Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I haven't received anything. What network are you? Could just be a minor thing.

Three.

I'd say it's minor too, but it would be nice to know exactly what's going on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

SteM wrote: »
    Why does it sound dodgy? You'll see a rating for the seller with feedback supplied by former customers so you can use that as your guide.

The huge variation in price is what's concerning me, as well as from the same listing, if you select a different colour it will cost ~€300 extra for the same phone. The guide price on Vodafone / O2 sems to be about €580.

The market place listing is also of concern as if you're possibly buying off someome who has recieved the phone as a free upgrade, you're not covered by a warrenty, and you don't know if the phone is actually unbranded or flashed with a vendor based OS.

Any other options for buying an unlocked / unbranded phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The huge variation in price is what's concerning me, as well as from the same listing, if you select a different colour it will cost ~€300 extra for the same phone. The guide price on Vodafone / O2 sems to be about €580.

The market place listing is also of concern as if you're possibly buying off someome who has recieved the phone as a free upgrade, you're not covered by a warrenty, and you don't know if the phone is actually unbranded or flashed with a vendor based OS.

Any other options for buying an unlocked / unbranded phone?

If the phone is described as brand new by the seller, then it has to be brand new, still in box/etc. If anything to do with the phone doesn't match the description, then amazon will look after you in that respect. It's actually safer to shop on the amazon marketplace than something like ebay.

Source: used to work for amazon a few years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

The huge variation in price is what's concerning me, as well as from the same listing, if you select a different colour it will cost ~€300 extra for the same phone.

It's simple supply and demand. Silver is the most common colour, blue is a special edition with limited availability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

dulpit wrote: »
    If the phone is described as brand new by the seller, then it has to be brand new, still in box/etc. If anything to do with the phone doesn't match the description, then amazon will look after you in that respect. It's actually safer to shop on the amazon marketplace than something like ebay.

Source: used to work for amazon a few years ago.

Agree with all this. We sell on Amazon as both a merchant (like who you'd be buying from) and Fulfilled by Amazon. As long as they have decent seller rating and feedback you have nothing to worry about buying from them. Its not like Adverts.ie or eBay. The shops on Amazon are not going to be reselling unwanted upgrades without explicitly stating thats what they are and even then its highly unlikely. I would also agree its safer than eBay. If you've any problems Amazon will deal with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice, really apreciate it!

Looks like I'm going to be treating myself this Christmas. This will possibly mean tins of cold beans for dinner every day for the next fortnight too.

Looks like I'm going to be treating myself this Christmas. This will possibly mean tins of cold beans for dinner every day for the next fortnight too.

It'll all be worth it, its a fantastic phone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭SteM

Go for the blue one and live on cold beans for a month instead :)

SteM wrote: »
    Go for the blue one and live on cold beans for a month instead :)

Well seeing as I'm cooking Christmas dinner this year, that may save me a lot of trouble :pac:

I haven't received anything. What network are you? Could just be a minor thing.

Just charged up the battery for the first time since the update. Left it plugged in for about an hour after it showed up as full.

The second it was unplugged it dropped to 94%, and in the 10mins or so since then it has gone to 89%.

Not sure if it's down to the update or something else, but it has never done this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Does anyone know how to revert back to the old Zoe highlights videos? I hate the new ones from the latest update!

stop wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to revert back to the old Zoe highlights videos? I hate the new ones from the latest update!

I think there are some mods on xda. I don't know if it was always there, but loving being able to use custom music. Went to North Pole Experience with the kids, made a highlight vid with Xmas music.....lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭doney84

Was thinking of getting herself the HTC One mini for Christmas but will the recent ban in the UK have any effect on HTC supporting the device in Ireland???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Can anyone help me here please?

I got an android update over the weekend with the 3 network (not KitKat just an update), and ever since Saturday morning I cant text they way I normally do. There is no way to turn off the QWERTY (or other versions of qwerty) in the settings to change back to the 9 keys and its driving me crazy!!!!

Anyone know how to get this setting back so I can txt? Stupid update.

I had the same problem.

Had to switch to a swipe keyboard, actually very good once you get used to it.

Touchpal x is a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

doney84 wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting herself the HTC One mini for Christmas but will the recent ban in the UK have any effect on HTC supporting the device in Ireland???

I don't see why. A UK Judge can have no influence on us on this matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

google services framework is killing my battery, over a hour wakelocks, disabled let google apps use your location when you are not using them and lets see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭doney84

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I don't see why. A UK Judge can have no influence on us on this matter.
    Nice one ... I just thought maybe HTC wouldn't bother with "little old Ireland" when it comes to software updates seen as the much bigger UK market won't need them.

doney84 wrote: »
    Nice one ... I just thought maybe HTC wouldn't bother with "little old Ireland" when it comes to software updates seen as the much bigger UK market won't need them.

I can't see that ban on sales lasting for a long time, these court cases are constantly ongoing with sales bans not lasting very long. Hard to see HTC just forgetting about all the stock they have in the UK because of it, something will be worked out I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theres a ban on HTC ? did i miss something

listermint wrote: »

HTC One Mini not the One. Its a load of rubbish, same as the "bans" on Samsung, Nokia, Motorola and various other manufacturers which have happened over the last couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Lads, any recommendation on GPE roms? I'm probably just gonna punt for Android Revolution HD unless anybody has issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

listermint wrote: »

Nokia successfully got an injunction against the HTC One Mini for a patent, the Judge refused to ban the HTC One itself as a new one will be released soon enough and he doesn't see the point.

As a reference, the patent refers to a 1998 patent that -every- phone manufacturer uses and has broken at some point. Nokia went for HTC because they are the direct competition, just like Apple vs Samsung.

This patent stuff is becoming absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

theteal wrote: »
    Lads, any recommendation on GPE roms? I'm probably just gonna punt for Android Revolution HD unless anybody has issues

id recommend sinless rom. No issues so far and great support for the developer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

alanc2003 wrote: »
    id recommend sinless rom. No issues so far and great support for the developer

What did you come from? I tried flashing from 4.3 sense Android revolution to a 4.4 GE Android Revolution rom. Went pear shaped and took me a few days to get the phone back working.

Any tips?

pedatron wrote: »
    What did you come from? I tried flashing from 4.3 sense Android revolution to a 4.4 GE Android Revolution rom. Went pear shaped and took me a few days to get the phone back working.

Any tips?

I flashed Baad's 4.4 GPE rom, coming from Viper. Full wipe in aroma, had no problems whatsoever. Only lasted 15 mins before nandroiding back to Viper. Impossible to live without tweaks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

pedatron wrote: »

Any tips?

I was on viperone ROM but was getting a bit sick of sense. I then s offed using rumrunner, a fairly simple process. Converted the phone to the Google edition, that's a complete wipe of the phone so u wud need to back up everything on a laptop first. Bit of messing around wit adb but there is a good step by step guide on xda to convert. Was on the official gpe addition for a few days and then went wit sinless, just downloaded the ROM and flashed as normal. U should be able to skip the the conversion bit and download the sinless ROM but u do need to be s off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

theteal wrote: »

I'm using the GPE stock version (which means I get OTA updates and all that jazz). Battery life is great now, lovely and fast to use too...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Have to say I'm quite impressed with HTC. Old earphones that came with phone (HTC One), broke, when I say broke the phone wouldn't recognise they were plugged in. I knew it wasn't the phone as it was picking up other earphones alright. I rang HTC on Tuesday and they said they would replace for free as they were under warranty. No problems there . Unlike Apple I didn't even have to send the old ones back. Arrived today by courier, working perfectly. That's what you call a service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I've noticed the battery is pants since the last update, says it's at 10% then gone!

• Advertisement

petes wrote: »
    I've noticed the battery is pants since the last update, says it's at 10% then gone!

I'd say my battery life is broadly similar to before the update. However, I noticed from day one with the phone that the last 10% does drain quicker than the rest. Not instantly, but definitely quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

...I noticed from day one with the phone that the last 10% does drain quicker than the rest. Not instantly, but definitely quicker.

Yep, I find this too.

Same thing happens my diesel tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Yep, and definitely only since the last update. Overall, I'd say slightly worst (nothing too problematic), but once it goes into the red, its goodnight very soon after..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is anyone using the Qualcomm battery guru app on their HTC One?
    I'm getting 2 days battery, if i dont play games too much.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Is anyone using the Qualcomm battery guru app on their HTC One?
    I'm getting 2 days battery, if i dont play games too much.

2 days while playing any games at all is impressive. I downloaded it, but at first glance it seems to be doing the same job as the built in power saver mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Mine too. I'm now finding I have to plug into the car on the way home, to make sure it doesn't die before bedtime. I'm also noticing mine getting very hot also, especially on phonecalls.

Have others had this experience? Any recommendations? I've turned off Google's locations service.

• Advertisement

Can't say I've noticed any difference in battery performance since the update. The phone always got kinda warm when doing particularly strenuous work but thats the case with all aluminium phones.

It could be that there's a bug in there somewhere which is causing the problems but its odd that only some people are experiencing them :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

2 days while playing any games at all is impressive. I downloaded it, but at first glance it seems to be doing the same job as the built in power saver mode.

Ye its probably the same as leaving the power savings mode on all the time.
    Does the power saver feature underclock/undervolt the CPU when not needed? The battery guru also has a feature that cuts down on apps communicating unnecessarily, so it keeps your phone in low power mode more consistently.
    I dont know enough about the low power mode to compare properly.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Ye its probably the same as leaving the power savings mode on all the time.
    Does the power saver feature underclock/undervolt the CPU when not needed? The battery guru also has a feature that cuts down on apps communicating unnecessarily, so it keeps your phone in low power mode more consistently.
    I dont know enough about the low power mode to compare properly.

The built in power saver can be used to control the cpu, haptic feedback, display brightness and data connections.

The data connection setting just cuts those radios off when the screen is off, basically. There's also a setting to control "sleep mode", so you can set up a times window where data connectivity is always off.

In terms of apps, I just have each one set up to manually update, so I'm not sure how much snapdragon app will do extra for me.

Anyhow, I installed it, so it'll be interesting to see if the snapdragon app makes much difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Updated a bunch of apps on my HTC One today and after I charged the phone I noticed that the battery would go from 100% to 91% in 7 minutes without me doing anything with it. Screen was off also.

After using wakelock detector, I disabled the (updated) facebook application and now my phone is holding the charge perfectly. Maybe someone else who is having battery issues could try this to see if this will help battery longevity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I was having the same issue with my battery doing 15 percent in mins after the 4.3 update. I have updated to 4.4 from xda and don't have that issue anymore. I think it is something specific to the 4.3 build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

is anyone else having issues where the + button in messages and contacts refuses to create anything? also the three dot menu button is doing nothing. I can recreate the effect of the three dot through a long press on the right capacitive button but thats it!

anyone had anything similar?

El Inho wrote: »
    is anyone else having issues where the + button in messages and contacts refuses to create anything? also the three dot menu button is doing nothing. I can recreate the effect of the three dot through a long press on the right capacitive button but thats it!

anyone had anything similar?

It's a bug in 4.3

Settings > developer options > advanced

Make sure animations are turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

anyone have issues connecting to your pc after a recent update?

My htc one doesnt show up as a storage device anymore. Ive enabled USB Debugging in developer options as recommended on some forums, and rebooted both phone and pc many times. I have also installed the most recent drivers and copy of htc sync, but issue persists.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    anyone have issues connecting to your pc after a recent update?

My htc one doesnt show up as a storage device anymore. Ive enabled USB Debugging in developer options as recommended on some forums, and rebooted both phone and pc many times. I have also installed the most recent drivers and copy of htc sync, but issue persists.

Well I know this issue was common when people were upgrading from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2, but I can't imagine you are that far behind the game. This was the solution to that problem:

http://trickdroid.org/trickdroid-6-0-android-4-2-2-and-your-sd-card/

When going from 4.2.2 to 4.3 I had the issue of adb not working, this was solved by installing the latest HTC sync, only after I had manually removed all HTC elements from my pc beforehand. HTC driver updater in particular has to be removed from your pc before installing latest HTC sync.

Hope some of this may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Basil3 wrote: »
    Well I know this issue was common when people were upgrading from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2, but I can't imagine you are that far behind the game. This was the solution to that problem:

http://trickdroid.org/trickdroid-6-0-android-4-2-2-and-your-sd-card/

When going from 4.2.2 to 4.3 I had the issue of adb not working, this was solved by installing the latest HTC sync, only after I had manually removed all HTC elements from my pc beforehand. HTC driver updater in particular has to be removed from your pc before installing latest HTC sync.

Hope some of this may help.

Just recently moved to v4.3.
    Unfortunately installing the new drivers and HTC sync didn't work. Tried it on a pc I never connected the phone to before.

When i do connect, the phone (sometimes) opens the car interface!

Il call up HTC, see what they have to say.

Thanks!

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Just recently moved to v4.3.
    Unfortunately installing the new drivers and HTC sync didn't work. Tried it on a pc I never connected the phone to before.

When i do connect, the phone (sometimes) opens the car interface!

Il call up HTC, see what they have to say.

Thanks!

Maybe a stupid question, but you have tried different USB cables?

Actually fixed it by clearing the cache of the messages app!

Actually fixed it by clearing the cache of the messages app!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

HTC have really outdone themselves this time....

Just got my phone back from repair. Turns out it isn't the same phone. Instead it is a brand new phone. The phone I sent away had a faulty loudspeaker which is the reason I sent it for repair in the first place. I thought they'd fix the speaker and return it. In fact, I thought I might not have been covered by the warranty... Because along with the faulty speaker, the phone had a lot of cosmetic damage most notably that two of the corners had dents in them. Also, the volume control was on the verge of breaking off the phone. Not to mind the scratches on the screen..

So I'd like to thank HTC for handing me a new phone for no valid reason. The only thing I can think of is that the speaker was too difficult to repair and the only option they had was to give me a replacement. Or maybe they're just nice people..... 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i got a notification for a 80mb update what that about?

• Advertisement
Advertisement