Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of petrol megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I just love these feel-good threads

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Let's all have a feckin party.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Meh, it was at just under $150 a barrel 4 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Yay, Bicycles for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Dont forget that some traders had it at 200dollars on future markets !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Burning pipelines/refineries is so 1991.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Just look at the shiny shiny and everything will be alright. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Burning pipelines/refineries is so 1991.

I hope they pay their carbon tax on that! Let's fine them!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Price of oil goes up.

Shock, Horror!

Oh noes the world is going to end!!!!!!!

Quick lets all have sex....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I planned to cycle to work in the summer, now I may start in the spring. 2 Euro a litre forken hell. Now watch everything else go up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Quick lets all have sex....

I wish... ah well, maybe when there is no oil left and everyone gets bored..:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Meh, it was at just under $150 a barrel 4 years ago.

The Euro was worth around $1.55 then but only around €1.29 today so it is much more expensive now plus add all the taxes added by the Fianna Fraudsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

so are we saying now is the time to stock up on oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Iran has already stopped exporting oil to Europe, so an attack on Iran should, theoretically, have little/no effect on the price here already. That's open to correction though by anyone more knowledgeable about the oil trade than myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Why do I even own a car. This is getting silly. And it's all because of political dicking and SOBs speculating as far as I can tell. Screw you market forces!
    I don't see the middle east stabilising any time too soon given recent maneuvers and if things escelate in the region it will only make things worse. Doing a great job so far Team America... being more or less directly responsible for the current situation in Iran not to mention for continually destabilising the entire region for decades to the detriment of the peoples of those countries and their development. Now I'm starting to rant, that's always a good sign... stopping typing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Relax folks, it's all a hoax.

Press TV reporting at it's finest . . . .

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-01/oil-rises-a-second-day-on-iran-risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Some interesting comparisons here. May not be up to date. Think it is 1999. But just compare the likes of Iran and the UK

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_gas_pri-energy-gasoline-prices

Ahh PressTv you scoundrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

jumpguy wrote: »
    Iran has already stopped exporting oil to Europe, so an attack on Iran should, theoretically, have little/no effect on the price here already. That's open to correction though by anyone more knowledgeable about the oil trade than myself.

They would still use it as an excuse. Anything to put the price up.

• Advertisement

They would still use it as an excuse. Anything to put the price up.
    The price will be going up regardless, this hoax story just proves how scared the oil markets really are about future supply stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

When oil runs out they will just use all the other resources technologies that they invented and hid away , relax theres always an intelligent fella out there to sort things out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oil-tops-110-amid-saudi-pipeline-talk-2012-03-01?link=MW_latest_news

2 euro a litre a virtually certainty by summer, and sooner if Iran is attacked.

Edit: Brent crude @128 - West Texas @110 a barrel.
    AN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) — Crude-oil futures sprinted past $110 a barrel Thursday, surging in electronic trading after a report of a pipeline blast in Saudi Arabia.

Prices picked up steam in the last hour of floor trading as traders learned of the report, by Iranian state-run English-language broadcaster Press TV and so far not matched by other news outlets.

Saudi officials have denied the report.

Earlier Thursday, investors cheered news that manufacturing in China expanded and overlooked a manufacturing slowdown in the U.S.

The fears of supply disruptions also kept the other energy commodities well-supported, with gasoline futures ending at a multimonth high.

Natural-gas futures, however, bucked the trend and ended 5.9% lower after a bearish inventories report.

Crude-oil futures for April delivery rose $1.77, or 1.7%, to end the floor trading session at $108.84 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Iran’s Press TV on its website said an explosion had destroyed oil pipelines in the city of Awamiyah in eastern Saudi Arabia. There were no images of the fire or more details.

The headline, however, were enough to fuel the late-hour rally and the jump in after hours. It “triggered buy stops” in an already charged market, said Darin Newsom, an analyst with Telvent DTN in Omaha.

Oil futures recently added 8 cents over the Thursday settlement price to trade at $108.89 a barrel.

Earlier Thursday, investors had parsed out manufacturing reports from China, the U.K., and the U.S., choosing to look at their rosier side to advance.

Prices also got support from a slightly lower dollar and modestly higher equities.

Rival Chinese manufacturing surveys released Thursday indicated mild improvement in February, though underlying data showed surging input prices and deteriorating new orders, suggesting further weakening in the nation’s economy.
    Manufacturing data from the U.K showed a decline, but largely within consensus expectations.

Closer to home, U.S. manufacturing expansion slowed in February, the first time in four months. The Institute of Supply Management said its manufacturing gauge declined to 52.4% in February from 54.1% in January. Readings above 50% indicate expansion. See more about U.S. manufacturing data.

Markets seemed to be clinging to that. Even though manufacturing data “was below par, the market is looking at it somewhat positively,” said Matt Smith, an analyst with Summit Energy in Kentucky.

Oil ended higher Wednesday, having spent most of the session seesawing between small gains and losses.

Investors were disappointed U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke provided no hint about an additional bond purchasing program. Read more about Bernanke’s testimony.

A higher-than-expected increase in U.S. inventories also added some pressure to oil prices on Wednesday.

Among other energy products, April futures for gasoline RBJ2 -0.66% gained 9 cents, or 2.9%, to finish at $3.35 a gallon.

That was gasoline’s largest one-day percentage gain since early January, and its best settlement since May 10.

The April contract for heating oil rose 7 cents, or 2.2%, to $3.27 a gallon.

Natural-gas futures added to losses after a weekly U.S. government inventories report showed a smaller-than-expected decline in inventories.

Natural gas for April delivery declined 15 cents, or 5.9%, to settle at $2.46 per million British thermal units. That was natural gas’s largest one-day percentage decline since late January.

It had traded at $2.63 per Btu moments before the data.

The Energy Information Administration reported a decline in natural-gas supplies by 82 billion cubic feet in the week ended Feb. 24. Analysts polled by Platts had expected a decrease between 90 bcf and 94 bcf for the week.

For those on mobiles seeing as the OP didn't post it. :)

cloptrop wrote: »
    When oil runs out they will just use all the other resources technologies that they invented and hid away , relax theres always an intelligent fella out there to sort things out.
    What other energy resources? Can I have some of your happy pills! :pac:
    When demand exceeds supply, price rationing is what we'll have, even King Cnut couldn't turn back the tide!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When demand exceeds supply, price rationing is what we'll have, even King Cnut couldn't turn back the tide!

Rotary washing line jammed through the roof of your car, a load of sheets, and a donkey as a reserve energy supply.

Provided the oil companies haven't murdered him beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Im sure they can regenerate the energy you expend nowadays , a windup torch is possible for 4 euro . Car wheels have a big windy stick that join them , add a few brainy people nd they will make something that works .Solar power , wind energy , farts. There was rumours a while ago they invented a battery that didnt need to be recharged but the oil companies bought the copyright.
    Chill out they survived without oil right up until it was discovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

When oil runs out they will just use all the other resources technologies that they invented and hid away ,
    Like Fracking the countryside. :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

$1.32AU per litre for unleaded here where i'm working in Oz. And the locals are complaining about that !

They earn far more, vehicles have a far lower fixed annual cost then at home too !

It's an eye opener out here in Oz to realise how much we are truly being ripped off at home.

Sad to say but it's hard to see myself wanting to ever move back.

Advertisement