Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of petrol megathread

Options

Comments

gbee wrote: »
    There is always the horse. They have not gone away and there is no reason to believe they could not come back in numbers to 'power' our world like they did for thousands of years ~ if you can grow it's food, you're laughing.
    In the "old days", horses were only used by the rich or well off tradesmen (like vans today), every one else walked and poorer tradesmen used handcarts.

There are more horses today than there were then, farmers used oxen to work the land.

Electric bicycles or scooters are most likely to become the principle form private transport for the majority of people travelling alone, you'll only use the car for essential family journeys or if you're well off.

gbee wrote: »
    There is no need whatsoever to worry about energy, we have more energy available that will still be there, even after the planet is gone.

I'm with Clarkson on this, fill up, use it up and have fun, when it's gone we'll use something else. smile.gif

You're correct about there being plenty of energy out there, problem is being able to convert it into a form that will power your car.

There is an estimated 13 trillion barrels of oil in the crust of the earth.

We've taken out about 1.5 Trillion barrels so far. :)
    There is about 1.5 trillion that we can get at left, most of that is difficult and expensive to get out and at our current rate of extraction, in less than 40 years it'll all be gone.
    The remaining 10 trillion or so barrels will be impossible to extract without using more energy to extract than the energy obtained!

Meanwhile the number of oil consumers has doubled in the last decade and will almost certainly double within the next 20 years, meaning that the decline will be much faster! :eek:

So far NOTHING has been found that can successfully replace oil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

166.9 in Topaz, nearby Esso has 164.9 at Glasnevin. I filled up at Maxol locally, 164.9 which seems to be the going rate for most garages so far.(All petrol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

gurramok wrote: »
    166.9 in Topaz, nearby Esso has 164.9 at Glasnevin. I filled up at Maxol locally, 164.9 which seems to be the going rate for most garages so far.(All petrol)

I haven't been out today but Esso in Ballybough and TOP in Amiens St. have been trading at least 2-3 cent below most other's lately.

lol@ Topaz and their €1:66.9 - I truely hate the whores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I paid €1.55.9 a short while ago for petrol in my local (little known franchise). I thought it was a good deal until I was driving outside of a Tipperary town and the car decided to choke and sound like it had serious respiratory problems and then a huge (no exaggeration) gust of black smoke out of the exhaust. I pulled the car over and called out the AA who towed me to a garage (they have yet to fix a problem by the roadside for me).

It would seem it was due to dirty petrol and I later found out that apparently the filling station in question had a rumoured water leak into its fuel tank. I'm going to stick with Topaz etc.. in future. Cheap is not always best!

The nearest (independent) station to me now has 168.9c a litre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I haven't been out today but Esso in Ballybough and TOP in Amiens St. have been trading at least 2-3 cent below most other's lately.

lol@ Topaz and their €1:66.9 - I truely hate the whores.

Just do what I do when in topaz.....

Fill large coffee right to the brim.....
    Put lid on cup......

Cashier asks, 'tea or coffee?'

Tea, says me.....

€1.79 says she......

Save forty cent each time i'm in there! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Ghandee wrote: »
    Just do what I do when in topaz.....

Fill large coffee right to the brim.....
    Put lid on cup......

Cashier asks, 'tea or coffee?'

Tea, says me.....

€1.79 says she......

Save forty cent each time i'm in there! ;)

Reported to the Cyber Police.... you dun goofed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just posted in the Wexford thread that the price of petrol went up by 4c a litre in 24 hours,the greedy cnuts......The garages complained when remarks about price fixing in the town were made by a local politician last year:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

169.9 here in goatstown

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

facemelter wrote: »
    OK I've heard this a few places but this being the internet im going to spout it like its mine .. The price of petrol is it really that high ? if you consider all the work that has to go into getting from beneath 100's of metres of ocean , under tonnes of rock , processed , cleaned , refined , and pumped into your car for about 1.57 a litre , sure a can of coke can be more expensive than that , I think the reason people talk about it so much it because the amounts we use it in are so vast . any thoughts ?

In short of that €1.57 about 70-80 cent goes to the government.

• Advertisement

Petrol breaks €2 barrier in Paris.
    http://www.connexionfrance.com/Petrol-SP95-litre-two-euro-Bastille-Paris-symbolic-13534-view-article.html
    LESS than a year after Total chief executive Christophe de Margerie predicted the €2 litre of petrol it has happened. A petrol station on Rue Saint-Antoine, near the Bastille, in Paris, is charging €2.020 for unleaded.

The average price of a litre of SP95 hit a new record of €1.6211 last week and €1.6610 for SP98 - but the price set by the Carbeo garage in Paris 4e yesterday has broken a symbolic barrier.

Anywhere in Ireland approaching €2 a litre yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The price of petrol has gone up far too much. Crazy prices, just about able to fork out €20 for each top up of petrol, careful of sparing the petrol. Price is scandalous.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Think I heard its to be introduced by next winter!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

not that I have seen yet anyways. I wouldn't be surprised to see it surpass the €2.00 by end of Summer though.

The highest I've seen is up to 166.9 in varying parts of Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Price of oil down 25% in eight weeks. Petrol Price change = about 0%

I'm lighting a firebrand and rooting around shed for my pitchfork on this.

Oil companies greed again. I'm not blaming the euro this time.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Price of oil down 25% in eight weeks. Petrol Price change = about 0%

I'm lighting a firebrand and rooting around shed for my pitchfork on this.

Oil companies greed again. I'm not blaming the euro this time.:mad:

cos kenny and his feckwits won't lower the fuel taxes... which accounts for almost €1 of tax per litre

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yup, oil prices drop. Tax stays the same. Goverment gets profit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Zacchaeus

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Oil price/Petrol price movement nothing to do with tax

When oil shoots up, so does the price at the pumps

When it drops, it stays the same. Petrol stations have been taking the p*ss for years I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

cos kenny and his feckwits won't lower the fuel taxes... which accounts for almost €1 of tax per litre

Why would they lower them when it doesn't affect them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

..............greed ;):rolleyes::mad:

I did get petrol for €1.59 the other day tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

..............greed ;):rolleyes::mad:

I did get petrol for €1.59 the other day tho!

€158.9 in munnelly's garage carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Price Fixing by the Big oil companies as well as Government screwing us with the taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Petrol should be roughly 120c a litre now but as it stands it's average price is 160c a litre.
    The spiel is that price drops take 3 months to hit the pumps yet rises can happen in hours,of course the government won't do anything about it as they profit from the taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ferg01

I remember hearing a rep from the AA explaining how oil price movements upwards filter through to the forecourt v quickly because refineries pass on the increases much faster. Oil price movements downwards are "sticky" in that they take a while to feed through from the refinery. He also added that apparently, margins on fuel are razor thin - I used to believe this...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Vicxas wrote: »
    Yup, oil prices drop. Tax stays the same. Goverment gets profit!

that and the fall of the Euro over the last few months as seen here it down from 1.33 to 1.24 and still dropping :( All oil bought and sold in US dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

thewing wrote: »
    Oil price/Petrol price movement nothing to do with tax

When oil shoots up, so does the price at the pumps

When it drops, it stays the same. Petrol stations have been taking the p*ss for years I reckon.

that's partially true but the price at the pump reflects the price it was purchased at by the importer like TOP or Statoil when they purchase it from the boats that come in. just because the price per barrel out in raghead land drops it doesn't mean that the price here will immediately change because the importer paid a higher price and needs to maintain profit margins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

its a production capacity issue. there are not very many oil refineries making petrol so the price is at premium. the oil price makes only a little difference.

also, building them is a nightmare and a nimby problem so thats unlikely to change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Diesel bought at €1.489 just off the quays yesterday (not the "underfilling" station). This was the first time ive seen it below 1.50/litre in ages

Its funny, I have a topaz fuelcard but I never use it because the prices at some (branded) stations are cheaper even than the card price (1.515 this week)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Faolchu wrote: »
    that's partially true but the price at the pump reflects the price it was purchased at by the importer like TOP or Statoil when they purchase it from the boats that come in. just because the price per barrel out in raghead land drops it doesn't mean that the price here will immediately change because the importer paid a higher price and needs to maintain profit margins

Yes but why does it rise within hours of news of a 'crisis' within an OPEC country?
    Why does it always appear that our petrol companies source their petrol continuously from countries in 'crisis' i.e. Libya? (Plenty stable countries in OPEC)
    If petrol prices react quickly to price surges, surely the same should happen on the inverse? Assuming that they maintain a 'lean' supply of petrol on site?

I firmly believe they have been taking liberties for years, but govt won't take them on as they are aware they have punished them enough with the level of excise they have placed on their product.

Advertisement