Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of petrol megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

44leto wrote: »
    I watch the CBS news most nights at 12.30 on Sky and you would want to hear them wailing over the price of ""GAS"", some even can't sell their "Gas" guzzling SUVs and have to opt for smaller cars. Ahhh I do want to give the poor folk a hug.
    Everything is relative. If I live somewhere were I pay 2 euro a litre, can I say to you to stop complaining about the price of petrol here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

gerbear1 wrote: »
    Everything is relative. If I live somewhere were I pay 2 euro a litre, can I say to you to stop complaining about the price of petrol here?

Sure you can, if you on average earn the same income and pay the same taxes.

But I assume you are from Britain, so yes I hereby give you the right to moan like fukc.

Enjoy. But you have to admit .70 cent a liter in comparison to 1.60 or 2 euro is a vast difference.

I generally don't moan about the price of "gas" as my new car is amazingly economically and I prefer to cycle, I actually hate driving, so I don't fill up that much.

But I assume you are from Britain
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cowzerp wrote: »
    How they can justify taxing the petrol like that and then still charge for car tax and toll charges too is beyond me-Motorists really are been screwed.
    Agreed, but we both know the government would just squeeze it out of us another way. The thing they don't seem to realise is that when they push up the prices, they get money from us who drive, but it costs those who don't through fuel bills for public transport, transport of goods, etc.

=-=

One of the main costs is insurance for the oil tankers. Insurance from being held captive, from being robbed, from being hit by some looney mofo, etc, etc. And not forgetting that insurance will go up when some nutters threaten to attach the tankers.

?

And??
    In Britain the price of petrol is from 1.50 to 1.60 a liter which is nearly 2 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's all done for about 30 cent a litre at the retail pumps. 80% of the final purchase price is Government greed.

And??
    In Britain the price of petrol is from 1.50 to 1.60 a liter which is nearly 2 euro.
    I didn't know that. I'm not from Britain. I was just coming up with an example off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Our natural end price should be about €1.10 Today crude prices have fallen slightly.

gbee wrote: »
    It's all done for about 30 cent a litre at the retail pumps. 80% of the final purchase price is Government greed.

Or you could interpret this as, Government need, we do enjoy relatively good public services (except ironically transport) so if they were not getting the income with fuel they would have to get it elsewhere.

I would rather this, at least I have a measure of control over it. I don't have to drive there are other options, which I use, I cycle when I can, I prefer to.

But if they were to abolish fuel tax in exchange for a higher income tax, I would be livid. But I would still cycle.

I didn't know that. I'm not from Britain. I was just coming up with an example off the top of my head.

And I didn't know I was being trolled:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Petrol and diesel is still pretty good value for money imo.

But were the consumer really suffers with increased fuel costs is inflation. Fuel has a direct cost link to everything. It is the high volume users like farms, transport costs, shipping, high industrial electricity users.

So when fuel goes up it even effects the people who don't drive. As this surge in the present fuel prices increase just watch your weekly shopping prices soar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

What I loved about living in London, was how there was absolutely no need to have a car. Public Transport was fantastic. Tube breaks down, take another line, or there are 10 busses outside to continue your journey etc. In Dublin last Monday, my once every half hour bus broke down at my bus stop. I asked the driver, what was going to be done (As in, is there another bus on the way as a contingency), and he just shrugged. Walked back to my house, and jumped in the car.

Under these circumstances, I think its extortion charging so much tax and duty on petrol. If there was efficient alternatives, then ok, tax us off the roads. IMO, its just too big a cash cow for the government to ever truly deal with the issue. We'll just get more BS about the green issues of using fossil fuel, off the back of which more tax etc will be levied on motorists. Meanwhile, the OTHER side of solving the green issue, i.e. a good alternative, will be just left alone.

JimiTime wrote: »
    What I loved about living in London, was how there was absolutely no need to have a car. Public Transport was fantastic. Tube breaks down, take another line, or there are 10 busses outside to continue your journey etc. In Dublin last Monday, my once every half hour bus broke down at my bus stop. I asked the driver, what was going to be done (As in, is there another bus on the way as a contingency), and he just shrugged. Walked back to my house, and jumped in the car.

Under these circumstances, I think its extortion charging so much tax and duty on petrol. If there was efficient alternatives, then ok, tax us off the roads. IMO, its just too big a cash cow for the government to ever truly deal with the issue. We'll just get more BS about the green issues of using fossil fuel, off the back of which more tax etc will be levied on motorists. Meanwhile, the OTHER side of solving the green issue, i.e. a good alternative, will be just left alone.

Yeah I lived in London too and it is actually more convenient not to have a car. I love that tube system.

I would like to see dublin with more Luas Lines and Darts. But perhaps Dublin is not densely populated enough, to make more of those services profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Oil giant BP is back in the black, announcing profits of $5.3 billion just a year after the Deepwater Horizon disaster left it facing heavy losses.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/BUSINESS/07/26/bp.profits.dudley/index.html

Shell makes nearly £1.6m profits every hour

• Full-year profits hit $18.6bn

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/03/shell-profits-nearly-one-point-six-million-an-hour

(oh and the oil companies will always say expensive fuel prices dont drive up their profits, funny how they are always much higher when the prices are higher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Yeah I lived in London too and it is actually more convenient not to have a car. I love that tube system.

A line I've used a lot. I often thought why so many people actually had cars there.
    I would like to see dublin with more Luas Lines and Darts. But perhaps Dublin is not densely populated enough, to make more of those services profitable.

Thats just it, if the decision is taken that its not feasible, then motorists should not be getting hammered with taxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

Go into any garage and you'll find a litre of Ballygowen is dearer than a litre of Petrol. The OP has a point but Fuel is produced on a mass scale and once the system to produce it is in place it becomes cheap to produce.

yeah thats true once the systems are in place its cheaper , but it boggles the mind that water ...that literally falls from the sky can be more expensive than oil , that is buried by tonnes of rock and miles of ocean :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Nobody has mentioned the speculators

Oil speculators: Lads sitting behind a computer pretending to buy lots of oil and pretending to sell it later on while making a load of money in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The price is high because it's always a sellers market. Petrol/Diesel is about as essential as water in modern countries.

And then there's the high taxes. And the politics. And oil companies using any conflict anywhere in the world as an excuse to say "We need to increase prices due to the effects of this conflict".

Oh and of course, one of the biggest reasons...the consumer. Petrol is cheaper in the US mainly because they know American citizens would go ape **** if they tried charging them the same price as us europeans. We just accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

stevenf17 wrote: »

FYI petrol in the US costs about €0.72c a litre at the moment!

Is it really ?? when I was in the US last March it cost $1.46 a gallon !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

solerina wrote: »

1 US gallon is around 3.7 litres.

Sure, around 4 years ago we were paying .89c a litre here. That is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

facemelter wrote: »
    pumped into your car for about 1.57 a litre , sure a can of coke can be more expensive than that , I think the reason people talk about it so much it because the amounts we use it in are so vast . any thoughts ?

Can of coke €1.00
    Litre of petrol
    , (today in Texaco and Topaz on the Howth Road)€1,61.9

So please tell me where you buy you cans of coke and where you buy your petrol we could save each other a few quid.

When you buy a 1.50 bottle of water you don't so much pay for the water, the bottle probably costs more. What costs more again is the shop its in, the fridge and the people working in that shop

You pay for the privilege of being able quench your thirst in a place where there is no free public water supply available (cause you know those kill the bottled water industry).

Bottled water is a massive scam but because its so easy to avoid - just bring your own water - that there is no real need to do anything about it. also it creates jobs. I'm weary of things that create jobs because life has to be made more awkward for everyone else to create those jobs. It wouldn't cost much to put a public tap on every street but it wouldn't create jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

162.9 i seen today. Getting scary.

Be careful of the next budget. We will be getting charged for not using enough petrol then.

woodoo wrote: »
    162.9 i seen today. Getting scary.

Be careful of the next budget. We will be getting charged for not using enough petrol then.

I seen 164.9

If you can't show you bought at least 100l of petrol in a year you'll have to pay (60% of whatever 100l will cost then). There will have to be a a load of enforcement officers hired to make sure you're not just filling someone elses car or filling a petrol can to give to someone else. These enforcement officers will have to be paid by some (multiple of 100e) charge that every household will have to pay.

I'm genuinely looking forward to the next budget to see what scam they'll come up with for a guarranteed few 100e per year from every household.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Hopefully electric cars will become more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

solerina wrote: »

Today Average = $3.65 a gallon
    http://gasbuddy.com/

$3.65 = €2.72(give or take a few cent)
    1 US gallon = 3.785 litres
    €2.72/3.785 = €0.72c

Hopefully electric cars will become more popular.

Electric car battery tax.

Special meter for cars with electricity that costs 3-10x as much made mandatory

Encrypted charge controller so electric cars will only accept current from such a meter. Hackable, but you'll have to undo your hack for the NCT and your electric car will be eDipped.

125e per year tax -> 1250e per year tax

The government will encourage people to do one thing only to tax the hell out of the said activity later. Phuk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

facemelter wrote: »
    if you consider all the work that has to go into getting from beneath 100's of metres of ocean , under tonnes of rock , processed , cleaned , refined , and pumped into your car for about 1.57 a litre , sure a can of coke can be more expensive than that
    Yes but if you consider how much money I have, it's expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭highfive

Was talking from a friend from Venezuela over the weekend and she said that it costs $.50 to fill up her chevrolet spark. She spends $5 a month on petrol! ;) There's something gone wrong somewhere!!

Advertisement