Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bought my HTC One last Saturday. No problems until last night, I was about to go to sleep and went to see what time it was and the phone was completely dead. Had been charging it for over an hour before and it was about 95% charges, so it wasn't the battery. I even plugged in in to the charger and nothing. I used my ipad to go on the internet and saw someone suggest holding the top button but about 15 seconds, and luckily that worked and brought it back to life.

Is this a common issue? If holding the top button for 15 seconds is all it takes to fix when it happens, fair enough, but only for I checked it before going to sleep I wouldn't have known and would have slept in this morning, without my alarm or anyone able to call me.

What's the issue, does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Basil3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. The current 4.3 update brings nothing much new. Now that it is official that a Sense 5.5 update is coming, we can look forward to that.

I know its not much of an update but I still want it, plus the last I heard was Sense 5.5 was coming to Europe with the 4.3 update.

Penn wrote: »
    Bought my HTC One last Saturday. No problems until last night, I was about to go to sleep and went to see what time it was and the phone was completely dead. Had been charging it for over an hour before and it was about 95% charges, so it wasn't the battery. I even plugged in in to the charger and nothing. I used my ipad to go on the internet and saw someone suggest holding the top button but about 15 seconds, and luckily that worked and brought it back to life.

Is this a common issue? If holding the top button for 15 seconds is all it takes to fix when it happens, fair enough, but only for I checked it before going to sleep I wouldn't have known and would have slept in this morning, without my alarm or anyone able to call me.

What's the issue, does anyone know?

Holding power button is a reset, pretty much all Android phones have this feature including Samsungs (although some do a battery pull instead).

You shouldn't need to do this on a regular basis, if you do then there is something wrong with your device and it should be replaced.

I know its not much of an update but I still want it, plus the last I heard was Sense 5.5 was coming to Europe with the 4.3 update.

Yeah, so I would wait until the Sense 5.5 update comes out elsewhere, then we will have some idea when it will arrive over here.

For the record, I'm running 4.3 and wouldn't know any difference to 4.2.2. In fact, I would probably guess that my battery life is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Yeah, so I would wait until the Sense 5.5 update comes out elsewhere, then we will have some idea when it will arrive over here.

For the record, I'm running 4.3 and wouldn't know any difference to 4.2.2. In fact, I would probably guess that my battery life is worse.

I'm not all that patient :o r/Android has plenty of links and discussion about Sense 5.5 leaks including the change list so its not too far away hopefully.

• Advertisement

I'm not all that patient :o r/Android has plenty of links and discussion about Sense 5.5 leaks including the change list so its not too far away hopefully.

I sometimes get inside word from the devs on xda, so if I hear anything early I'll post it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got the htc one yesterday and very happy with it only thing I cant seem to do is set google as my homepage in the browser,in the settings also there is no homepage option as there was on the s.

ofcork wrote: »
    Got the htc one yesterday and very happy with it only thing I cant seem to do is set google as my homepage in the browser,in the settings also there is no homepage option as there was on the s.

Menu > settings > general > set home page?

What about no homepage option in the settings it looks like I have to keep going back using the arrows.

ofcork wrote: »
    What about no homepage option in the settings it looks like I have to keep going back using the arrows.

if you like using google so much, why not use the search widget or google now?

• Advertisement

Will have a look at them only getting used to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

if you like using google so much, why not use the search widget or google now?

Adore Chrome,have a widget for it on my home page,bit annoying that one can't set google as the home page.Have stuck a google search widget on the home page in addition to the very nice listening Moto X Google search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I used to have a Google widget, but it's much handier just to swipe up from the home button and straight into Google Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I know someone having an issue with their HTC One from O2.
    They can make a call, but after 10 minutes, it cuts off. They said they had a 40 minute conversation and had to redial 3 times..

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I know someone having an issue with their HTC One from O2.
    They can make a call, but after 10 minutes, it cuts off. They said they had a 40 minute conversation and had to redial 3 times..

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

I am actually getting this lately with mine, on Three. I was blaming my wife's iphone!

Just in case anyone has missed the boat, android 4.3 sense 5.5 ROMs are now available on XDA :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Just in case anyone has missed the boat, android 4.3 sense 5.5 ROMs are now available on XDA :)

Just installed one there. I did a full wipe going to it so I am restoring apps and the likes, I haven't had a chance to look around yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

I am actually getting this lately with mine, on Three. I was blaming my wife's iphone!

Just got a HTC One on 3 over the weekend and had an 18 min convo on it last night. No problems. (Earpiece volume is fantastic, compared to the HTC One X)

Android 4.2.2, Sense 5.0

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hope its ok to post photos taken on my HTC One in here.
    Have mine3 weeks now and i love it,took these photos today while out on the bike.
    Must say it takes a nice photo.

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Bullseye

Pique wrote: »
    Just got a HTC One on 3 over the weekend and had an 18 min convo on it last night. No problems. (Earpiece volume is fantastic, compared to the HTC One X)

Android 4.2.2, Sense 5.0

What's the data speed like with three?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Bullseye wrote: »
    What's the data speed like with three?

All depends where you are.

I get 2-3Meg down, 1-2meg up at the moment in Letterkenny.
    All you can eat data is worth it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

Hey folks, got a HTC One secondhand yesterday, and it keeps crashing! Random apps crash on it, and every so often the phone reboots itself. Tried a factory restore to no avail, have I bought a dud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

baldshin wrote: »
    Hey folks, got a HTC One secondhand yesterday, and it keeps crashing! Random apps crash on it, and every so often the phone reboots itself. Tried a factory restore to no avail, have I bought a dud?

Think so mines never crashed...ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

Might be just a bad custom ROM, what ROM is it running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

best bet is to send to a repair centre and have it re imaged. Unless you're comfortable doing that yourself. Did you test it for a virus?

It's running the stock configuration from what I can tell. I called the htc support today and they said they will collect it and check it out, but I'm worried they won't fix it as there's a few scratches and chips on it. Reading on,one has led me to believe if there's even a hint of a scratch even they won't cover it. This was supposed to be my leap from iOS to android, I may have to move back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

It's running the stock configuration from what I can tell. I called the htc support today and they said they will collect it and check it out, but I'm worried they won't fix it as there's a few scratches and chips on it. Reading on,one has led me to believe if there's even a hint of a scratch even they won't cover it. This was supposed to be my leap from iOS to android, I may have to move back!

It should be grand with minor scratches, it would be more a case of a cracked screen that they would say needs to be replaced before they'll work on it. They'll probably just flash the latest software they have and ship it back to you.

Oh god!
    i've had a nightmare with HTC support, they're shocking. Took them 7 weeks to get the my phone picked up , they kept setting up new tt's to deal with it. I messaged them on face book, sent a mail via their web site, actually wrote a letter to their office in London. Eventually I had to post the phone back to them.

Anyway, i really like my HTC One S. Moral of the story is , stay on top of them, make sure that the tech guys can see the courier is booked to collect your phone.

Hopefully they sort it, was very surprised with their returns procedures, seems pretty poor. I worked with Apple processing warranty repairs and it was made very simple for the customer, HTC seem to make you jump through hoops, and if they determine that it's not a warranty related issue, charge you to give you the phone back unrepaired!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

For the people with a nerdy inclination, soff for hboot 1.54 is available.
    I just did it and it worked, I then flashed the latest firmware and all good.
    It worked best for me after I flashed a 4.2.2 rom, I had been in 4.3 with Sense 5.5

I really like my one s, because of the support though I can't possibly buy another one. In 6 months when my contract runs out ill be off to Samsung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    I really like my one s, because of the support though I can't possibly buy another one. In 6 months when my contract runs out ill be off to Samsung

Why would you move if it's working properly now?? Do people enjoy throwing money away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

Hopefully they sort it, was very surprised with their returns procedures, seems pretty poor. I worked with Apple processing warranty repairs and it was made very simple for the customer, HTC seem to make you jump through hoops, and if they determine that it's not a warranty related issue, charge you to give you the phone back unrepaired!

I have sent a HTC One S back to HTC after Meteor were hopeless and have to say they were super, I really couldn't fault them and basically got a new phone back plus emails to tell me what stage it was in repair and a week after I got it back I got a courtesy call to see if I was happy with the service. There was no jumping through hoops.
    AFAIK any company will not fix an item if is out of warranty and not charge you...hence it's under warranty! From what I know if the phone has been "modified" in regards as been flashed or the phone has been tampered with they will return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

Well Samsung have really started to Apple-ise their products. The Note now has a rom that changes state if the device is flashed but does not revert if you re-apply Samsung stock firmware.

They are the first to do this in android in order to determine if you modded the phone and are suspected of doing it in order to potentially refuse warranty claims (even on hardware faults like headphone jacks).

HTC does not have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Snapchat users, how do I take a screenshot?

The normal Lock + home button worked before but doesn't now since an update or two ago, nor does the Lock + volume down...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Payton wrote: »
    I have sent a HTC One S back to HTC after Meteor were hopeless and have to say they were super, I really couldn't fault them and basically got a new phone back plus emails to tell me what stage it was in repair and a week after I got it back I got a courtesy call to see if I was happy with the service. There was no jumping through hoops.
    AFAIK any company will not fix an item if is out of warranty and not charge you...hence it's under warranty! From what I know if the phone has been "modified" in regards as been flashed or the phone has been tampered with they will return it.

I have to agree 100% here, my wife had an issue with her HTC One V and they were absolutely flawless,fantastic support.

Oh god!
    i've had a nightmare with HTC support, they're shocking. Took them 7 weeks to get the my phone picked up , they kept setting up new tt's to deal with it. I messaged them on face book, sent a mail via their web site, actually wrote a letter to their office in London. Eventually I had to post the phone back to them.

Anyway, i really like my HTC One S. Moral of the story is , stay on top of them, make sure that the tech guys can see the courier is booked to collect your phone.

You were just unlucky, I found them to be fantastic, couldnt fault them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Well Samsung have really started to Apple-ise their products. The Note now has a rom that changes state if the device is flashed but does not revert if you re-apply Samsung stock firmware.

They are the first to do this in android in order to determine if you modded the phone and are suspected of doing it in order to potentially refuse warranty claims (even on hardware faults like headphone jacks).

HTC does not have this.

Yes, they do. They have a tampered tag on the bootloader screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

HTC does not have this.

Eh? The HTC One does, so do a few others. My Nexus 7 shows it too.

What are you talking about?

Sonics2k wrote: »

OK my bad, just saw an article on some site taking about (I think) Knox security and how Samsung were the only ones to make this notification irreversible.

If I'm wrong, sorry. Mea culpa.

Sonics2k wrote: »

OK my bad, just saw an article on some site taking about (I think) Knox security and how Samsung were the only ones to make this notification irreversible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Woke up this morning having left my HTC One on charge and went to unlock it this morning but nothing is happening. screen is remaining off and the notification light is staying green. anyone have this problem before? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ok a soft reset finally worked, seems to be ok now!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Just got my hands on my 3rd HTC One. Can anyone tell me if its possible to get one of these pieces of crap where the front face is actually properly aligned and doesn't have overhangs with the polycarbonate centre. I know I sound childish but from using the other 2 and how I hold a phone it causes serious irritation throughout a days use & the rubbing of skin on sharp metal corners becomes very uncomfortable. Its seriously pissing me off at this stage I can't find one thats made properly. HTC tout the build quality of the One but frankly they haven't got a patch on Apple.

At least this one, for the 1st time, doesn't have a ridge between the glass and the speakers like a porch step. Congratulations HTC.

Has anyone sent theres back for the misaligned front face and had it actually repaired properly. I love the One hence I keep coming back but its getting stupid at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just got my hands on my 3rd HTC One. Can anyone tell me if its possible to get one of these pieces of crap where the front face is actually properly aligned and doesn't have overhangs with the polycarbonate centre. I know I sound childish but from using the other 2 and how I hold a phone it causes serious irritation throughout a days use & the rubbing of skin on sharp metal corners becomes very uncomfortable. Its seriously pissing me off at this stage I can't find one thats made properly. HTC tout the build quality of the One but frankly they haven't got a patch on Apple.

At least this one, for the 1st time, doesn't have a ridge between the glass and the speakers like a porch step. Congratulations HTC.

Has anyone sent theres back for the misaligned front face and had it actually repaired properly. I love the One hence I keep coming back but its getting stupid at this stage.

Huh ?

Has it been repaired ? Sounds like it was repaired badly then. I have no issues with the build quality of mine what so ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Eh?

I've one myself, and sold literally dozens and I've never heard of anything like this. Was the phone damaged/broken or repaired at any point?

The HTC One is of an immaculate build and quality, was surpassing the current iPhone 5C and even the 5 to many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

I love the One

... really?

How can you if it's been such a bad experience for you?

listermint wrote: »
    Huh ?

Has it been repaired ? Sounds like it was repaired badly then. I have no issues with the build quality of mine what so ever.

I just bought it from a guy with full receipt. Its legit (matching IMEI etc) and only 3 weeks old so it wouldn't have had a chance to be in and out from repair. He was a reputable seller but I asked him in detail and repeatedly if it had overhangs & he said no. And it bloody does. Too tired of this build quality game to return it to him and go on another wild One hunt up and down Ireland.

I'm going to put a black brushed metal Greatshield Terra case on it (link below and on sale, metal so it maintains the awesome looks of the One) which looking at the bottom might shield my pinkie from the bare metal but frankly its the BMW of smartphones and this is now 3 in a row where its just not up to scratch.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GreatShield-TERRA-Series-Brushed-Metal/dp/B00CLV87B0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382361452&sr=8-2&keywords=greatshield+terra+htc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMuJrsmAloo

Re the build quality V the iphone I've not tested the 5s yet but honestly anyone who buys a 5c deserves what they get. This captures what I think of it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGoq36UX6IY

pah wrote: »
    ... really?

How can you if it's been such a bad experience for you?

For me its the perfect match of tech and design, a better iphone than the iphone. If only I could get one that was aligned although as I said above this one has the screen alignment right for a change so I'm getting there. Maybe by number 12.

OK, I found what I think was the article was I saw the other day (or one about the same thing anyway).

It's something called the 'eFuse'.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/10/09/galaxy-note-3-root
    http://pocketnow.com/thought/efuse-droids-digital-kill-switch

And Motorola look like they're doing it too.

http://gizmodo.com/5589713/so-motorola-wont-break-the-droid-x-theyll-just-make-it-unusable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Please remove if forbidden but anybody interested in buying the Double Dip Case for €15
    http://www.adverts.ie/accessories/htc-one-double-dip-case/4010255

• Advertisement
Advertisement