Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of petrol megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just to make matters more interesting: this summer we're expecting El Niño conditions in the Pacific, which means that Atlantic hurricanes are much more likely. These are the ones that hit the USA and disrupt offshore oil production as e.g. Ike did. The last two years have seen La Niña conditions, and it's been relatively quiet (but still high). I do not expect the Summer to bring lower prices ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Petrol and diesel is still pretty good value for money imo.

not when your spending 500 + a WEEK on diesel
    6000 grand a year , plus 680 tax , 500 insurance , spent 1400 last year on tyres and parts

so best part of ten grand to run my car just so i can earn a living

diesel is far from cheap - gets any more expensive and im out of business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

dj jarvis wrote: »
    diesel is far from cheap - gets any more expensive and im out of business

I've gone on the social welfare part time, because of fixed price jobs and a lack of them that can be strung together, it can cost me as much as I get to just drive there and back for one single assignment.

In seven year my rates have not changed [if anything they have contracted] but fuel has increased many times over, whilst other costs have more or less stayed the same, tyres, servicing, parts [if anything they've got relatively cheaper].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

44leto wrote: »
    JimiTime wrote: »
    What I loved about living in London, was how there was absolutely no need to have a car. Public Transport was fantastic. Tube breaks down, take another line, or there are 10 busses outside to continue your journey etc. In Dublin last Monday, my once every half hour bus broke down at my bus stop. I asked the driver, what was going to be done (As in, is there another bus on the way as a contingency), and he just shrugged. Walked back to my house, and jumped in the car.

Under these circumstances, I think its extortion charging so much tax and duty on petrol. If there was efficient alternatives, then ok, tax us off the roads. IMO, its just too big a cash cow for the government to ever truly deal with the issue. We'll just get more BS about the green issues of using fossil fuel, off the back of which more tax etc will be levied on motorists. Meanwhile, the OTHER side of solving the green issue, i.e. a good alternative, will be just left alone.

Yeah I lived in London too and it is actually more convenient not to have a car. I love that tube system.

I would like to see dublin with more Luas Lines and Darts. But perhaps Dublin is not densely populated enough, to make more of those services profitable.

Try living in one of the Irish cities without Luas & Dart!

There are - in my view - 4 problems
    1) Because oil is finite, the companies want to maximise their profit / cut before it runs out, INCLUDING using their wealth to stymie alternative fuels and more efficient cars.....I remember a petrol Daihatsu Charade being touted in 1982 as having 72mpg or something.....why has it taken another 30 years to make "efficient" engines ?
    2) The government take is criminal as it is largely a percentage
    3) Some people choose to have the mazzive gas guzzlers and use more than their "share"......I object (as always) to the lack of the word "some" in a similar point made above
    4) Feck-all decent public transport and ****e roads and weather make alternatives impossible in this country, not to mention the lack of "joined up" options and the price of what little we do have. Limerick to Dublin by train is still dearer than using the car, and that's not even taking into account the timing and logistics issues that arise having landed at Heustion if you need to get anywhere that isn't on Luas.....and that, as pointed out above, is in the "good" city

Petrol and Diesel are still relatively cheap for what you get from it, that point should never be forgotten, because there will be a time in the not too distant future when liquid fossil fuel will be quite scarce and only the wealthy will be able to fill up their cars to take the kids to football/drama or whatever classes.

The current costs of fuel is stifling economic growth, but the dilemma is that if fuel was cheaper, we would hit the production limits and end up with shortages.

Fuel is currently rationed, by price, it is likely to remain that way for the foreseeable future. More and more people are going to be forced to give-up long drives to work and either take (if they can find) local jobs or to move nearer to work (If they can afford to move).

Peak oil is a bitch and the affects are starting to be more noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Big Steve wrote: »
    Can of coke €1.00
    Litre of petrol
    , (today in Texaco and Topaz on the Howth Road)€1,61.9

So please tell me where you buy you cans of coke and where you buy your petrol we could save each other a few quid.

Can of coke - €1 / 330ml
    = €3.030 per litre.

Petrol - 1L / €1.619
    = €1.619 per litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Sykk wrote: »
    Sure if you think of the aerodynamics of an aeroplane, sure it costs millions to build it, it's extreme engineering ingenuity. I needs radar.

That's why a new Dreamliner will set you back $200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Price of petrol in 2008 was in or around €1.20-€1.30 a litre right? Crude oil was trading at $140 a barrel at that time.

As of now crude oil is trading in or around $110 a barrel yet petrol is 40 cent more than it was in 2008.

I just can't understand this.

sdeire wrote: »
    Can of coke - €1 / 330ml
    = €3.030 per litre.

Petrol - 1L / €1.619
    = €1.619 per litre.
    Scary! We really don't know just how well off we are, when we can one litre of fuel that can get a car to move about 10-15km at a speed of 100kmh for less than the price of a bottle of coke!

Just do the sums on the energy content of a litre of petrol verses a litre of coke, you're eyes will pop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Price of petrol in 2008 was in or around €1.20-€1.30 a litre right? Crude oil was trading at $140 a barrel at that time.

As of now crude oil is trading in or around $110 a barrel yet petrol is 40 cent more than it was in 2008.

How much did those Green Party crazies add to the cost with their carbon taxes?.

• Advertisement

Time and time again, it's the Government, as the prices dropped early last year, Brian put it right back up and said something like "we're used to paying this now!"

The Euro - Dollar exchange rate is much worse now, plus of course a whole rake of tax increases!
    The Euro price of oil is currently near an all time high, it was at an all time high over the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How much did those Green Party crazies add to the cost with their carbon taxes?.

And thanks to them there's an increase on that tax on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

facemelter wrote: »
    pumped into your car for about 1.57 a litre

161.9 at my local garage today but I've seen 167.9 on the airport road last week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Just do the sums on the energy content of a litre of petrol verses a litre of coke, you're eyes will pop!

Vodka and petrol just doesn't taste the same though. Might be nicer with Cappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

sdeire wrote: »
    Can of coke - €1 / 330ml
    = €3.030 per litre.

Petrol - 1L / €1.619
    = €1.619 per litre.

The Coke would be more expensive buying 3 X 330ml cans to make up a litre rather than buying a 1L bottle of coke or even cheaper buying a 2L and halving the cost

[QUOTE=bluestripe93;77323390 cheaper buying a 2L and halving the cost[/QUOTE]

And occasionally, the 3x2L pack is even cheaper than the 2L pack ~ go figure, but now, we're sucking diesel ! metaphor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Petrol this morning... 163.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

smash wrote: »
    Petrol this morning... 163.9

Holy Moly

Just finished reading an article in the Sunday times magazine. Believe it or not Africa economically has start to take off. The economy last year with the highest growth rate in the world was Ghana with 13%. They are calling these economies the Lions of Africa Nigeria, South Africa, Ethiopia:eek:, Angola also the periphery nations around these countries are also starting to grow.

This is a good thing for human rights and development, but it will put more pressure on oil prices in the very near future. The days of cheap oil has come to an end, but I can the the days of affordable oil also coming to an end for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Believe it or not Africa economically has start to take off.
    Send them over some boxes with photos of little Irish kids on them!

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Send them over some boxes with photos of little Irish kids on them!
    LOL:D:D

I spewed my tea

Yeah do a Live Aid concert for us.

Holy Moly

Just finished reading an article in the Sunday times magazine. Believe it or not Africa economically has start to take off. The economy last year with the highest growth rate in the world was Ghana with 13%. They are calling these economies the Lions of Africa Nigeria, South Africa, Ethiopia:eek:, Angola also the periphery nations around these countries are also starting to grow.

This is a good thing for human rights and development, but it will put more pressure on oil prices in the very near future. The days of cheap oil has come to an end, but I can the the days of affordable oil also coming to an end for a lot of people.
    Big difference, it that Africans use their oil to run machinery that can have a dramatic impact on their lives, one litre of fuel is worth a lot more to them than it is to us and they will eventually outbid us for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

the_syco wrote: »
    One of the main costs is insurance for the oil tankers. Insurance from being held captive, from being robbed, from being hit by some looney mofo, etc, etc. And not forgetting that insurance will go up when some nutters threaten to attach the tankers.

That isn't really true though, the Main cost for shipping oil is the fuel for the oil tanker, a decent size tanker burns 80mts of fuel a day, at fuel is about 750 usd/mt, 60000usd a day, in comparison insurance for a vessel to go through a high risk area is about 50k for 7 days.

The Main reason Petrol/diesel is so high is Tax, the Margins on Forecourt fuel is tiny, hence all the shops in the garages to make money.

the Main reason the cost of crude is so high is Oil futures speculation, 40% of the quoted price is made up of futures, that is why when Iran or Opec say something about supply then the Futures traders speculate and cause a price change.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its all tax tax tax. cut our social spending and we wont need to be bringing in billions extra in tax each year.

sadly then, even if we do that, we will need to pay back our debts, so looks like its staying as it is.

Big difference, it that Africans use their oil to run machinery that can have a dramatic impact on their lives, one litre of fuel is worth a lot more to them than it is to us and they will eventually outbid us for it.

Also the region is a huge exporter of oil, so their growing economies will
    demand more of their own produce leaving less oil for sale on the world markets pushing up the price.

Europe will have to start taking alternatives seriously wind power is not an alternative, it just doesn't supply the wattage. We really are living in extraordinary times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

so if petrol gets too expensive will the government have to make our roads look like scalextric race tracks for all the electric cars to run on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

highfive wrote: »
    Was talking from a friend from Venezuela over the weekend and she said that it costs $.50 to fill up her chevrolet spark. She spends $5 a month on petrol! ;) There's something gone wrong somewhere!!

but what's the minimum wage over there compared to what it is here?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

facemelter wrote: »
    but what's the minimum wage over there compared to what it is there?:pac:

ah they have plenty of coke to top up the wallet ;)

Originally Posted by highfive viewpost.gif
    Was talking from a friend from Venezuela over the weekend and she said that it costs $.50 to fill up her chevrolet spark. She spends $5 a month on petrol! wink.gif There's something gone wrong somewhere!!

Venezuela an oil rich country and the home of the beloved crackpot Hugo Rafael Chávez. Yeah I envy them (not).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A few years ago a Polish guy who worked with me told me that back home everyone just put enough fuel in their cars to get from A to B and back again,they used the bare amount to get around.He couldn't understand us Irish filling our tanks or just going for a drive.Any car journeys had a purpose,if you didn't need to drive you left the car at home.
    Now we see the same happening here,go to any forecourt and the majority of people put just enough to get around in their cars.The government have noticed a fall in the tax take from fuel but don't see the woods for the trees,cut prices and people will buy more fuel.It's like the pub trade,nobody goes to pubs so the solution is raise prices to make up the shortfall.

My local filling station is a prime example of greed,all it takes is for someone to so much as fart on an oil rig and the bollix ups his prices.

Here's the tax table for Europe:eek:
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/27/article-0-11F3589D000005DC-657_634x663.jpg

Advertisement