Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

nipps wrote: »
    ye i'm looking to get it off contract. the best price i've seen so far for a black one, sim free is 525euro. i'll be out of the country next weekend so i'll be keeping an eye out in the duty free section in the airport.

Do not buy at that price, get a Moto G and hold out till April for the 2014 flagships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Agree with Ben, definitely don't buy for that price. Thats more or less what the sim free M8 will cost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

nipps wrote: »

Shipped from Hong Kong? I'd be a bit wary to be honest. Have you looked on Adverts.ie? Usually a couple of unwanted upgrades floating around there or barely used phones. Donedeal might be worth a try. I know my friend sold his for €320, 2 months old and in an otterbox case for that duration so they can be got for a reasonable price if your set on getting one ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

Shipped from Hong Kong? I'd be a bit wary to be honest. Have you looked on Adverts.ie? Usually a couple of unwanted upgrades floating around there or barely used phones. Donedeal might be worth a try. I know my friend sold his for €320, 2 months old and in an otterbox case for that duration so they can be got for a reasonable price if your set on getting one ASAP.

yeah i know. but ebay tend to be more reliable than the likes of donedeal and adverts. i've been keeping an eye on both adverts and donedeal, nothing in particular jumping out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

I was having problems with picture messages so the man in the shop said I had do a factory reset on my phone,which wiped everything. Is my phone knackered now I've only had it since July and I really love it.Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

texas star wrote: »
    I was having problems with picture messages so the man in the shop said I had do a factory reset on my phone,which wiped everything. Is my phone knackered now I've only had it since July and I really love it.Thanks

I doubt it's knackered. Depending on what the issue was, you may not have needed the factory reset. Anyway, apart from the inconvenience of having to reinstall stuff, a factory reset every now again is probably a good idea.

Next time, make sure you have done a back up before the reset, and maybe set up something like Google Photos to automatically keep a copy of pictures before the reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Ah really ah thank goodness I thought by resetting it would damage the phone.I do have my pics backed up but lost apps that I can't find anymore.Oh well that's good news thank u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Just something stupid. But when sending text msgs and putting in the emoticons/smiley faces it doesn't change the :) to the graphical image. It used to do this but is this a result of android 4.3 and sense 5.5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Hi all

I got a htc one mini for christmas and it's going really well but one problem I have is that I don't know how to find out what the little icons represent at the top of the screen.

The little icon in the pic below just appeared yesterday and it doesn't go away when I turn off the phone.

6rnyx4yo.jpg

Anyone know what that is? and/or be able to point me to a page that explains what all the icons represent?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That's your phone on vibration only with ringtone off - but no idea why it would stay on all the time? Unless its related to an app?

The below are a general idea for android icons

52473d1363717347-htc-one-notification-status-icons-what-they-mean-phonesymbols1.jpg

52472d1363717325-htc-one-notification-status-icons-what-they-mean-phonenotification.jpg

cyberhog wrote: »
    Hi all

I got a htc one mini for christmas and it's going really well but one problem I have is that I don't know how to find out what the little icons represent at the top of the screen.

The little icon in the pic below just appeared yesterday and it doesn't go away when I turn off the phone.

6rnyx4yo.jpg

Anyone know what that is? and/or be able to point me to a page that explains what all the icons represent?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

I have the HTC One and I also have this icon, it is normal! Just the phone on vibrate as GBX said :)
    There is a musical note icon with a line through it if you put vibration & ringtone off also.
    These two icons are permanent when the phone is in either of these two modes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

Just something stupid. But when sending text msgs and putting in the emoticons/smiley faces it doesn't change the :) to the graphical image. It used to do this but is this a result of android 4.3 and sense 5.5 ?

I've noticed sometimes I need to type the nose of the smiley to make his graphic appear like : - ) lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Bought the htc one mini today. First impressions are good. What are the must have apps? I'm an android newbie. Had an iPhone for the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

eoz wrote: »
    Bought the htc one mini today. First impressions are good. What are the must have apps? I'm an android newbie. Had an iPhone for the last few years.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055658304/1
    5000 odd posts there to go through

All, does anyone know of a fairly easy way to root the HTC One? Some one who has actually done it. Seems like rooting this phone is a pain where the sun don't shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

All, does anyone know of a fairly easy way to root the HTC One? Some one who has actually done it. Seems like rooting this phone is a pain where the sun don't shine.

Rooting is a pain that wipes the phone. Best thing to do is root the day you get it.

There are guides on xda forum for it.

Basically you have to unlock the bootloader using HTC dev, this wipes the device. Flash custom recovery then install root.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

htconeroot looks to be a good guide with downloads to work with.
    I used a site by the same author to root HTC One X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Aviate is awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

anyone know how to set a screenshot as wallpaper without it being automatically resized?? trying to get my lecture timetable up as wallpaper of some sort so easy to find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

DJW11 wrote: »
    anyone know how to set a screenshot as wallpaper without it being automatically resized?? trying to get my lecture timetable up as wallpaper of some sort so easy to find

There's an app called Wallpaper Wizardrii, should let you set the wallpaper as needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

still the same cropping issues. surely theres a way of setting the wallpaper exactly the same as a picture appears on screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MCD.

Hi,

I am on my 3rd HTC One in the space of 4 months.

#1 Dead Pixels
    #2 Wouldn't charge
    #3 Dead pixels and proximity detector

Am I right in assuming that based on the history I am entitled to return my phone and be released from my contract?

Any help appreciated...

MCD. wrote: »
    Hi,

#1 Dead Pixels
    #2 Wouldn't charge

Am I right in assuming that based on the history I am entitled to return my phone and be released from my contract?

Any help appreciated...

There's possibly an argument to be made, better off discussing it in the Talk To forum for whoever your phone carrier is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

Hi,

#1 Dead Pixels
    #2 Wouldn't charge

Any help appreciated...
    I would say you are but you'd probably need to go to the small claims process to get released from it. You want to reject and rescind your contract as it has been frustrated by the multiple device failures. Check out the NCA's guide http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Hi,

#1 Dead Pixels
    #2 Wouldn't charge

Any help appreciated...

Mine wont charge now while its turned on it keeps saying its in USB host mode,will charge when turned off though...ive looked online and it seems a common enough problem but i cant find a solution to fix it...anyone here have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Hi,

#1 Dead Pixels
    #2 Wouldn't charge

Any help appreciated...

Generally contract is not for the phone but for the service. I don't think you can cancel the contract because of the fault with the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Mine wont charge now while its turned on it keeps saying its in USB host mode,will charge when turned off though...ive looked online and it seems a common enough problem but i cant find a solution to fix it...anyone here have any ideas?
    Is there dirt or fluff in USB area in phone. Use a light bristle brush to clean. Happened on my old phone and got errors but was fine once cleaned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Keith186 wrote: »
    Is there dirt or fluff in USB area in phone. Use a light bristle brush to clean. Happened on my old phone and got errors but was fine once cleaned.

This actually worked i just cleaned out the charger port and now its charging while turned on, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Hey guys, I thought I'd bookmarked the easiest method of transferring to a GPE, but it seems I didn't.

Does anyone have a link to the easiest/best method to move to GPE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Anyone know where I can get a replacement HTC One screen cos I went and dropped my phone and it has a crack through the centre.

The phones display and touch etc still works fine, just the crack is annoying me.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Right, new issue. Apps have now started randomly crashing and the phone has to be restarted to get them to work again. Seems to be some sort of chain reaction too in that if one crashes then I can't use any other app without them crashing upon opening and the phone has to be restarted. This ever happened anyone else?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Hey guys, I thought I'd bookmarked the easiest method of transferring to a GPE, but it seems I didn't.

Does anyone have a link to the easiest/best method to move to GPE?

This is the guide I followed, and it worked quite well.

dulpit wrote: »
    This is the guide I followed, and it worked quite well.

Appears to be no link there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Cheers!

bare in mind that if you are on hboot 1.54 you will have to use rumrunner to get s-off rather than moonshine. there is a good guide for s-off on xda

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2365506

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

Anyone know where I can get a replacement HTC One screen cos I went and dropped my phone and it has a crack through the centre.

The phones display and touch etc still works fine, just the crack is annoying me.

Cheers

Forget about it. Screens are virtually irreplaceable on the HTC one. There is too much damage done while trying to open it, because of the unibody design. Received the worst Mark for repairs to a mobile ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

I have the One on Meteor and something that can be annoying.
    If I choose to reject a call it appears to ring back straight away as if the rejection was by mistake and I have continue rejecting it.

Does this happen to anyone else or is this a setting ?

Just had a look at that video.

I rooted and put custom roms on my Galaxy S3 last year, and it seemed a lot more straightforward than on the One.

Is it really worth doing? I heard somewhere that the camera isn't as good after conversion, is that right?

What does GPE do for battery life?

• Advertisement

Just had a look at that video.

I rooted and put custom roms on my Galaxy S3 last year, and it seemed a lot more straightforward than on the One.

Is it really worth doing? I heard somewhere that the camera isn't as good after conversion, is that right?

What does GPE do for battery life?

It's not a ROM though, it sets your phone up as the Google Play Edition, which means you'll receive OTA updates from Google as and when they push them. Also means you won't be rooted.

I ran the GPE version for a while. Good points were battery life (to an extent) and increased performance. Bad points were mainly to do with no sense (I like sense). Ultimately I switched to a Sense ROM.

It's not a ROM though, it sets your phone up as the Google Play Edition, which means you'll receive OTA updates from Google as and when they push them. Also means you won't be rooted.

I ran the GPE version for a while. Good points were battery life (to an extent) and increased performance. Bad points were mainly to do with no sense (I like sense). Ultimately I switched to a Sense ROM.

Fair enough. I kinda like Sense too. Way slicker than TouchWiz.

I have a Nexus7, so I can see what the latest OS is like on that, so I'm not itching to have it on my phone. I'd only convert if it made a real positive difference.

I think if I still had my S3 I'd be more tempted to convert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

lfc2000 wrote: »
    Forget about it. Screens are virtually irreplaceable on the HTC one. There is too much damage done while trying to open it, because of the unibody design. Received the worst Mark for repairs to a mobile ever.

So its either send back to HTC to fix or get new one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

Picked up one of these second hand. Lovely phone. First thing I tried was putting a GPE ROM on it. Unlocked the bootloader and rooted easily enough, but I didn't realise that unlocking the boot loader and s-on/s-off were two different things. (I assumed they were the same).

Ended up stuck in a bootloop, which was annoying, but managed to pull it back to stock after a bit of hit and miss with adb. After a frustrating hour or so with revone and moonshine, finally copped that I needed rumrunner. All in all, about 3 hours it took.

Very happy with it. Battery seems to last better than the nexus 5, which, as far as I know, has the same capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Anybody have any idea when we will get KitKat?

srumball wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea when we will get KitKat?

Can't point you to a source off the top of my head, but I read before Xmas that HTC are rolling it out around the end of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

There's not really much difference in 4.4.
    If any update came out, i'd be more interested if it came with a Sense update tbh.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    There's not really much difference in 4.4.
    If any update came out, i'd be more interested if it came with a Sense update tbh.

Yep, with you on that. I have kit kat on my nexus 7, and there's no stand out feature in it that I'm chomping at the bit to get on my One. An update to Sense, though, could bring something new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Put mine on charge last night at 20% battery,woke up this morning and was only at 72% and back of phone was warm,anybody have this before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I have a water damaged one, doesn't seem to charge correctly as the light flashes for a split second every 5 seconds maybe. It does half power on then dies. Reckon battery is goosed and a few minor water marks on the phone. Anyone know if it is worth anything as it's almost mint otherwise.

Advertisement