Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

stevekavo wrote: »
    Mine got sent off 2 weeks ago on the Wednesday and I got it back the following Friday.Mine went to a 3rd party via HTC. They have a track my device but it isn't kept up-to-date.

Ok thanks for the reply! I sent mine on Monday so hopefully I'll have it before the end of next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

One thing I have noticed with the upgrade is the apparent extra usable memory. In the app "Advanced task killer" before the update after killing all tasks I'd have 850-950MB of usable memory. Now, after the upgrading, after killing all task I'll have over 1000. Sometimes hitting 1150. I'm not sure how accurate these readings are but ever since the upgrade they have increased which can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

FatRat wrote: »
    One thing I have noticed with the upgrade is the apparent extra usable memory. In the app "Advanced task killer" before the update after killing all tasks I'd have 850-950MB of usable memory. Now, after the upgrading, after killing all task I'll have over 1000. Sometimes hitting 1150. I'm not sure how accurate these readings are but ever since the upgrade they have increased which can only be a good thing.

Its generally not recommended to not use those "Task Killers" anymore, do more harm than good.

http://www.howtogeek.com/127388/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

As above, absolutely do not use task killers. Theyve been useless since 4.0 onwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

listermint wrote: »
    however your base line would increase with it off.

The difference is imperceptible. I say this from practical experience and testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

As above, absolutely do not use task killers. Theyve been useless since 4.0 onwards.

Since 2.1 really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Carphone Warehouse have the camera on this phone as being 14Mp.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/category/BILL-PAY-PHONES/331.0

Vodafone have the camera as 2Mp, as does the HTC website.

https://www.vodafone.ie/myv/mymobile/upgrade/phones#device/698050

A few review site give it as 4Mp.

Go figure as they say.

Really tempted by it though. Sick of the size of the iPhone screen, while other phones such as the Xperia are getting into mini-pad territory - i.e. too big in the hand.

The HTC is a thing of beauty. But, is the next iteration due out soon?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »

Go figure as they say.

Really tempted by it though. Sick of the size of the iPhone screen, while other phones such as the Xperia are getting into mini-pad territory - i.e. too big in the hand.

Thanks.

D.

The Mega pixel count is confusing because HTC marketed the phone as using ultrapixels. If I remember correctly its 4 megapixels but uses a sensor which makes the camera amazing in low light conditions. I use it and find the camera much better than my old S3 but I have heard others say its rubbish.

The next one will probably be out around late March or April. Certainly wouldn't rush into a 24 month contract for the current One. Its an amazing phone but if you can hold out you might as well get the newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Go figure as they say.

Thanks.

D.

I've only seen the 4 ultrapixel description; either way - the camera is class. Absolutely unreal in low light.

Cheers guys (gals? :))

I think I will hold out.

Low light performance is irrelevant to me really. I'm a photographer by trade.

Getting away from the tiny (relatively speaking) screen size of my iPhone 4s is my main concern. The iPhone 5s is no improvement, IMHO.

Needless to say, having invested in a shed load of apps, if Apple improved the screen size, I'd stick with them. But, that's getting close to mini-pad territory then, isn't it. So, they're unlikely to.

D.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys (gals? :))

I think I will hold out.

Low light performance is irrelevant to me really. I'm a photographer by trade.

Getting away from the tiny (relatively speaking) screen size of my iPhone 4s is my main concern. The iPhone 5s is no improvement, IMHO.

Needless to say, having invested in a shed load of apps, if Apple improved the screen size, I'd stick with them. But, that's getting close to mini-pad territory then, isn't it. So, they're unlikely to.

D.

If you're a photographer then I suppose no phone camera is likely to impress you :)

There's a possibility Apple might introduce a bigger screen but probably not more than 5in. I'd wait until Samsung and HTC announce their next phones before deciding anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I never need to fiddle with my camera, works almost as well as my Panny in IA mode.

Is there a time of year when manufacturers typically launch new models?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Thanks.

D.

Not particularly as far as I know, but there are certain events / periods / financial quarters where things are announced and signify the arrival of the next/new generation. I think, at this stage, it's worthwhile waiting for CES and MWC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Lads, today I got 4 hours out of my HTC One's battery.
    It was fine yesterday. I even turned off Blinkfeed this morning coz I noticed there was something up after its went down to 75% pretty fast.

Its a bit sluggish to unlock so I'm thinking theres something running in the background thats using up all the CPU.
    I've rebooted it a cupla times as well.

Is there any better way of finding out whats using the battery? At the moment, it just says the Android System is using 37%, Dialer is using 23%, Google Services 6% and HTC Sense using 3%. Then is has Wifi 14% idle 10% and voice cals 3%.

That doesnt really tell me anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I see there is a dual sim version coming soon.

http://www.htc.com/in/smartphones/htc-one-dual-sim/

Could this be the next version? I meant the design of the HTC one is pretty bang on and it would be a shame to redesign it just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Could this be the next version?

Nope its just another variant of the One like the Mini & Max, will be interesting to see if the western world is interested in a dual sim flagship.

http://www.htc.com/in/smartphones/htc-one-max/

How new is the Max?

Don't think I saw it in Carphone Warehouse.

D.

Thanks.

D.

If you're talking about HTC, their flagships normally arrive around April/May. Samsung has followed another month or two later. This has been the pattern the last few years anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

I am in the process of selling my one x & am looking for advice.

Do i need to do a factory reset of the phone before i sell it or can i just remove my google account from the phone?

If i need to do a factory reset does it bring the phone back to the android version the phone was on when it was manufactured?

my photos are backed up to dropbox so i wont lose them (is this correct?)

any thing else i should do before i move it on?

any help greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Do a complete factory reset. The bios has been flashed, so the android updates will remain in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Do a complete factory reset. The bios has been flashed, so the android updates will remain in place.

Dont know what that means, but thats what i will do
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Anyone know how I can change my keyboard to the style below?

YeZIc.png

Doesn't seem to be available in input method.

djPSB wrote: »
    Anyone know how I can change my keyboard to the style below?

YeZIc.png

Doesn't seem to be available in input method.

If you're talking with the stock HTC keyboard, I believe this was removed with Sense 5.5

Basil3 wrote: »
    If you're talking with the stock HTC keyboard, I believe this was removed with Sense 5.5

Yeah it went when I upgraded yesterday.

I presume I can download one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Lads, today I got 4 hours out of my HTC One's battery.
    It was fine yesterday. I even turned off Blinkfeed this morning coz I noticed there was something up after its went down to 75% pretty fast.

Its a bit sluggish to unlock so I'm thinking theres something running in the background thats using up all the CPU.
    I've rebooted it a cupla times as well.

Is there any better way of finding out whats using the battery? At the moment, it just says the Android System is using 37%, Dialer is using 23%, Google Services 6% and HTC Sense using 3%. Then is has Wifi 14% idle 10% and voice cals 3%.

That doesnt really tell me anything.

Try the GSam Battery app, that might explain it in more detail. Also, check out Wake Lock Detector app.

Anyone know how to camera zoom in 5.5.

Seems to have disappeared.

djPSB wrote: »
    Anyone know how to camera zoom in 5.5.

Seems to have disappeared.

Pinch to zoom I believe, but if you're zooming with a 4MP camera, you're loco :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Hi trying to unlock my Vodafone htc one. Just received the unlock code from them today. Went and put in a Tesco mobile sim and all it asks for is a pin code for the card and not the network unlock code. Tried it with a 48 sim card also and getting the same result. Definitely not a case of the phone already being unlocked because I get no signal or service and I have had both sims in a separate phone here and it has signal so not a case of being out of signal. Any ideas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think you have to unlock it with the VF sim still in it. Then use the other sims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Hi trying to unlock my Vodafone htc one. Just received the unlock code from them today. Went and put in a Tesco mobile sim and all it asks for is a pin code for the card and not the network unlock code. Tried it with a 48 sim card also and getting the same result. Definitely not a case of the phone already being unlocked because I get no signal or service and I have had both sims in a separate phone here and it has signal so not a case of being out of signal. Any ideas ?

Have you tried using your unlock code instead of PIN? Or maybe disable PIN for the sim card before changing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think you have to unlock it with the VF sim still in it. Then use the other sims.

I think this is correct, I had to do the same with my old Galaxy Note 2. Nothing would pop up when I put a different SIM in, but when I put my VF one in I was able to enter unlock code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

I had a PIN code like this associated with my O2 SIM.
    It was written on the little card that the SIM came in.

Any idea how I do this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Can anyone help me here please?

I got an android update over the weekend with the 3 network (not KitKat just an update), and ever since Saturday morning I cant text they way I normally do. There is no way to turn off the QWERTY (or other versions of qwerty) in the settings to change back to the 9 keys and its driving me crazy!!!!

Anyone know how to get this setting back so I can txt? Stupid update.

Go back a page. They removed that option in the 5.5 update. You'll have to download a replacement keyboard. I'd advise just getting Swiftkey and getting used to the QWERTY layout, Swiftkey is fantastic and the T9 style keyboards are obsolete at this stage.

Go back a page. They removed that option in the 5.5 update. You'll have to download a replacement keyboard. I'd advise just getting Swiftkey and getting used to the QWERTY layout, Swiftkey is fantastic and the T9 style keyboards are obsolete at this stage.

QWERTY is rubbish and I know no one who uses it tbh. What replacement would you recommend I get to go back to the phone style instead of qwerty?

QWERTY is rubbish and I know no one who uses it tbh. What replacement would you recommend I get to go back to the phone style instead of qwerty?

Ha, thats kinda funny, I know nobody that uses the phone style and I'd consider it rubbish. Personal preference I suppose.

I'm afraid I don't know any, I don't use the old style keyboard. Give it a google, i'm sure there's a few decent ones out there.

Ha, thats kinda funny, I know nobody that uses the phone style and I'd consider it rubbish. Personal preference I suppose.

I'm afraid I don't know any, I don't use the old style keyboard. Give it a google, i'm sure there's a few decent ones out there.

Lol really?! Oh well, I'll google it and see if I can find a solution so. Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Lol really?! Oh well, I'll google it and see if I can find a solution so. Thanks anyway!

Yes OMG my sister in law was using t9 on her SE xperia Ray last year but since she got an s4 it's swype style all the way. t9 is just outrageously....NAFF :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Any idea how I do this ?

Don't remember but the last time I did it I think I asked VF how to do it.

Don't remember but the last time I did it I think I asked VF how to do it.

Thanks I dropped them a mail so hopefully get sorted soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Anyone you know with an iPhone uses QWERTY. The vast majority of Android users would use it too. The 3X4 layout is dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Anyone you know with an iPhone uses QWERTY. The vast majority of Android users would use it too. The 3X4 layout is dying.

I'm learning dvorak in SwiftKey :-)

pah wrote: »
    Yes OMG my sister in law was using t9 on her SE xperia Ray last year but since she got an s4 it's swype style all the way. t9 is just outrageously....NAFF :P
    Sonics2k wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was odd they preferred that layout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭SteM

Do yourself a favour and trial Swiftkey. Stick with it for a couple of days and you'll never go back. The Flow functionality is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hey all,
    Was thinking of buying the HTC One from Amazon for Christmas and moving to the Tesco Mobile €10 offer.

I've been looking at amazon and the price range of the HTC one goes from €470 for silver, to €521 for black and €774 for blue!
    I've noticed the cheaper silver version is also sold by "OnlineShop", which I'm guessing is an amaon user who has setup a store front account.
    This all sounds incredibly dodgy.
    Has anyone else had any experience ordering from Amazon. I would have preferred to order from amazon as I have a good amount amassed in vouchers to spend and I'd like to buy the phone network unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭SteM

Hey all,
    Was thinking of buying the HTC One from Amazon for Christmas and moving to the Tesco Mobile €10 offer.

I've been looking at amazon and the price range of the HTC one goes from €470 for silver, to €521 for black and €774 for blue!
    I've noticed the cheaper silver version is also sold by "OnlineShop", which I'm guessing is an amaon user who has setup a store front account.
    This all sounds incredibly dodgy.
    Has anyone else had any experience ordering from Amazon. I would have preferred to order from amazon as I have a good amount amassed in vouchers to spend and I'd like to buy the phone network unlocked.

Why does it sound dodgy? You'll see a rating for the seller with feedback supplied by former customers so you can use that as your guide.

I've bought from both Amazon and from their marketplace sellers and have never had any problems with returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Just got an OTA software update. Still Sense 5.5 and Android 4.3 though.

Anyone got any insight as to what it's about? The description on the download page was very vague.

• Advertisement

Just got an OTA software update. Still Sense 5.5 and Android 4.3 though.

Anyone got any insight as to what it's about? The description on the download page was very vague.

I haven't received anything. What network are you? Could just be a minor thing.

Advertisement