Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Classified Ads Script Or Write from scratch

Options
  • 27-02-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have created a couple of websites in .Net that are classified ads and wrote them from scratch. Heres an Example

I have a couple of ideas for similar sites and im wondering should I use a PHP Classified Ads script like Gold Classifieds to save me all of the development time??

BTW ..

I have no PHP experience whatsoever but im sure these scripts are easily edited??

Any opinions would be appreciated.

bigbadcon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Write code in a language that you know well and in which you are proficient enough to deal with security issues. Otherwise you are going to be dealing with learning a new language and making mistakes. If you can understand what is going on in the PHP scripts, you can probably code it in your favourite language.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Thanks for the reply jmcc,

Im really just looking for the lazy way out of getting a site up and running.
    I dont have a whole lot of spare time lately and the thoughts of starting development on a new site is a bit scary.

I was thinking that these PHP scripts are around a long time and are widely in use ( i think) so should have all bases covered and will save me time doing all of the custom development myself.

With these scripts you have an admin sections where you can configure the site the way you want it and its a case of ticking a box in on an admin page instead of sitting down and developing that feature yourself.

Obviously they are expensive enough though so you are paying for the convenience.

Eg 68classifieds.com have the developer version for $149 which you can edit yourself. I think you may want to buy other modules though which could bump up the price a bit..

Im thinking $149 sounds better than a months worth of development/testing in my spare time...

Maybe in underestimating how easy it would be to get a site up and running with this??

Any opinions would be appreciated..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 helen_k

I think there are too many things you should take into consideration and too many new thing you should learn for successfull project. That's why I would prefer buy the ready-made script and change it.

There are a lot of classifieds scripts in the net (some of them much much better that the script you mentioned)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

helen_k wrote: »
    I think there are too many things you should take into consideration and too many new thing you should learn for successfull project. That's why I would prefer buy the ready-made script and change it.

There are a lot of classifieds scripts in the net (some of them much much better that the script you mentioned)

Thanks for the reply.

What other scripts would you recommend? Do you have any experience in editing these scripts? Are they difficult to figure out if you have only html/css knowledge but no php?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 helen_k

I would recommend use http://www.hotscripts.com/search/all-scripts/classifieds+script There are a lot of interesting scripts

I think you need to try every script you like and choose the most relevant to your needs.

Also I think you may ask the developers about customisation possibilities. And may be you won't need programming yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

Have you checked Open Classifieds?

Advertisement