Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of petrol megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

it would take some organisation but it could work ;)

Cool, lets all not do Shell this week then and see what happens.

If I see anyone reading this thread in a Shell station then I will put sugary jellies in their tank when they go in to pay for petrol.

'but you need a key to open the flap' you say?

Well then I will use the jellies that are shaped like keys. You know the ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Fall in crude, as other people have pointed out, takes a while to trickle down the fuel supply chain. Prices are noticeably down in my area (D8-D12) now. However, there's a big UK refinery (Coryton) that's about to pack it in after a failed rescue attempt, so you can expect to see a bump fairly shortly. May as well fill up while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

first time ive seen it in the 1.50s in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

People like money

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

geeky wrote: »
    Fall in crude, as other people have pointed out, takes a while to trickle down the fuel supply chain. Prices are noticeably down in my area (D8-D12) now. However, there's a big UK refinery (Coryton) that's about to pack it in after a failed rescue attempt, so you can expect to see a bump fairly shortly. May as well fill up while you can.
    and a couple in germany too so less supply from the continent too.

however they are loosing money making petrol + diesel I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

first time ive seen it in the 1.50s in a long while.
    Are you talking about diesel? Petrol is 1.67 on average from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭Wompa1

3.65 for a gallon where I am. I fill my car for around 23 euro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Wompa1 wrote: »
    yea, we don't talk in gallons over here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

3.65 for a gallon where I am. I fill my car for around 23 euro

96c a litre? Been awhile since I saw those kind of prices in Ireland :(

smash wrote: »

€158.9 in Clonard, near Kinnegad! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think they use smaller gallons too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://pumps.ie/
    The good news is the downward treb=nd has become stronger and the US dollar / euro is stabiising, so finally we should see some decent price changes at the pumps and we predict average prices will drop to 1.58 in about 10 days with many stations below 1.55 For diesel, expecta similar trend, but about 8c-10c below petrol prices and it quite possible we will see diesel below 1.40 by month end and petrol below 1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

and a couple in germany too so less supply from the continent too.

however they are loosing money making petrol + diesel I'll never know.

Refining margins are actually through the floor, particularly in Europe. Fuel taxes inflate the pump price dramatically, then you've got to consider that they're competing against facilities where there aren't the same degree of environmental regulations and lower-paid workers. People cite Asia and Africa, but even the US is a less-regulated environment than most of Western Europe. Honestly, I don't see much of a future in European refining, and even some of the big players in the field (like Total) admit that it's in a decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

thewing wrote: »
    Oil price/Petrol price movement nothing to do with tax

When oil shoots up, so does the price at the pumps

When it drops, it stays the same. Petrol stations have been taking the p*ss for years I reckon.

There are many steps in the chain.

From well to refinery to depot to national depot to regional depot to pump.

Each stage of which all take their cut.

The actual petrol stations only make one or two cent profit per litre.
    They are not able to bring down prices by themselves to make it cheaper for you.

For prices to come down, all the steps in the chain need to lower prices, and the combination will drop prices enough for you.

Also, i wouldn't have a problem with petrol stations putting their own profit up by 2 or 3 cent a litre.
    It only takes one person to drive off without paying to robb the station owner of profit for the entire day.

Mind you, profit is a dirty word in Ireland, so i don't expect any rational replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

smash wrote: »
    petrol 1.59 in my local in waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

CruelCoin wrote: »
    There are many steps in the chain.

From well to refinery to depot to national depot to regional depot to pump.

Each stage of which all take their cut.

The actual petrol stations only make one or two cent profit per litre.
    They are not able to bring down prices by themselves to make it cheaper for you.

For prices to come down, all the steps in the chain need to lower prices, and the combination will drop prices enough for you.

Also, i wouldn't have a problem with petrol stations putting their own profit up by 2 or 3 cent a litre.
    It only takes one person to drive off without paying to robb the station owner of profit for the entire day.

Mind you, profit is a dirty word in Ireland, so i don't expect any rational replies.

Which is well-poisoning. Have you any proof on the 2 or 3 cents per litre, that's ridiculous margin. Whats the whole sale cost to the retailer, right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Diesel bought at €1.489 just off the quays yesterday (not the "underfilling" station). This was the first time ive seen it below 1.50/litre in ages

Its funny, I have a topaz fuelcard but I never use it because the prices at some (branded) stations are cheaper even than the card price (1.515 this week)

Topaz near me (north of Ashbourne) has diesel at €1.499..

Which is well-poisoning. Have you any proof on the 2 or 3 cents per litre, that's ridiculous margin. Whats the whole sale cost to the retailer, right now?

I used to work at a filling station years ago, one of the lads that was there with me at the time went on to run his own. So from a very reliable source, the margin on the forecourt is 1.5-2 cents per litre. You will see variances between stations.

For example, I know one Topaz on my way home from work is a full 10 cent per litre more expensive than the Topaz I mentioned in my previous post.

My assumption would be that the more expensive station is taking 10c per litre profit, and the one out my way is selling at cost.. Just an assumption though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Oil had rebounded today and gone up $2 a barrel today. The Euro has also rebounded by about one cent against the dollar.

So expect to see the price to raise at the pump by tomorrow :D

I'd take the argument about about delay in prices reducing seriously if it were not of the scalpers raising fuel almost immediately on the price of Brent Oil on the stock exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

how come diesel used to be half the price of petrol, why is it more expensive to refine now than it was 10yrs ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

These petrol prices are too damn high! :mad: TOO DAMN HIGH!
    too-damn-high.jpg&w=420&h=316&ei=T5XPT_V4zJaFB5r1yJoM&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=193&sig=112827352893474348198&page=1&tbnh=145&tbnw=177&start=0&ndsp=9&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:77&tx=92&ty=52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

plys wrote: »
    I used to work at a filling station years ago, one of the lads that was there with me at the time went on to run his own. So from a very reliable source, the margin on the forecourt is 1.5-2 cents per litre. You will see variances between stations.

For example, I know one Topaz on my way home from work is a full 10 cent per litre more expensive than the Topaz I mentioned in my previous post.

My assumption would be that the more expensive station is taking 10c per litre profit, and the one out my way is selling at cost.. Just an assumption though..

Wow, so I suppose they make the money on the fact that people shop as well.
    Now that I think about it I can really think of any petrol station without a shop attached.

Wow, so I suppose they make the money on the fact that people shop as well.
    Now that I think about it I can really think of any petrol station without a shop attached.

Exactly. That said, most of the other stuff on sale at a filling station is way overpriced, so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

A very annoying thing I've noticed is that the price of petrol at the Applegreen M4 Stations have dropped their unleaded prices by exactly 1c every day for the past week or so. Why 1c a day and not 5c in one go?

I'm welcoming the decrease, but it seems they are very reluctantly dropping them to keep their margins artificially inflated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

A very annoying thing I've noticed is that the price of petrol at the Applegreen M4 Stations have dropped their unleaded prices by exactly 1c every day for the past week or so. Why 1c a day and not 5c in one go?

I'm welcoming the decrease, but it seems they are very reluctantly dropping them to keep their margins artificially inflated.

The prices change twice a week in the oil market, so realistically the most changes you should see are two in a wek, from midnight wednesday and midnight friday, but of course it depends on when the station purchased their fuel. The Applegreen sites tend to get 4 fills a week on the motorway as they are busy sites, so you should definintely see two changes per week, as long as there is a change at all.

There hasn't been any change that would justify 5c in one go recently, the largest price drop in the markets is 1.77c per litre on diesel and 1.66cpl on petrol last wednesday. The price is set to go down by 0.6cpl tonight, but many stations won't pass that on, as the price is set to remain static from midnight on friday and it does give them a chance to make 0.5cpl extra for the next week potentially. Of course, some will drop a full cent as they reduced pump prices by 2c last wednesday and there was a further 0.5cpl on petrol down last friday. So even if they passed on the 0.6cpl tonight their overall margin would effectively be down by 0.13cpl(3cpl passed on, with only 2.87cpl the actual total change for the period.)

Just get a fuelcard, i pay 142.8cpl for my diesel at the moment, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

€158.9 in munnelly's garage carlow

Maxol on O'Brien road in Carlow is even cheaper
    Petrol: 155.9c
    Diesel: 145.9c
    Updated on 12th Jun @ http://pumps.ie/viewStation.php?stationID=239

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

The 2-3 cents per litre were pull from a recent National Geographic article, who are well known for accurate reporting/publishing.

Were the Petrol station owner to cut prices by 10 % to make you happy he would go bust.

As i said in my previous post, the only way prices will come down is if all the 7 intermediaries each took a small cut to total to a large cut at the pump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

To answer the thread title.........................

This is Ireland,where wages come down and everything like food,gas,oil and petrol prices go up.

Only wages come down these days.

Well done Enda Kenny,well done indeeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

If anything the petrol prices are going to keep going up! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

paddy147 wrote: »
    To answer the thread title.........................

This is Ireland,where wages come down and everything like food,gas,oil and petrol prices go up.

Only wages come down these days.

Well done Enda Kenny,well done indeeed.

Yeah, it's the best way to keep a recession going. Drop people's spending power. It will just put other Irish business out of business as people will buy less and encourage online shopping making even more money walk out of the country. The Government are actively encouraging us to shop around on the news each week and so we are. The best deals are outside the country and people are doing what they must to survive.

Advertisement