Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail varnise?

Options
  • 27-02-2012 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I heard that nail varnise can be used as thread lock???? any truth in it???

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It could work, and i've heard of it being done, but never seen it. However i would say it hardens and becomes brittle so is likely to shattter so stay with red loctite if you want something held.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 39,368 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It would be soem benefit. Adding some friction to the thread. But it would be as good as proper locking fluid designed to cure anaerobically, with a much higher strength.
    I would use it on anything critical, but ok for everyday screws

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Yes i use it on mount threads as it was always easy to get hold of here in the house. I would tend to put it more on the head of screws that way with some nail varnish remover it can be taken off/softened up very easy.

its an old trick and works

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Been used for a sealent around the AR15/M16 gas tube from the barrel for awhile by gunsmiths to prevent gas leakage.
    So it proably will work.However if there is Loctite in three strengths these days.[Blue weakest,Green the strongest] or Super glue???:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement