Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wife and electric charge

Options
  • 26-02-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

I dont think there is anything paranormal here, but don't know where else to post this.

My wife over the last three months has been giving me huge static shocks and now when she enters a room my sons remote control music box switches on and just now she switched the light switch on and the tv switched on.

Does anyone have any explaination for this ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

It could just be her shoes, building up a huge static charge from the carpet or whatever she's walking on. Some people can build up more charge than others.

But it's likely it's just her shoes, her clothes, and the carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

This happens to me sometimes :o

I think I am more prone to static electricity - don't know why..

But I do know:

cheap nylon carpet and rubber soled shoes do not a good mix make..

I've often shocked myself from a filing cabinet (metal) or my car door.

Sorry I don't know the answer.. but it's not paranormal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

That explains the static charges, but doesn't explain the main point of the post which is :

"when she enters a room my sons remote control music box switches on and just now she switched the light switch on and the tv switched on"

How can a static charge switch on a TV - which is an Infrared signal ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Smoggy wrote: »
    That explains the static charges, but doesn't explain the main point of the post which is :

"when she enters a room my sons remote control music box switches on and just now she switched the light switch on and the tv switched on"

How can a static charge switch on a TV - which is an Infrared signal ?

And now, for the science bit.

The static charge a person can build up is actually quite huge. If you're susceptible to these charges, it can be real pain. You'll keep getting shocks - say kissing your partners lips - a spark might jump from their lips to yours.it sounds cute, and they might not feel a thing, but it can be really uncomfortable. like OUCH!!!!

You've played around with magnets - you've seen the invisible force between the magnets - or at least you've felt it.

Electricity and magnetism, are more or less the same thing. If someone is carrying a big static electrical charge, they will have a big electrical field around them, you can't see. When they move near electrical devices, they can make them go haywire.

If someone, carrying a large static charge, walks by a television or remote control, that in itself could be enough to throw a switch and turn a television on.

It's not voodoo, or black magic. Take a comb....rub it in your hair ....and then have little tiny pieces of paper - wave the comb over them and see them dance as if by magic. That's electricity. Which is as good as magic - and if you don't think so, there is obviously something wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Great explaination - Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Good information krd. This thread made me laugh, it should be in the humour section. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 matbaron

Is the remote for the music box infrared also?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭castor 1

A few years back every time I went into a particular walk-in wardrobe and bent down I could hear a humming sound coming from over my head.

Above me was one of those brass coloured chrome pipes on which you place clothes hangers. At the time there were no clothes hanging on it and everytime I bent down or sat down on my hunkers there was a high pitched hum coming from the pipe.

The trousers I was wearing had some kind of acrylic/nylon constituent in it and I presumed at the time that I was creating static electricity which was transferring its energy some way into the pipe above causing the humming sound.

I ‘suffer’ a lot from static electricity anyway. Everytime I get out of a car I have to tap the car body with my knuckles, otherwise I get an unpleasant shock when I close the door.

Advertisement