Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of petrol megathread

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

saiint wrote: »
    even though its basicly the goverment paying for the petrol and doesnt come out of the gardas pocket
    Thy have topaz cards. The tax payer pays!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

iDonate wrote: »
    Petrol and diesel prices got very close at one point, but there appears to be a marked difference now. Do petrol and diesel prices not go up and down at the same rate.?

Haven't really noticed. I drive a diesel so I focus mainly on that price. I know the petrol prices are going up and down over the course of a day too, but I have not noticed by how much.

The idea of a range of prices over a day is just alien to me. In Ireland I was used to working in Esso where the price would be set based on the cost of the batch being sold, as a fixed profit had to be made, and the price would not change up or down until the next batch was being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Oil prices in the summer months always fall back due to lack of demand compared with winter months.
    They will bounce back again when winter demand forces the price to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Prices around here have crept back up after dropping for a couple of days last week :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

iDonate wrote: »
    Petrol and diesel prices got very close at one point, but there appears to be a marked difference now. Do petrol and diesel prices not go up and down at the same rate.?

Diesel gets more expensive in the winter. Something to do with home heating oil or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Charity2020

phasers wrote: »
    Prices around here have crept back up after dropping for a couple of days last week :rolleyes:
    one step down and two steps up..... same old story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

saiint wrote: »
    even though its basicly the goverment paying for the petrol and doesnt come out of the gardas pocket

Well yeah, you'd hardly expect the Gardai to start filling the squad cars with their own money in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

For example a month ago I drove past three garages in the morning all of whom were charging 1.56 for diesel. Driving past the same garages that evening the prices were 1.38.

In the morning most people have to be somewhere at a set time. If they are running out of fuel they don't have the option of leaving it or shopping around due to time restrictions so you can charge what you want for those select few.

In the evening they can choose to go out of their way to save 20 cents, so you price accordingly.

What I have gleaned from this is that German Garage owners are pricks.

smash wrote: »
    my local Topaz has a standard rip off fee of around 5c above all other stations. I reckon it's because that's where the Garda fill their cars.

You don't pay the price at the pump you pay the fuel card price which will probably be equivalent or lower than the cheapest Topaz price in the country.

For instance I have one myself and filled up a week or two ago in a Topaz that was priced at 167.9 but I will only pay 157.9 as that was the price on the card (I pay off the card by direct debit once a month). The card price and price in the station can often be a lot closer like I filled up yesterday and its 1.55.28 and the station price was 155.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Keep her in the green ;) and off the main road between 9 - 5 and you cant go wrong !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Charity2020

Do the Garda cars use Topaz for all their petrol.?

I expect prices to bottom out in the middle of August, with the exception of profiteers who start jacking up the price earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I expect prices to bottom out in the middle of August, with the exception of profiteers who start jacking up the price earlier.

Then you're wrong, unfortunately. There is a 2.11c per litre increase in scheduled prices for petrol as of midnight tonight, and a 1.69cpl increase in diesel.

The next price change, which is a midnight on friday, is currently predicted to be 1.92cpl up for petrol and 1.54cpl increase on diesel. These prices will drip to the pumps over the next 7-10 days.

The buy scores on the market in Rotterdam are currently 4/6 for gasoline and 5/6 for kero/diesel, indicating that they expect the price to rise further in the near future.

If the market continues in it's current vein, there could be an additional 3-3.5cpl in increases next week too. putting us back to the price levels we had at the start of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

So do these Fuel cards actually get you a discount or not?

I use a TOP garage near me, currenlty 145.9 for desiel cheapest i can find.

preddy wrote: »

Fuel cards aren't actually meant as "discount" cards, they are for businesses to manage their finances more effectively, cutting down on accounting costs, dead mileage, no interest on the credit given etc.

That said I'm paying 142.9cpl for Diesel on mine at the moment, though some companies/people will doubtless be paying more.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

summerskin wrote: »
    Fuel cards aren't actually meant as "discount" cards, they are for businesses to manage their finances more effectively, cutting down on accounting costs, dead mileage, no interest on the credit given etc.

That said I'm paying 142.9cpl for Diesel on mine at the moment, though some companies/people will doubtless be paying more.

Cool i get that but surely they want you to get a card so you are more likely to stick to their Garagesbrand.
    Do you get a discount cos of ur business?
    I do like 500 Miles a week.

I find the price for petrol is 95% of the time at least equal to the cheapest petrol you will find in any station and except for once ever cheaper or equal to any Topaz pump price. I certainly look on it as a discount card as it usually does result in at least a small discount. Its just a personal card I have btw. It also give you a months free credit as you only pay for petrol the following month.

It saves all the trouble of driving around looking for cheaper petrol, just pull into any Topaz and you pay the price on your card.

My prices this week are 155.28 for petrol and 146.73 for diesel. The diesel price is often a little higher than the cheapest diesel you will see around but I don't really follow too closely as I just buy petrol.

You also get a text on a friday with the following weeks prices so if its going up you can top up the car or if its going down hold off until Saturday.

Cool i get that but surely they want you to get a card so you are more likely to stick to their Garagesbrand.
    Do you get a discount cos of ur business?
    I do like 500 Miles a week.

mine isn't a Topaz card, it's one that works across Topaz, Top, Great Gas, Esso, Emo, Amber, Texaco, pretty much all of them except Maxol. I get a price sent to me twice a week by text, though I do get a good rate from them as I do business with the company in other areas too. There's lots of providers out there, just shop around for the best one to suit you. If the price I get given is higher than the pump price i just pay the pump price at the till instead of using my card.

Advertisement