Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

irishgeo wrote: »
    i got a notification for a 80mb update what that about?
    Perhaps read the description? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Looking at getting this phone or the Galaxy S4.

It seems to be a brilliant phone from what most people are saying.

What cover would people recommend to buy for this phone? And where to buy it from.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What cover would people recommend to buy for this phone? And where to buy it from.

None, it's not necessary and the phone is far too nice to cover it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Looking at getting this phone or the Galaxy S4.

Honestly dont get any other phone than the One,you would regret it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Any handy way to go back a software version? I've got 4.3 with sense 5.5 and the battery has been pretty poor compared to before the update.

I have wakelock detector and a good battery stats app, and it's clear enough to me that the system itself is causing drain rather than any particular app.

Used to get 36 hours easily from full battery. Just about doing 24 now, with the same usage pattern. I'm clued in to all the various location and syncing settings that cause drain, and they're always kept off until needed.

Any handy way to go back a software version? I've got 4.3 with sense 5.5 and the battery has been pretty poor compared to before the update.

I have wakelock detector and a good battery stats app, and it's clear enough to me that the system itself is causing drain rather than any particular app.

Used to get 36 hours easily from full battery. Just about doing 24 now, with the same usage pattern. I'm clued in to all the various location and syncing settings that cause drain, and they're always kept off until needed.

If this was true (a one-third reduction in battery life), then there would be plenty of material online about this. I'm sure you could find some people complaining about battery life, but just as many saying it has improved.

You just need to find what is causing the drain. I believe 4.3 uses location reporting differently, so you need to make sure that scanning always available is off in your wifi settings, for example.

tl;dr: 4.3 isn't your problem, and if you go back to 4.2.2, you will be two software versions behind very shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Basil3 wrote: »
    If this was true (a one-third reduction in battery life), then there would be plenty of material online about this. I'm sure you could find some people complaining about battery life, but just as many saying it has improved.

You just need to find what is causing the drain. I believe 4.3 uses location reporting differently, so you need to make sure that scanning always available is off in your wifi settings, for example.

tl;dr: 4.3 isn't your problem, and if you go back to 4.2.2, you will be two software versions behind very shortly.

Have to disagree with this - there's lots of people complaining online about battery drain since 4.3 - from personal experience it's at least a one-third reduction in battery life. I accept plenty of people have had no issue, but for me it happened immediately after the update, too close to be a coincidence having been delighted with battery life up until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

There's no way to go back, asked HTC support already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

pm1977x wrote: »

Can you not just flash a rom of the older one

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

I don't want to go down the route of flashing roms. I read somewhere that 4.4 will be out around the end of January, so I guess I'll just hold on and hopefully htc will have fixed the issue for that release.

Have to disagree with this - there's lots of people complaining online about battery drain since 4.3 - from personal experience it's at least a one-third reduction in battery life. I accept plenty of people have had no issue, but for me it happened immediately after the update, too close to be a coincidence having been delighted with battery life up until then.

All I'm saying that if it was a known issue, tech sites would be all over it. It's simply a case of figuring what it causing your drain. Did any of your apps update around the same time? Have you added new apps? Have you added new media to your device?

If you do a Google search for improved battery life on 4.3, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find lots of info also.

For the record, I also have average battery at the moment, but this is due to increased use of Google music and switching over to g+ photo uploads..... The auto awesome feature is actually good enough to replace Zoe highlights now!

If you think that going back to 4.2.2 would give an extra 50% on your current battery, I would recommend rooting and flashing a stock 4.2.2 ROM such as ARHD. It's a simple process, and won't void your warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I have the latest 4.3 update. There is absolutely no additional drain on my battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The case is that various apps can cause battery drain and its not necessarily the update itself. Some apps are calling on services that they shouldnt be calling on and developers never bother to update to suit a newer OS. This can be a sole reason why some users see battery issues and others (like myself) wouldnt see any changes.

listermint wrote: »
    The case is that various apps can cause battery drain and its not necessarily the update itself. Some apps are calling on services that they shouldnt be calling on and developers never bother to update to suit a newer OS. This can be a sole reason why some users see battery issues and others (like myself) wouldnt see any changes.

I use GSam Battery and by far and away the biggest drains according to that are Kernal and Android System.

So it doesn't look like an app as such, but maybe an app that was fine before the update is doing things to the system now that are causing a drain that didn't show up before.

Lots of reports online about this issue. Seems that a back up and factory reset is the best course of action, so I'll try that out and report back.....

• Advertisement

I'm looking into a solid fix for this. I know it is fixable without any radical factory reset or flashing of different ROMs. I'll dig around tonight and post back the solution. I know it involves disabling one or more certain Google services that constantly wake the phone, causing the battery drain.
    Watch this space :)

Paddy_B wrote: »
    I'm looking into a solid fix for this. I know it is fixable without any radical factory reset or flashing of different ROMs. I'll dig around tonight and post back the solution. I know it involves disabling one or more certain Google services that constantly wake the phone, causing the battery drain.
    Watch this space :)

Wakelocks weren't the issue for me anyway. There were some alright,but according to the battery monitor, they only accounted for about 5% of drain. Compared to 40/50% for kernel, that's insignificant, in my case anyway.

I've just done factory reset. Bit of a pain to set up again, even with backup done first.

I believe it is the wakelocks that wake other services within the kernal.
    If the wakelocks are cut down, so will the kernal usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

OTA update to 4.4.2 for the Google Play Edition. Just installing now, think it's just bug fixes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

after a night out i have woken up to the swiftkey keyboard not stretching across the screen. i have a blank area with an arrow but that only moves the keyboard left or right.

it seems to be in a zoomed in mode as the letters are tiny.

no idea on how i done it or how to change it back despite a good search around the settings.

any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Change the keyboard, then change it back again...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Change the keyboard, then change it back again...

Not even, the swift key settings have 3 modes. Press and hold the settings button and choose standard rather than compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Idleater wrote: »
    Not even, the swift key settings have 3 modes. Press and hold the settings button and choose standard rather than compact.

lifesaver, it was driving me insane.:D

Battery life update

After doing a factory reset, the battery does seem a lot better.

It's been off the charger for 8 hours now. Down to 75% with 1hr 10mins screen time. So far, that's about double the screen time I was getting for 25% battery before the reset.

The factory reset cleared all apps, but a restore put most of them back. Notable ones that aren't restored are big ones like Ashphalt 8 and fifa 14. I've not bothered putting them back on yet.

I have restored Cover and Aviate, though. I'm leaving locations completely off, so I'm using Aviate in a more "manual" mode, which is fine.

I'll report back later.

Battery life update

After doing a factory reset, the battery does seem a lot better.

It's been off the charger for 8 hours now. Down to 75% with 1hr 10mins screen time. So far, that's about double the screen time I was getting for 25% battery before the reset.

The factory reset cleared all apps, but a restore put most of them back. Notable ones that aren't restored are big ones like Ashphalt 8 and fifa 14. I've not bothered putting them back on yet.

I have restored Cover and Aviate, though. I'm leaving locations completely off, so I'm using Aviate in a more "manual" mode, which is fine.

I'll report back later.

Battery stats can't really be assessed until a few charge/discharge cycles have completed. Glad it seems better for you though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hi can somebody tell me how do i save my contacts to phone ive to change sim cards ive done this into menu people manage contacts import/export contacts import from sim card to phone then phone says no contacts and i doing something wrong or are they already saved to phone.Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Are your contacts actually on the SIM card though, or are they on your old phone? Contacts on the SIM card is very rare these days, they're limiting both in terms of space and data beyond names and numbers.

I dont know i had the HTC Desire and done some transfer button when I got my new phone.Is there a way of knowing if they are on the phone thanks

texas star wrote: »
    I dont know i had the HTC Desire and done some transfer button when I got my new phone.Is there a way of knowing if they are on the phone thanks

Go to the contacts section of your Gmail account using a "normal" computer and see if your contacts are there.
    If they are, you can just sync with your new phone. If not, then your easiest solution is to sync your old phone there first.
    You can check if you have sim contacts in the people app, by deselecting the other contact sources.

Thanks but i don't have old phone anymore see I was told to change my sim as i keep getting no signal on Tesco network so they've sent me a new sim to try out.So im hoping when I put in new sim all my contact will be still there.Thanks ill just have to see what happens later when i try it out :)

• Advertisement

If it's a new SIM that was never in your old phone, your contacts couldn't possibly be on it.

Yes thats what im asking will my contacts be on my phone?Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

texas star wrote: »
    Yes thats what im asking will my contacts be on my phone?Thanks

No.

No.

Yes if it was synchronised with google contacts or htc backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Hey guys,

Recently bought a HTC One Mini.

My caller ID is not showing up when I'm ringing people which is annoying and causing difficulties as some people will not answer Blocked numbers.

I've gone into Settings and it states that my Caller ID is being displayed. Any other way of correcting this problem?

Thanks.

Idleater wrote: »
    Yes if it was synchronised with google contacts or htc backup.

Read back through what he/she said. They're hoping a new sim card will restore the contacts. I'm not trying to be unhelpful I'm just telling the truth. On a separate note, mobile providers, specifically they're salespeople need to start telling people correct information about contacts transferring. They should be pushing Google contacts for android phones, my mother was recently sold an android phone with no contacts transferred off her old sim to micro sim. Went in to shop to complain and they said they thought she would know. The woman is in her 50s and very obviously not tech savvy. I hate mobile providers and their staff.

/rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I converted my phone to the Google play edition version a few months back, got the ota update to 4.4 and everything, worked like a dream. However, of late I've been getting very annoyed with battery life, I was getting maybe 12-14 hours max out of it (I use bluetooth, the speaker and gps quite a bit).

Bit the bullet yesterday and installed maximus rom, a sense 5.5 kit kat rom. Battery life today has been class, have 25% battery left after a long days use, it would have ordinarily been teetering around 0 by now.

In addition I've forgotten about the small touches that sense does well, such as allowing quick access to certain settings (turn bluetooth on/off, turn auto rotate on/off), so I'll be sticking with Sense once more.

Just my 2c, if struggling with battery maybe try a sense based rom...

Hey guys,

Recently bought a HTC One Mini.

My caller ID is not showing up when I'm ringing people which is annoying and causing difficulties as some people will not answer Blocked numbers.

I've gone into Settings and it states that my Caller ID is being displayed. Any other way of correcting this problem?

Thanks.

I assume you got this sorted. I had the same problem on my One, even though I had it set to show my number in the phone settings. Turned out I had to call Vodafone and they had to do something from their end to get it working.
    dulpit wrote: »
    I converted my phone to the Google play edition version a few months back, got the ota update to 4.4 and everything, worked like a dream. However, of late I've been getting very annoyed with battery life, I was getting maybe 12-14 hours max out of it (I use bluetooth, the speaker and gps quite a bit).

Bit the bullet yesterday and installed maximus rom, a sense 5.5 kit kat rom. Battery life today has been class, have 25% battery left after a long days use, it would have ordinarily been teetering around 0 by now.

In addition I've forgotten about the small touches that sense does well, such as allowing quick access to certain settings (turn bluetooth on/off, turn auto rotate on/off), so I'll be sticking with Sense once more.

Just my 2c, if struggling with battery maybe try a sense based rom...

I have tried GPE ROM's multiple times and I just can't stick with them. Sense has little touches that I miss too much. That said, one of the things I really missed when on a GPE ROM was having Zoe highlights etc, but now with g+ auto awesome photos and movies, it's a great alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I have had my One several months now but recently it has developed an issue where if I am on a call with someone and put them on speakerphone or try to use headphones then the person on the other end cannot hear me yet I can still hear them. Anyone able to shed some light on this? I upgraded to 4.3 OTA not long ago if that maybe has something to do with it?

• Advertisement

Testament1 wrote: »
    I have had my One several months now but recently it has developed an issue where if I am on a call with someone and put them on speakerphone or try to use headphones then the person on the other end cannot hear me yet I can still hear them. Anyone able to shed some light on this? I upgraded to 4.3 OTA not long ago if that maybe has something to do with it?

A possible cause is if you're somehow blocking the noise cancelling mic on the back of the phone (in the white strip above the camera lens). A case could possibly cause this problem, or lying the phone down while on speaker with the second mic covered.

I don't use a case on it but it is possible that dust might have gotten into it. Would that affect trying to use headphones in a call though as I get the same problem there.

Testament1 wrote: »
    I don't use a case on it but it is possible that dust might have gotten into it. Would that affect trying to use headphones in a call though as I get the same problem there.

no, you're right....that problem would only affect speaker phone. assuming you're using headphones with a mic, it should be switching to that one.

Yep headphones with a mic, all used to work fine but now......

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Do the people on the other line hear low audio? nothing at all? some noise interference?

If you record a video does audio playback ok?

Lastly (I hate to ask a stupid and obvious question but just in case) have you tried toggling mute while on the call?

All other audio playback is fine. If I'm in a call normally (not using my speakerphone) then all is well but the second I turn on speaker it just goes silent on their end but I can still hear them crystal clear and no mute isn't accidentally on, checked it every time. Bit of an odd one really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

i'm thinking of buying the HTC one in the next few weeks. I've heard mention of the HTC one 2 coming out soon. anyone know anything about it? would it be worth holding off buying now and wait for the next model? thanks

nipps wrote: »
    i'm thinking of buying the HTC one in the next few weeks. I've heard mention of the HTC one 2 coming out soon. anyone know anything about it? would it be worth holding off buying now and wait for the next model? thanks

Anyone's guess exactly when it will come out. I think they usually release new ones around April, but there are rumours online of an earlier release this time. Doubt it'll be in the next few weeks, though.

I'll try to dig out an article I read yesterday and link to it here later, but basically it was saying that the next One (rumoured to be called One+) will be an incremental upgrade rather than anything radical. Same RAM as current model, but with slightly bigger camera, 6 ultra pixels. It'll have Sense 6 and Kit Kat, too, but they'll both come to the current model at some stage too.

Here's a link HTC One 2 (M8) Preliminary Specs Leaked Again

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/htc-one-2-m8-preliminary-specs-leaked-again-04-01-2014/

If you want to follow it, add a search for "htc m8" to google alerts. That should pick up any credible sources, as it refers to the codename for the handset, rather than the silly names the mainstream media are coming up with (htc one two, htc one plus, etc) while they wait for HTC to pick one. :_

At this time of year I'd say hang on if you can at all but it will likely be April at the earliest before you can get it. Unless your getting a good price for the One in which case might be worth going for, personally I think this time of the year is the worst Android wise anyway unless you're thinking of a Sony. Samsung S5 and HTC M8 or One+ whatever its called likely to be out in April so buying a year old phone now and entering a 2 year contract is a bad call IMO.

If its off contract and your getting a good price though I couldn't recommend this phone enough, its fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

ye i'm looking to get it off contract. the best price i've seen so far for a black one, sim free is 525euro. i'll be out of the country next weekend so i'll be keeping an eye out in the duty free section in the airport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement