Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My New Tank

Options
  • 27-02-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭

TaDa!!
    2012-02-27210946.jpg

So enough with the dramatics already :D

Here's my new tank, it's a 220L custom built 120x48x38 cm sitting on a custom stand and custom hood. Came with a Hydor Prime30 filter, a burnt out heater, lots of plastic plants and lots of bits: chemicals, filter media, a giant plastic bell, air lines etc. All for 300 NZD, or about €200 :pac::pac::pac:

To date I've cleaned it thoroughly, tested the filter, bought replacement filter inlet / outlet, 2 new heaters on the way. I added the substrate; a 2-3cm layer of peat moss covered in 4-5cm of sand (Black, like all the beaches around here) and filled it with water. Spent this evening adjusting the filter pipe length and purging as much air as I can from the filter system.

The filter has been running for a couple of hours, just for further testing. The heaters should turn up in the next few days and then I can start adding the ammonia and a few plants. Some wood / rocks will follow at some point.

I'm also planning a custom background, probably a Star Trek scene, which I think will look pretty cool [/nerd] :D

The plan is to heavily plant it, with what I'm not quite sure as yet. Livestock will be most likely, a couple of angels, some gourami - likely honeys, a shoal of tetras, a shoal of corys and some apple snails. Possibly some other surface level fish depending on stock levels. I'd quite like to have a large tetra shoal (>20) and they'll likely be neons or cardinals. Choice is a bit limited down here and everything is more expensive too unfortunately so it'll be a slower process than at home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Looking good. I'm in the process of upgrading my tank at the moment too. 220 is a nice size, gives you plenty more options on fish. A big shoal of tetras would be cool.

I see you're in NZ, what sort of money are fish down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Angels and tetras can be a bad combination, I know WIZE lost some tetras to his Angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I see you're in NZ, what sort of money are fish down there?

It can vary from similar to Irl to more expensive. Cardinals were $5.40 or so each in the lfs, about €3.60. Angels, $17.50 iirc

The heaters were $54 each plus post, could have got them for £22 ($44 or so) plus post from the UK if back in IRL. Plants are $5-10, so cheaper in some regards and there are loads on trade me. Unfortunitly where I am, New Plymouth, limits me as it's kinda remote from the main centres. Auckland is like Dublin, lots of shops, lots of people willing to swap / trade / sell, here not so much. There is a local wholesaler but neither they nor the lfs is willing to give me a stock list to browse through. I'll just have to ask the lfs at the time what they have available and take note and google all the types to see what I can use, what I like if not simply go with what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sleepy wrote: »
    Angels and tetras can be a bad combination, I know WIZE lost some tetras to his Angels.
    yep, i was going to say the same thing.

i do have both in my 260L juwel vision and so far everyone is still present and correct, although after several months of harmoney in my community tank my two angels did snap up a couple of my mexican dwarf crayfish when they were shedding a little while ago. :(

Didn't know that, the angels will only be small. 5cm or so.
    I presume I'd have a couple of years at least before they are big enough to devour a cardinal

• Advertisement

Didn't know that, the angels will only be small. 5cm or so.
    I presume I'd have a couple of years at least before they are big enough to devour a cardinal
    you'd be surprised how quickly they grow, i got mine as babies and they have grown several times faster than anything else in the tank and are already laying eggs every couple of weeks. i doubt i'll get more than another 6 months before they're into tetra chomping mode. :(

AqAdvisor has been consulted...

AquStockImage.php?N=&L=47.2440944882&D=14.9606299213&H=18.8976377953&J=0&UV=L&UL=cm&F=20:200909300039:0,4:200910221620:0,6:200909300098:0,15:200909300219:0

Seems I can happily have what I want except for the angels that don't fit the water parameters as well as being aggressive as suggested above...

any suggestions for a final addition, if any?

Bear in mind the 96% above represents a filter capacity of 454LpH, the filter will actually do 600LpH and I've measured it (roughly) and clocked over 700LpH...

A couple of Dwarf Gouramis? Don't get quite as big as Angels but have beautiful colouring.

A couple of Dwarf Gouramis? Don't get quite as big as Angels but have beautiful colouring.
    they might fight with the honey gourami (apparently). although I have both and they are fine. the only real trouble i have is with my golden gourami who seems to really really like staying in the exact spot in the whole 260L tank where the angels keep laying their eggs, so he gets a lot of abuse from them.

they leave him alone if he doesn't go there and they only ever defend that one small part of the tank by the filter, but yer man just keeps going for it for some reason, even when there are no eggs there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Some Rainbow fish?
    Mine are very well behaved with my rummy nosed tetras and harlequins

• Advertisement

Heaters in, ammonia will be added tonight to kick things off.

May pick up a few plants tomorrow to start it off, $5 bucks a pop or $3.30 for little ones. Nice and cheap. Also need some thermometers.

aww look, ickle baby plants

2012-03-01233030.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mutznutz

especially like the ones on the far left and right wat are they called... wat sort of soil are you planting them in .. are you leaving them in the pot..
    :D

mutznutz wrote: »
    especially like the ones on the far left and right wat are they called... wat sort of soil are you planting them in .. are you leaving them in the pot..
    :D
    No idea on names, so if anyonw knows do tell.
    I removed them from the pots and ended up with 8 plants, the far left and right breakin up into 2 and 3 bits and the sword-esque one doing the same. Planted them all directly in the substrate which is peatmoss covered by sand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

You should get kribensis! Kribs are great craic.

My Mr and Mrs Krib are currently in luuurve, and it's funny to watch (she wants babies, he doesn't)

EDIT: actually they won't work if you have cories afaik. Not sure about the gouramis either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mutznutz

Does the peat moss have any affect on the water ph.. and or nitrate levels .. it is dead moss so does this sky rocket nitrate ..

Water has been in with filter on for 2 weeks. Added 6ppm ammonia and tested for same on the first day.

Levels today:

Ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrite .5ppm
    Nitrate 0-3ppm or so, not quite the colour indicated for 5ppm, but a little darker than the 0 ppm colour.
    ph ~6.5

I added a squeeze from a mature filter on Wednesday, seems way too quick to have cleared the ammonia already?!?

All tests are the dropper kind and I've tested for ammonia every 3 days so far, levels were pretty high, 4ppm+ on every other test.
    Can a mature filter squeeze really make that much difference?

All the above results were taken just after a 15% water change, once water had circulated for about 10 mins

mutznutz wrote: »
    Does the peat moss have any affect on the water ph.. and or nitrate levels .. it is dead moss so does this sky rocket nitrate ..

it'll drop it a bit but that's good for the fish I want. The nitrate shouldn't rise as it's locked in as such and under a layer of sand. I've 12 plants in so far that should help absorb the nitrate too

Also found some spiral shelled snails :mad:
    I reckon they're ramshorns, darn it to hell. I though the high ammonia might have killed any of them...

Assassin snails not legal here either.

2012-03-10135517.jpg

I'm kinda hoping the wood will sink in the next few days rather than worrying about having to hold it down somehow

• Advertisement

I'm kinda hoping the wood will sink in the next few days rather than worrying about having to hold it down somehow
    nail it to the bottom with some nice big nails. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Should float it in the bath til it sinks, so your OH can moan at you about it.

All tests are the dropper kind and I've tested for ammonia every 3 days so far, levels were pretty high, 4ppm+ on every other test.
    Can a mature filter squeeze really make that much difference?
    In my non-expert experience, absolutely. I got one tank cycled in 4/5 days due to rinsing out a mature sponge in the tank!

In my non-expert experience, absolutely. I got one tank cycled in 4/5 days due to rinsing out a mature sponge in the tank!

sweet :D

My last test done was last night

Amm: 0
    Nitirite: 20ppm
    Nitrate: 5ppm

Changed 40% to remove snail rid dose and did some work on the tank, adding weights to the driftwood to hold it down and moved a plant or two. Added a little ammonia solution (20ml or so) just to keep bacteria turning over

Test it this morning again
    Amm:0
    Nitrite: 20ppm
    Nitrate: 160ppm+ (as dark a colour as the scale goes)

Changed another 20% this morning, no fish in tank yet it's still cycling.
    Any reason the nitrates would skyrocket like that? The substrate is peat under sand, would disturbing it to bury the weights released that much nitrate?

I'm confused.

My last test done was last night

Amm: 0
    Nitirite: 20ppm
    Nitrate: 5ppm

Changed 40% to remove snail rid dose and did some work on the tank, adding weights to the driftwood to hold it down and moved a plant or two. Added a little ammonia solution (20ml or so) just to keep bacteria turning over

Test it this morning again
    Amm:0
    Nitrite: 20ppm
    Nitrate: 160ppm+ (as dark a colour as the scale goes)

Changed another 20% this morning, no fish in tank yet it's still cycling.
    Any reason the nitrates would skyrocket like that? The substrate is peat under sand, would disturbing it to bury the weights released that much nitrate?

I'm confused.

Have you tested your tap water to see if there's any Nitrates in it?

It seems a huge swing in the space of a day.

Tap water has zero pretty much, tested this morning after that result

That reading couldn't be right. As the tank is cycling the Nitrates will rise but definitely not by that much. I'd test it again to be sure.

Yeah I will retest and change water out as needed. Would the exposed peat leach nitrates?

• Advertisement

After reading up on it, it seems some peat is very high in nitrates. Personally I would remove it and it could potentially be lethal to your fish if it's releasing nitrate like that.

Advertisement