Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My New Tank

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dont know how I missed this thread,till now.:o:D

Lovely tank you have,and looks like its going to be a very nice setup indeed.

Good luck with it and hope you enjoy it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

hmm... I was not with it yesterday obviously.

tested today again:
    Amm: 0ppm
    Nitrite: .5ppm (same as previous times, not 20ppm) :oops:
    Nitrate: 10ppm today

I reckon I must have messed up the test, too many or too few drops

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

hmm... I was not with it yesterday obviously.

tested today again:
    Amm: 0ppm
    Nitrite: .5ppm (same as previous times, not 20ppm) :oops:
    Nitrate: 10ppm today

I reckon I must have messed up the test, too many or too few drops

That's more like it. Lol!

20% change today and retest

amm 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate <5
    ph 6.8-7

Tank ready for fishies

Perfect reading you got there Cookie. I wouldn't add too many fish at the beginning though, add a few at a time, just so there won't be much of a load on the bacteria.

• Advertisement

Perfect reading you got there Cookie. I wouldn't add too many fish at the beginning though, add a few at a time, just so there won't be much of a load on the bacteria.

I know :)

Plan today was to get a group of tetra (however many the store had avail) and some apple snails. That's probably gone out the window now with the extreme winds and risk of powercuts and getting blown away on the way home. I'll have to wait another day at least

First besties are in, 5 apple snails in there somewhere.
    Thought one was dead cos he didn't move for ages but then he woke up and shot around for a while. 4 new Crypt. Affinis plants in there today too. The tall plants in the back right have doubled their height in the lasst week and a half, growing like bamboo :D

15 pepper cories on the way next

2012-03-21200354.jpg

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was told there would be star trek backgrounds... :)

MarkR wrote: »
    I was told there would be star trek backgrounds... :)

there will but it'll be expensive so will be a while

First besties are in, 5 apple snails in there somewhere.
    Thought one was dead cos he didn't move for ages but then he woke up and shot around for a while. 4 new Crypt. Affinis plants in there today too. The tall plants in the back right have doubled their height in the lasst week and a half, growing like bamboo :D

15 pepper cories on the way next

2012-03-21200354.jpg

Looking good.

I had a nasty experience a few weeks ago with one of my snails. I had five but hadn't seen the five together for a while so I decided to lift some rocks out to try find the lost snail.

I eventually found it trapped under a rock that must have shifted from the fish digging the sand. It was well dead and the smell of it was something I won't forget anytime soon and luckily I got it when I did as it would have polluted the tank.

• Advertisement

so much for apple snails not eating plants, they've demolished a few of them so far :mad:

15 pepper cory in there now too, seem happy so far. I'll wait a couple of weeks and then the tetra go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

so much for apple snails not eating plants, they've demolished a few of them so far :mad:
    Mine doesn't touch plants at all. Is there anything else for them to eat, like algae? Sinking algae pellets do down well with mine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Oh no, sounds like you have canaliculata apple snails instead of diffusa, diffusa won't eat plants, canaliculata will.

Best thing to do is distract them with lettuce and cucumber, if they're getting enough food that they prefer, they'll leave your plants alone.

yeah I've put a few bits of cucumber in and it's been demolished.

We'll see how they settle down, there's little or no evidence of algae yet either so maybe if it starts growing they'll eat it...

Advertisement