Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

t5 32w circular flourescent lamps - not working

• 27-02-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

I replaced two t5 circular 32w flourescent lamps in my parents house, both old lamps were blackened at the end of the lamp and so I assumed blown. I purchased two more lamps (brough old one to retailer) but neither work. Both are on different circuits. I've checked and both light fittings have power going to them, the lamps are fitted correctly but no light. I don't think both of the transformers could be gone? The transformers are Jindel with 200v 32w outputs, the new lamps are 32w 230/250v could the difference in voltage be the reason? I've googled this and can't find any info. Help / advice would be appreciated.

eboarde

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

32 watt in a t5 is uncommon, are they eclipse fittings by any chance
    its unlikely both ballasts are gone, does the lamp have 4 pins in a square or 2 pins on oppisites sides of the glass.
    could you bring one of the fittings into your nearest wholesaler and see if its the ballast or see if the lamp holder is wired correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

Thanks for your response.

There is no brand name on the fittings. It has a white plastic cover.

The lamp has 4 pins in a square.

Can I check to see if the ballast is working by putting a phase tester on the output pins or could this damage it?

ive been told here that voltage on the lampholder is not indicative of a working ballast but is a good start.
    its going to be difficult to obtain ballasts for those lamps as they are t5 and are electronic.
    when we need to test if a ballast is gone here we just take one off the shelf and wire it up in the fitting with the new lamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

are there starters in these fittings
    if so i would always replace them at the same time

http://www.luxurylighting.co.uk/4-80-watt-starter-1030-p.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

no there'd just be electronic ballast

they do give trouble assuming tubes are correct

• Advertisement

if its t5 then its hf and no starter.......personally dont know of any way of testing a ballast other then checking the wiring diagram is correct and changing the lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

Thanks for all your replies.

I'll be out there again this evening and will have a tinker and see what I can do.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ive never tested one either as the fault is usually just one or the other

I seen,a suggestion,on the web to use a volt alert on the output side for a dead light -dunno would that be reliable

Advertisement