Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile World Congress 2012

Options
  • 27-02-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Surprised no thread on this.
    I'm watching updates on CNBC & Bloomberg.
    Live updates/reviews on http://www.gsmarena.com/
    ---
    Vodafone has partnered with Visa to pay by phone, instead of needing a wallet, they predict within 5 years it will be the standard payment method.
    ---
    The Samsung Galaxy beam, with a built in pico 15lum projector. Pretty cool even with such a low lum value, I have followed the pico-tech for some time, so not sure why they didn't go with a 30lum or even an 80lum, but good to see this tech being introduced into phones. yes they had another one before, but the technology has advanced alot in the past few months
    ---
    Saw the interview with Mr.Nokia whatever his name is, he didn't say too much, just showed the new phones, and aim at making different phones for different people. Not sure about the Pureview 808 with a 41MP camera.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

41MP Sensor! Thats a bit extreme, not to mention pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

draffodx wrote: »

It will definitely be the next 'bragging' point though.

Like the penta-core Tegra3, quad-core is so 2011...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not to mention putting symbian on it, what a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Far from pointless,

Sorry, did you just say 41-megapixels?

Yes, that’s right. But this combination isn’t about shooting pictures the size of billboards! Instead, it’s about creating amazing pictures at normal, manageable sizes. There’s a combination of benefits.

The technology means that taking typically sized shots (say, 5 megapixels) the camera can use oversampling to combine up to seven pixels into one “pure” pixel, eliminating the visual noise found on other mobile phone cameras. On top of that, you can zoom in up to 3X without losing any of the details in your shot – and there’s no artificially created pixels in your picture, either.

Otherwise, you can use ‘Creative Shooting Mode’ to capture images at high resolution – 38 megapixels; then reframe, crop and zoom to find the best “picture within the picture” after the image has been shot and before saving it at convenient sizes for sharing and storage.

The oversampling technology also allows for significantly improved low light performance than previous camera phones, Compared to a typical optical zoom camera used at full zoom, the Nokia 808 PureView captures over 5x more light. Under normal lighting conditions, performance is also enhanced, as this combination allows for faster shutter speeds, reducing the effects of camera shake.

Video star

The excellent camera performance also extends to video. The camera allows for 1080p recording at 30fps, with 4X lossless zoom thanks to the big sensor and powerful image processing which handles over 1 billion pixels per second. At lower resolutions, the capabilities of the zoom increase, with 6X at 720p and up to 12X lossless zoom in nHD (640 x 360) recordings.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/02/27/nokia-808-pureview-%E2%80%93-revolutionary-camera-technology-great-smartphone/#disqus_thread

• Advertisement

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Far from pointless,

Without a proper lense those features will be essentially pointless and very very rarely used on a phone. For the cost to implement it I don't think its a worthwhile venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

ZTE announce their second WP7 phone called Orbit.
    I was really tempted to pick up their first WP7 phone called Tania, until I realised that there was no sd card support.
    I wonder if they have gone with the same strategy here?

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I was really tempted to pick up their first WP7 phone called Tania, until I realised that there was no sd card support.

That's a WP7 limitation more than anything, not ZTE's strategy.

TBi wrote: »
    That's a WP7 limitation more than anything, not ZTE's strategy.

Thanks, I had thought that might be the case alright, but I never looked into it fully.

They are still nice phones though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well that phones destined for the average Joe who doesn't reaaly care about apps or lots of music.

Just want a phone for basic smartphone functions rather than a multimedia power house at a low price :)

• Advertisement

Well that phones destined for the average Joe who doesn't reaaly care about apps or lots of music.

Just want a phone for basic smartphone functions rather than a multimedia power house at a low price :)

Yeah, I guess I was just looking for a cheap WP7 phone to see what they are like, but in my heart I know that I couldn't live without a power house phone!

Bring on the SGS3 announcement from Samsung :D

They said it won't happen at Mobile world congress, There keeping their cards very close to their chest, the S3 is being kept as secret as the iPhone5. Samsung never do this, there going to hold on as long as they can to launch an assault on the iphone5.

They said it won't happen at Mobile world congress, There keeping their cards very close to their chest, the S3 is being kept as secret as the iPhone5. Samsung never do this, there going to hold on as long as they can to launch an assault on the iphone5.

Yep, I can't wait.
    All the rumours seem to suggest a late March unveiling!

Yep, I can't wait.

Tough one, could be April, June, October, i'd say it'll all down to apple when Samsung decide to launch.

Yep, I can't wait.

Haven't they confirmed March 22nd as the announcement date?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Yeah, I guess I was just looking for a cheap WP7 phone to see what they are like, but in my heart I know that I couldn't live without a power house phone!

No point starting at the bottom of the chain. Its like buying a Galaxy Ace and trying to judge whats Android like. Obviously its gonna leave you with a bitter experience if you owned a decent smartphone before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Haven't they confirmed March 22nd as the announcement date?

I thought they did.

I can see Apple's lawyers chomping at the bit for the announcement too.

Pictures released from the pureviews 41 mp sensor released.

No point starting at the bottom of the chain. Its like buying a Galaxy Ace and trying to judge whats Android like. Obviously its gonna leave you with a bitter experience if you owned a decent smartphone before.

Yeah, you are totally right of course. Maybe I should just find someone with a WP7 phone, and ask them to mess about with it.
    wernstrom! wrote: »
    I thought they did.

I can see Apple's lawyers chomping at the bit for the announcement too.

I thought the same myself, but reading a 'rumour' site earlier and it said that it definitely wasn't going to be March 22nd!

I know, I take all that news with a pinch of salt myself, but I don't believe that there is an official launch date as of yet!!

Advertisement