there has never been an issue before . I'm with Meteor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

I have a HTC Desire s with similar problem - found using a defrag app sorted it out.

I have my one about a week and a half now , when charging (when phone is off) to full battery , on unplugging the phone it won't turn on and I've to plug the phone back into the charger in order to turn it back on even though the phone is fully charged...
    Even without charging if its switched off anyway I cannot turn it on unless I plug it into the charger :(
    Anyone have similar issues? It cannot be switched on any other way , I've to plug it back into the charger in order to turn the phone on :( even though as I said its fully charged ....
    Help is really appreciated guys! Where do I go from here?
    I have the same problem before and after I updated to android 4.2.2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    I have my one about a week and a half now , when charging (when phone is off) to full battery , on unplugging the phone it won't turn on and I've to plug the phone back into the charger in order to turn it back on even though the phone is fully charged...
    Even without charging if its switched off anyway I cannot turn it on unless I plug it into the charger :(
    Anyone have similar issues? It cannot be switched on any other way , I've to plug it back into the charger in order to turn the phone on :( even though as I said its fully charged ....
    Help is really appreciated guys! Where do I go from here?
    I have the same problem before and after I updated to android 4.2.2...

Don't switch the phone off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I have heard that you should never let the battery fully discharge. So you should plug it into a charger whenever you get a chance and not go for the whole fully discharge, fully charge cycle.

I have to agree with Sofiztikated, why are you turning your phone off to charge? my phone has been on since I got it with some reboots in between.

nedd wrote: »
    I have heard that you should never let the battery fully discharge. So you should plug it into a charger whenever you get a chance and not go for the whole fully discharge, fully charge cycle.

I have to agree with Sofiztikated, why are you turning your phone off to charge? my phone has been on since I got it with some reboots in between.

I've always put it on charge when turned off at night but also when charging while turned on during the day it will knock off itself too

• Advertisement
Advertisement