Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a Mod

Options
  • 27-02-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a query on applying for a mod for a rifle I already have in my possession.

Do I go about this by sending a letter into my local station, or will I have to meet with the local FO or Super and apply through them after chatting with them?

I have heard conflicting stories about having to supply the make of your preferred mod when asking for it, is this necessary?

I know I need a genuine reason for having one, which I do have.

Cheers for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Hi all,

Just a query on applying for a mod for a rifle I already have in my possession.

Do I go about this by sending a letter into my local station, or will I have to meet with the local FO or Super and apply through them after chatting with them?

I have heard conflicting stories about having to supply the make of your preferred mod when asking for it, is this necessary?

I know I need a genuine reason for having one, which I do have.

Cheers for any replies.

As far as i can remember i think because you already have firearms cert you must fill out an fca1 from and hand it in. if approved you will have to pay 80. letters from super/F.O are no longer acceptable

tommy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You need to apply for the mod using an FCA1 as the mod stands as a firearm in it's own right. If successul you should receive a repacement lcense with the "S" in the bottom left corner.

As for charges. Technically you may get hit with another €80. It's up to the FO/Super in your district. Thats why it's suggested you apply for a mod when applying for the rifle. Have the permission, and save yourself a further €80.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just thinking about this and could you not put in for a sub license and apply for the mod as well then- saves the extra €80 for just a mod application.

Just an Idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

clivej wrote: »
    Just thinking about this and could you not put in for a sub license and apply for the mod as well then- saves the extra €80 for just a mod application.

Just an Idea.

thats what i did when i changed from my .17hmr to my .22lr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Was just talking about this yesterday with two lads. Both of them got hit for 80 euro when they applied for their mods. If I was you Id wait until the licence is up for renewel and then slap it in.

Until then just use subsonics. Once your using subs your not gonna hear a whole lot of difference when you put on a mod. Its just a quiet round- mod or no mod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I must be a special case so. I just sent in a letter stating why i wanted it etc. Got a letter couple of weeks later saying it was approved. No cost or no new application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Feck sake! That is ridiculous! I will go in a have a chat with the FO and/or Super at some stage and clarify what they want sure. If I have to pay I will use Subs instead.

Hopefully my case will be like Dusty87's! Should have just applied for it with the original application!

Lesson learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Dusty87 wrote: »
    I must be a special case so. I just sent in a letter stating why i wanted it etc. Got a letter couple of weeks later saying it was approved. No cost or no new application.

Same as.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

This isn't a mod issue, but similar idea... I applied in writing to bump my cartridge allowance up from 250 to 1000. Just got a letter back saying it was done. My cert says 250 on it but technically I'm now covered for the thousand.

Ask for a reprint. If its not on your license then legally any dealer cannot sell you more than is on it. Also if you had a house visit and produced a license with 250 on it, and you had 800 cartridges you could be on the receiving end of alot of awkward, long, and frustrating questions.

Get a reprint with the new limit on it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

I see where you're coming from, but I'd have the letter here for house visit purposes. But you're right, the dealer doesn't have to accept a letter.

Correct.

If you have it on the license then you are 100% covered. If you go out to a clay shoot some day, forget the letter, and get stopped with 500 rounds. Whats happens. I know you are covered on PULSE, but a Garda on the "beat" will rely on your license to provide him with the details he wants.

Besides a reprint is free, painless, and gives great peace on mind. If you are covered like the letter says then its already on PULSE and shouldn't be an issue.

How do you "ask" for a reprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Gonzor wrote: »
    Was just talking about this yesterday with two lads. Both of them got hit for 80 euro when they applied for their mods. If I was you Id wait until the licence is up for renewel and then slap it in.

Until then just use subsonics. Once your using subs your not gonna hear a whole lot of difference when you put on a mod. Its just a quiet round- mod or no mod.

I wonder will they make us go through the whole FCA1 thing again?

or will we just get a bill in the post?

Robotack wrote: »
    How do you "ask" for a reprint?
    Go into your firearms officer, ask him/her for a reprint. He simply turns on the computer, connects with PULSE, and hits reprint while making sure the 1000 ammo limit is among the new details on the card.
    Chiparus wrote: »
    I wonder will they make us go through the whole FCA1 thing again?

or will we just get a bill in the post?
    The FCA1's are applications so there are no renewals. When the licenses are up we will have to re=apply for the licenses we currently have. Whether they continue to use the FCA1 in it's current format or alter it - Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Ezridax wrote: »
    Go into your firearms officer, ask him/her for a reprint. He simply turns on the computer, connects with PULSE, and hits reprint while making sure the 1000 ammo limit is among the new details on the card.

As above - I just did exactly this last week, simply had to put the request and justification into an email and the new ticket arrived Tuesday with 1000 round quota.

Advertisement