Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of petrol megathread

Options
  • 17-02-2012 4:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Thanks America - you are truly loved by ALL

I assume the sanctions America has placed on Iran is causing this hike.
    That on top of our gubberment increasing fuel costs, then slap 23% VAT on top of that as well.

Petrol must have risen about 10c per litre in the last 2 months

F**K YOU AMERICA
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hasn't it been that price for a while now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Must give the Greeks a mention, them fucking around and screwing up the Euro exchange rate, just to add to the sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,151 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

**** Eamon Gilmore more like it, he's the one who gave the ok for Irish Sanctions against Iran the hypocritical prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Fúck sake. I filled up last night @ 157.9 and thought that was bad.

These prices are fúcking killing me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

py2006 wrote: »
    Hasn't it been that price for a while now? :confused:

No, the last time I got petrol 5 days ago it was 155.9 a litre.
    Today I got petrol and it was 159.9 a litre

5 days apart, same petrol station. I enquired and the person behind the till told me the product was costing more for them and so was passed on to us.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Fúck sake. I filled up last night @ 157.9 and thought that was bad.

These prices are fúcking killing me.

Killing me as well man, gonna have to downgrade to rollerblades I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

back to horse n cart ireland? the yanks would flock in droves to see ireland back using horses and carts again....... better start knitting them aran sweaters again.

Oh the joys of not owning a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

There are two price changes a week in the oil market, whch are subject to the Rotterdam lagged market price changes, or PLATTS price as it's known in the industry. The price changes on wednesday and friday nights at midnight.

The change in price tonight is 1.63c per litre up, which will be reflected by stations next time they have to pay for their tanks to be filled. Of course if there is another rise next wednesday, and a station gets it's stock next thursday that price could be higher still.

As it is, there is a predicted drop of around 0.5c per litre next wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Thanks America - you are truly loved by ALL

I assume the sanctions America has placed on Iran is causing this hike.
    That on top of our gubberment increasing fuel costs, then slap 23% VAT on top of that as well.

Petrol must have risen about 10c per litre in the last 2 months

F**K YOU AMERICA

It has more to do with the weakening Euro against the Dollar all oil is traded in Dollars

So thank you IRELAND and the rest of the pigs thank you.

I wonder will we see 2 euro a litre this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

44leto wrote: »

Maybe not this year but defo next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Oh the joys of not owning a car.

These prices affect everyone indirectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

44leto wrote: »
    Maybe as soon as Israel blows up the first US Warship in the persian Gulf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My local has been 159.9 for a while now. No doubt it's well over 160 now if others have gone up over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Motors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

OK I've heard this a few places but this being the internet im going to spout it like its mine .. The price of petrol is it really that high ? if you consider all the work that has to go into getting from beneath 100's of metres of ocean , under tonnes of rock , processed , cleaned , refined , and pumped into your car for about 1.57 a litre , sure a can of coke can be more expensive than that , I think the reason people talk about it so much it because the amounts we use it in are so vast . any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

When you think of it like that why is coke so dear?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Doodoo wrote: »

Dodgy business, plus there's a lot of middle men that need paying before it reaches your local dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Doodoo wrote: »

Because the production and distribution networks are constantly being harassed by the Americans (DEA) and their stooges in the Colombian government as well as by numerous other governments, in addition to which huge sums have to be paid in bribes to police, customs, judges, politicians and many others to allow the coke to continue to flow. All this inevitably adds to the price the consumer has to pay.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

facemelter wrote: »
    OK I've heard this a few places but this being the internet im going to spout it like its mine .. The price of petrol is it really that high ? if you consider all the work that has to go into getting from beneath 100's of metres of ocean , under tonnes of rock , processed , cleaned , refined , and pumped into your car for about 1.57 a litre , sure a can of coke can be more expensive than that , I think the reason people talk about it so much it because the amounts we use it in are so vast . any thoughts ?
    Sure if you think of the aerodynamics of an aeroplane, sure it costs millions to build it, it's extreme engineering ingenuity. I needs radar. You need pilots and staff.. We should up the prices to 10,000 for a flight!

My point. Look at a basic P&L for any oil company that hasn't spilled **** into the ocean and ask why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Why is it if we hear on the news about some conflict in an oil producing region or some currency fluctuation that affects the price of a barrel of oil then the price can shoot up overnight

But when it's resolved it can take weeks and months for the price to come back down again

I feel we're getting screwed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

my issue isnt even with the price of petrol if it actually reflected cost and company profit . but paying 85 cent(think thats the correct figure- could be higher) in every liter to our government is what gets me .

they should be lowering their cut -even put inplace a cap and stick to it - if prices rise they lower tax - if prices go down raise taxes /
    but they would rather bleed us dry to the breaking point before making changes.

petrol/ diesel has become a nessacity for life - coke hasnt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

When compared to places like the US, Yes Petrol is really expensive here, but In comparison to the majority of Europe its not that much more expensive! The majority of petrol price is just Tax really.

FYI petrol in the US costs about €0.72c a litre at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its a finite resource, it will always only ever really go up in price until its all gone.

The government takes a huge percentage of it in tax also, this would wind ya up. But not much to be done about it tbh, unless everyone is going to start cycling etc, supply and demand, the demand is only growing every day, so the price can be pushed up bit by bit. Same with ciggies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Why is it if we hear on the news about some conflict in an oil producing region or some currency fluctuation that affects the price of a barrel of oil then the price can shoot up overnight

But when it's resolved it can take weeks and months for the price to come back down again

I feel we're getting screwed :(
    We are been screwed, sure the barrels that are going into your car where bought ages ago but they still base the price on the barrell the day it goes up, The Government and the petrol stations are both to blame, sure my local puts the price up at busy periods knowing they will get people in either way then drop it again when its not mad busy.
    stevenf17 wrote: »
    The majority of petrol price is just Tax really.

How they can justify taxing the petrol like that and then still charge for car tax and toll charges too is beyond me-Motorists really are been screwed.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Go into any garage and you'll find a litre of Ballygowen is dearer than a litre of Petrol. The OP has a point but Fuel is produced on a mass scale and once the system to produce it is in place it becomes cheap to produce.

It is very cheap for what we get for it and because it id so cheap we abuse it, we drive everywhere in big 5 seater cars and usually alone. But it is also the volume of it that used daily, roughly 20 million barrels a day. We don't consume any other commodity as much, no other commodity is anywhere close.

But OP fret not, the price is rising and it is not coming back down, the world capacity for production is not much more then perhaps 25 million barrels a day, so the days of cheap petrol is coming to an end.

I am taking wagers that we will see 2euro a litre this year. A bet I hope I lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

facemelter wrote: »
    for about 1.57 a litre

I paid 161 yesterday. Where is this cheap petrol you speak of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Expensive oil isn't necessarily a bad thing either because increasing prices make alternatives energy sources more attractive.

At the moment oil is just the best way to power the world.

• Advertisement

stevenf17 wrote: »
    When compared to places like the US, Yes Petrol is really expensive here, but In comparison to the majority of Europe its not that much more expensive! The majority of petrol price is just Tax really.

I watch the CBS news most nights at 12.30 on Sky and you would want to hear them wailing over the price of ""GAS"", some even can't sell their "Gas" guzzling SUVs and have to opt for smaller cars. Ahhh I do want to give the poor folk a hug.

Advertisement