Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician/Cable jointer Trades recognition

Options
  • 27-02-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello guys,
    I am a 28 year old electrician who has worked in various jobs in the electrical field. However most of my experiernce is in power distribution and cable jointing work. I'm thinking strongly of emigrating to Australia and I was wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to start the trade recognition process before I head to Australia?
    Regards Scrappy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You need the trade recognition to get the Skilled visa, you need the Skilled visa to emigrate to Australia.

It's essential to get your ducks in the right order.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

if you not going on a skilled visa you don't have to get it and you can get over there but it takes time

but from what i understand we don't have the recognition test here i think the union teeu said about bringing it in before christmas but i haven't seen anything about it since

i know you can do it in the uk and it is about 2000 aus dollars i think

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

I've heard conflicting reports about the trade recognition cert. is it possible to get this before I leave. Some say yes and some say you have to be in Australia. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Scrappylad wrote: »
    I've heard conflicting reports about the trade recognition cert. is it possible to get this before I leave. Some say yes and some say you have to be in Australia. Thanks

well you mentioned emigrating so I assume you mean a skilled migration visa, you cant get a skilled visa unless you have done skills assessment first.

apply for Skills assessment -> Apply for Skilled Visa -> emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

Yeah it would be a skilled migration visa. I suppose I'm really wonder if it is possible to get a artc cert before I leave or do you have to be in Australia . Or would I have to go through the offshore skills route. Can any electrician who has gone through the process give me an idea how they dealt with the process? How did the find it afterwards? Are they enjoying working over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Hello Scrappylad,

The skilled visa program is changing on July 1st so you need to bear that in mind. I would not be concentrating on the ARTC etc at this point if you are looking for a skilled visa. You should be looking at

- skill assessment process
    - your points score
    - ielts (english language test)
    - state sponsorship criteria if you want the fast visa
    - visa application criteria

and factor in the costs which will be a minimum of 4,500 euros. Should you decide get professional assistance those costs would be in addition to the 4,500 euros.

Lots to think about....good luck, Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭aceofspades.ie

Scrappylad wrote: »
    Hello guys,
    I am a 28 year old electrician who has worked in various jobs in the electrical field. However most of my experiernce is in power distribution and cable jointing work. I'm thinking strongly of emigrating to Australia and I was wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to start the trade recognition process before I head to Australia?
    Regards Scrappy

The TEEU union have info on their website about working in Australia or Canada, they would be the best ones to get this type of info from as they are Electrical Union, the link to info is here:
    http://www.teeu.ie/jobslink.asp

best of luck with this

Advertisement