Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of petrol megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Outside of Euroland, petrol is not taxed that heavily hence its cheaper in almost every country on the globe. Its the tax take thats killing us.

Seen 164.9 today, gone up 2 cents in last 24hours at one of the main stations on the N2 in Glasnevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

smash wrote: »
    Petrol this morning... 163.9

Not that bad tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Not that bad tbh

Sarcasm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Sarcasm?

Not at all. We are running out of oil, it won't happen in our lifetime but more than likely will in our kids or grandkids lifetimes. If making the price of fuel forces people into thinking green then so be it.

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Not at all. We are running out of oil, it won't happen in our lifetime but more than likely will in our kids or grandkids lifetimes. If making the price of fuel forces people into thinking green then so be it.
    Running out isn't the real problem, it's the fact that our entire lives revolve around there being a cheap and plentiful supply of it.

Things will soon get very !interesting!".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Running out isn't the real problem, it's the fact that our entire lives revolve around there being a cheap and plentiful supply of it.

Things will soon get very !interesting!".

they found more oil off the coast of cork. but once again our fail government will likely give it away for feck all.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/providence-shares-soar-on-news-of-oil-find-off-south-coast-3032878.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

How much does it cost to fill up a Range Rover in Saudi Arabia you asked ??
    that's right - €4

cheaper than water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    that's right - €4

cheaper than water.

Yeah but how much does it cost to fill a range rover with water in Saudi Arabia.

They always have full petrol tanks but filthy windscreens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

44leto wrote: »
    Yeah but how much does it cost to fill a range rover with water in Saudi Arabia.

they should send over the squeegy kids there. igve them a bucket of water and a windows cleaner and let them at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

F**K it, I'd just fill up the wipers with petrol as well then, with little flamethrowers beside the holes that shoot the water onto your windscreen.

I'd be literally blasting my windscreen.....with flames

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Well things are so bad up my way that a local garage actully refused to sell me less than 10 euros worth of petrol. I only had a 5er and needed it ASAP. It's gone bizarre out there, the greed is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    that's right - €4

cheaper than water.

And for the same reason a bottle of beer in Germany is a third the price of a Coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Conor Faughnan from the AA was on the radio last week(sorry no link) saying that its more economical to buy petrol by the litre than by the euro.

In other words don't buy E20 worth... buy X amount of litres.

Can't figure that one out myself:confused:

Conor Faughnan from the AA was on the radio last week(sorry no link) saying that its more economical to buy petrol by the litre than by the euro.

In other words don't buy E20 worth... buy X amount of litres.

I also read it is better to fill your car when it is cold out, I can't imagine you save much, but that was the advice. But some good advice from the article empty your car of the junk thats in it, my car is like my second shed the amount of shyte in it. But soon we will be removing seats, dashboards, mirrors roofs and windscreens just to get to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

TBH, that Conor guy is a nice fella, he means well, so I won't be hard on him, but he comes out with statements that are often quite bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Karen23 wrote: »
    161.9 at my local garage today but I've seen 167.9 on the airport road last week :eek:

That garage selling for 161.9 yesterday is selling for 164.9 today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

This is obvious gouging by the garages. They are not buying oil on a daily basis and normally buy in advance at an agreed price.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    This is obvious gouging by the garages. They are not buying oil on a daily basis and normally buy in advance at an agreed price.

Exactly. Sure the excuse they use when prices fall is that they agree prices in advance so cant drop it right away.
    Its either gouging or theyre idiots who keep buying at the highest price

I thought I would post this as a warning to anyone who might be tempted. My inlaw owns a garage (a mechanic) and he was getting a lot of diesels in with the injectors fkuced, now you are talking big money for those repairs, past the 1000 mark and more if it is an expensive model.

What was happening was whatever chemical the crims are using to wash the red diesel is wrecking the injectors and other parts of the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

its like the slow kid with a hammer beating the cow around the head and insisting it produces more milk. Current govt is killing our economy, fuel price is just one more nail in the coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I watch the CBS news most nights at 12.30 on Sky and you would want to hear them wailing over the price of ""GAS"", some even can't sell their "Gas" guzzling SUVs and have to opt for smaller cars. Ahhh I do want to give the poor folk a hug.

They also pay for the big military to ensure their "gas" prices stay low.

....when I hear people say blood diamonds I do have to laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

€164.5 by the Topas bastards on the Malahide Road this morning.. Next door in Tescos it was €161.9.. Esso in Ballybough was €157.9 - its a no brainer, shop around.

One of the reasons petrol is so expensive!
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-28/oil-records-in-u-k-europe-spell-destruction-chart-of-the-day.html
    Oil prices breached records in euros and pounds and are approaching all-time highs in Indian rupees and Brazilian reais, raising the prospect that consumer demand will deteriorate, according to Morgan Stanley.

The CHART OF THE DAY shows the cost of a barrel of Brent crude in dollars, British pounds, euros, Indian rupees, Chinese yuan and Brazilian reais, expressed as a percentage of the previous record in those currencies. The price rose to 79.28 pounds on Feb. 23, 2 percent higher than the previous record set in April. Oil climbed to 93.71 euros yesterday, compared with a high of 93.46 euros in July 2008.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

facemelter wrote: »
    OK I've heard this a few places but this being the internet im going to spout it like its mine .. The price of petrol is it really that high ? if you consider all the work that has to go into getting from beneath 100's of metres of ocean , under tonnes of rock , processed , cleaned , refined , and pumped into your car for about 1.57 a litre , sure a can of coke can be more expensive than that , I think the reason people talk about it so much it because the amounts we use it in are so vast . any thoughts ?
    Look up EROEI for some places they use 1/3 of the oil recovered, recovering more oil , oil refineries are another hue user of fuel, but oil is cheap at the well head. Well to wheel efficiencies are going down as the easy oil is used up first.

Generic cola is far cheaper than petrol, 2L for 55c if you go to the discounters.

The main cost with cola is packaging. It would be far cheaper if you delivered it in a tanker at several thousand litres at a time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

impr0v wrote: »
    That's why a new Dreamliner will set you back $200m.
    It's supposedly 20% more fuel efficient (ie. 20% lighter through the use of flammable materials)

20% of up to 126,903 L per flight adds up.

so if petrol gets too expensive will the government have to make our roads look like scalextric race tracks for all the electric cars to run on?
    Look at how much the NRA spent during the boom, or the amount we paid for the M50 bridge, port tunnel

yes we could have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭bubbuz

A thought I had, yeah maybe sounds a bit crazy alright BUT with all the wind turbines popping up all over the country you'd think that someone would come up with a design based on them for running a car, I mean there's plenty of places to to put mini turbines ie grill, rear spoilers ( hidden behind a grill ), turbo vents etc. Will run the same as an electric car but with the benefit of only having to charge it on the very first use and then it'll just run of its own wind powered turbines and storing power in back up batteries. I know it sounds kinda crazy but I BET there's a way of making it work..... self sustainable motoring, surely we cant get taxed on wind....... hmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

bubbuz wrote: »
    I know it sounds kinda crazy but I BET there's a way of making it work..... self sustainable motoring, surely we cant get taxed on wind....... hmmmmm

Or water, that's free flowing too. Hmm. Anyway it's not necessarily making a device work, it's making it to manufacturing standards and techniques for mass production whilst at the same time complying with existing laws on allowed technologies.

gbee wrote: »
    Or water, that's free flowing too. Hmm. Anyway it's not necessarily making a device work, it's making it to manufacturing standards and techniques for mass production whilst at the same time complying with existing laws on allowed technologies.
    In the early days of the industrial revolution, much of the freight transport used just one horse power to shift tons of goods from the factories to the towns via canals.

Time is money, fuel is money as well, the cheaper the fuel the faster you can shift stuff.
    If the fuel gets more expensive than the time then things will simply move slower!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oil-tops-110-amid-saudi-pipeline-talk-2012-03-01?link=MW_latest_news

2 euro a litre a virtually certainty by summer, and sooner if Iran is attacked.

Edit: Brent crude @128 - West Texas @110 a barrel.

Advertisement