Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSH test.

Options
  • 27-02-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am not sure if this is the correct forum but I am just looking for some advice on getting my FSH levels tested. I am in my early thirties and for various reasons I am considering putting off TTC for another year however I am worried that if I do I could then be one of many people who have problems TTC. Is it possible for me to ask my GP to get my FSH levels tested in order to see if i should be concerned?
    I am worried due to being on the pill around 13 years and I have an underactive thyroid (autoimmune) which could potentially cause issues.

Any advice appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I got mine done as part of the full bloodwork for TTC in the GP's office, so I'd say that its possible in most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's easy to get FSH tested, but if I was you I would also get a referral for an AMH test which will tell you more about your ovarian reserve - it's possible to have a normal FSH result and still be low on eggs, and better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Your doc should be able to get your fsh and lh tested.
    I have had mine tested through the nurse in my docs. I also have an autoimmune issue and got my levels checked last yr. And you are right to get it done now espec with having the thyroid issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

You can get all your hormones checked on the correct days of your cycle. The GP usually doesn't do an AMH, you may need a referal for this, I did anyway.

There is one element here you need to consider carefully.

You can get all your hormones back perfect, but you also need a workup done on your partners sperm. You may get resistance from him and your GP on this, put it is pointless having your fertility checked and not his.

It is worth paying the private clinics for any fertility checks, both male and female, it is the only way to get proper results and advice.

I don't mean any of the above in a mean way, but we found out the hard way. If you're putting off TTC, you're being wise in getting all the checks, but just don't waste too much time, especially if your thyroid is underactive.

Advertisement