Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you be a bodyguard?

• 27-02-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

seen as its on the tv tonight........

would you be a bodyguard, say if it was for massive money. would you put your body on the line for someone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

seen as its on the tv tonight........

would you be a bodyguard, say if it was for massive money. would you put your body on the line for someone else?

For massive money I'd sell my soul.

Otherwise, nope. Too much hassle from the general public. If I wanted that I'd go back to working in retail for better hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

For money, no. I wouldn't put my life in danger for anyone except family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'm 5 8, 11 stone and a trinity student. Unless I was defending a midget in some odd midget village i dont have a chance:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I'm 5 8, 11 stone and a trinity student. Unless I was defending a midget in some odd midget village i dont have a chance:p

ahhh im sure you could take a few bullets.... small bullets... ( or rocks thrown by kids )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah but not for anyone, I'm an ethical bodyguard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Depends who for, a friend of mine who's Da done security for a few big name celebs said that a lot of them are just assholes to work for, I'd find it pretty hard to take a bullet for someone I didnt like, well come to think of it I'd find it hard to take a bullet for anyone so I guess my answer is no I wouldn't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'd be a bodygaurd if the money and training were adequate for the risk level. If I didn't like it I could always sell my inside information to the Irish Cabal of Assasins or ICA for short, the militant wing of the legion of Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Id do it for our president/taoiseach for free. Not that I particularly like the two people currently elected, its just more of a respect thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I'd do it but only if I can call you Betty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

littlejp wrote: »
    I'd do it but only if I can call you Betty.

:D I like that...

Being a bodyguard is more than just being near by to jump in front of a speeding bullet...

A lot of the time, a bodyguard is standing around doing very little..However said Bodyguard would prefer to be standing around securing a hallway than pushing their principle through a crowd intent on harm...

Once a situation has reached that level the bodyguard has failed in his/her duties. If a bodyguard can get from A to B without incident its is generally considered a job well done. This is due to advance planning, a good working relationship with your principle and sensible practices to ensure your principle is never confronted with a threat in the first place.

In answer to your original question, yes, I would protect someone in return for money, and hope that all my efforts and planning would ensure I never bring my principle to a gun battle in the first place...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There is more to the job than just jumping in front of bullets.
    Thats more than a bit of a misconception. The job is about using ones brains!
    Know the dangers, quickly recognising the turkey shoot points, spotting the things that look 'odd' in a crowd, diversifying alternate routes, being prepared, being able NOT to be spotted as a bodyguard at times, recognising the various multiple people formations and methods used by people stalking and/or doing their own security assessment before eventually attacking an intended target. One has to be able to know which vehicles are best for different types of jobs (and know how each is additionally effected by ground terrain, changing weather and by incoming weapon fire, etc), be resourceful quickly with ones immediate surroundings, know how to adapt and have good range in skill in not just weapons but how to also make use of every day objects and turn them into such or use them as a method of non-offensive protection.

This film created image of "O' a bodyguard just is about having to jump in front of bullets" is a daft film/media misconception.
    Bodyguards are paid high money, they however are most times bored out of their tree if they are NOT doing their job of constant observation and assessment.
    It all takes brains to know and do this stuff (quickly!), not just an ability (if you believe what you see on screen) that you can throw yourself in front of a body!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

I did "close protection" for a family who were identified risks for a few years.
    They were great to work for but I never intended , nor was I expected to, "take a bullet" for them. I was employed to access risk, avoid it and gather intelligence that was relevent to their security. Years later I realise that I was simply an insurance requirement :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

it would be a great job, i watched the film on last night for the umpteenth time and plus you might get to look after someone really famous :D

Advertisement