Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne 10k 2012: Drogheda 06/05

Options
  • 27-02-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Rate this race based on Scenery, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 18 votes

Excellent
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    72% 13 votes
    Average
    22% 4 votes
    Poor
    5% 1 vote
    Terrible
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

Gonna be great this year! Can't wait :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I think there'll be a big crowd, every night driving through Drogheda lately you see people running everywhere!

It'll be my second race, cant wait :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Bit torn on this one. It is a pity 2 great races (Dundalk and Drogheda 10K) are so close together. Dundalk is probably a flatter faster course but Drogheda has the advantage that it is organised by a running club and on a weekend. Maybe the two organisers could get together for next year, and spread the time between the races, and support each others race. It will probably increase the numbers in both. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Bit torn on this one. It is a pity 2 great races (Dundalk and Drogheda 10K) are so close together. Dundalk is probably a flatter faster course but Drogheda has the advantage that it is organised by a running club and on a weekend. Maybe the two organisers could get together for next year, and spread the time between the races, and support each others race. It will probably increase the numbers in both. Just a thought.

Totally agree- I'd love to do both but they are only days apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

^^^^

Yeah +1 from me on this too. I'd love to do both but I generally choose Dundalk as half marathons are so rare around these parts. Shame as it's meant to be a good 10k, might even do it this year as a warm up for Dundalk to support a neighbouring club and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 dingonerd

Done Dundalk HM last 2 years.

I'll defo do drogheda this year instead. They handed 20k to
    charity last year. Dundalk, going by their website, gave €1500, despite
    charging similiar entry fee for the 10k (the hm is more expensive) and having greater numbers.

Pity, cause I'm from Dundalk and know the course well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

dingonerd wrote: »
    Done Dundalk HM last 2 years.

I'll defo do drogheda this year instead. They handed 20k to
    charity last year. Dundalk, going by their website, gave €1500, despite
    charging similiar entry fee for the 10k (the hm is more expensive) and having greater numbers.

Pity, cause I'm from Dundalk and know the course well...

Yeah and I've heard a few people complaining that the price went up too early for Dundalk, the end of February. I mean, people don't always think about entering a race that far in advance and then they have to pay the full whack. A few of my friends were put off by this and won't enter now, gonna do Drogheda instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dingonerd

pconn062 wrote: »
    Yeah and I've heard a few people complaining that the price went up too early for Dundalk, the end of February. I mean, people don't always think about entering a race that far in advance and then they have to pay the full whack. A few of my friends were put off by this and won't enter now, gonna do Drogheda instead.

Getting similiar feedback myself
    Tho I think Drogheda might be going up from €20 to €25 on 31st March?

http://droghedaanddistrictac.com/?page_id=1453

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

dingonerd wrote: »
    Getting similiar feedback myself
    Tho I think Drogheda might be going up from €20 to €25 on 31st March?

http://droghedaanddistrictac.com/?page_id=1453

Correct, tomorrow is last day to get this for €20, so get it while it's going if you want to run a fast course 10k on May 6th.

Correct, tomorrow is last day to get this for €20, so get it while it's going if you want to run a fast course 10k on May 6th.

Not sure it is accurate to say it is a fast course. Bar the 200M downhill start it is very hilly through Mell and also there is a drag from Oldbridge to the river of a about 1KM long. It is a very good course I will agree but fast I am not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Not sure it is accurate to say it is a fast course. Bar the 200M downhill start it is very hilly through Mell and also there is a drag from Oldbridge to the river of a about 1KM long. It is a very good course I will agree but fast I am not sure.

Have to agree with Niall above. For the 1st 2.5 miles is mostly uphill (very gradual though and comfortable)...after that its flat the whole way. really nice course

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Have to agree with Niall above. For the 1st 2.5 miles is mostly uphill (very gradual though and comfortable)...after that its flat the whole way. really nice course

Yeah I suppose I agree it isn't the fastest of fast courses but last 5k is all flat save a couple of little inclines in town centre. If wind is blowing in usual direction unlike last year it should be fast enough. I pb'd on t last year even into the wind.

Yeah I suppose I agree it isn't the fastest of fast courses but last 5k is all flat save a couple of little inclines in town centre. If wind is blowing in usual direction unlike last year it should be fast enough. I pb'd on t last year even into the wind.

However, it is a local race organised by a great local club and should be supported if possible especially as proceeds are going to a great charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Garmin Link

Just including the garmin link of the course. In my opinion its a fast course especially the 2nd half.

This time next week it will be all over! I'm on the refreshments committee and boy have we got a feast planned. It will be in the food court in the lower Laurence Town Centre straight after the race so if you are running make sure you don't miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Just signed up for this. Will be running in the Raheny Shamrock colours again.
    There was a serious amount of grub involved after the race last year, so if Drogheda&DistrictAC can beat that then fair play - I'll be rolling out of town!

Macanri wrote: »
    Just signed up for this. Will be running in the Raheny Shamrock colours again.
    There was a serious amount of grub involved after the race last year, so if Drogheda&DistrictAC can beat that then fair play - I'll be rolling out of town!

Great stuff, was wondering were you on for it. Would you be hoping to beat last year's PB?
    We've pulled out all the stops this year, it's gonna be a race to remember :D

Great stuff, was wondering were you on for it. Would you be hoping to beat last year's PB?
    We've pulled out all the stops this year, it's gonna be a race to remember :D

Yea, will be aiming to dip under 38, hopefully. Last years PB was achieved on tired legs as I had done a sprint tri the previous morning, so hopefully I will feel fresher this year and run a bit faster! Looking forward to it.
    I hope there's no wind blowing up the Boyne valley like last year.
    See you then.

Great stuff. And don't forget McPhails for the post-post-race-refreshments later ;-) Ian is running again and only back from Malaysia with no training, don't think he's looking forward to it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Yea, will be aiming to dip under 38, hopefully. Last years PB was achieved on tired legs as I had done a sprint tri the previous morning, so hopefully I will feel fresher this year and run a bit faster! Looking forward to it.
    I hope there's no wind blowing up the Boyne valley like last year.
    See you then.

Targeting a similar time so Mac, see you down there.

• Advertisement

Great stuff. And don't forget McPhails for the post-post-race-refreshments later ;-) Ian is running again and only back from Malaysia with no training, don't think he's looking forward to it :eek:

Fair play to Ian, getting out there - even if training hasn't been great - he'll enjoy the run anyway.
    Targeting a similar time so Mac, see you down there.

Good stuff JB. See you there. Are you heading for a pint in McPhails Sun evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kc021174

Hi,
    Hoping to register for this today online but wont be in drogheda on fri/sat for number collection. Can numbers be collected on Sunday?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good stuff JB. See you there. Are you heading for a pint in McPhails Sun evening?

Sure it would be a shame not to, will be good to catch up.

kc021174 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Hoping to register for this today online but wont be in drogheda on fri/sat for number collection. Can numbers be collected on Sunday?
    Thanks!

Yes you will be able to collect it on Sunday, but be sure to be early.
    Enjoy the race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kc021174

Yes you will be able to collect it on Sunday, but be sure to be early.
    Enjoy the race!

Thanks for that casey...race starts at 3, but will be in drogheda for 1.30pm..is that ok?

kc021174 wrote: »
    Thanks for that casey...race starts at 3, but will be in drogheda for 1.30pm..is that ok?

Yes I'm sure that will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I'm going to try to run this 10km on Sunday with only 2 weeks prep.
    Started off last week with a 2.5km run on wed, a 3.75km on fri, 5km on wed and did 6.25km this morning and will give the 10k a lash on Sunday.

I had been running on grass and went out on the road today. Started to get blisters from about 4.5km on and running became painful even though there was a bit of gas in the tank when I finished.

I've no doubt ill find the 10k on sunday tough, I only ever ran 10k once before and that was 4 years ago on a treadmill and Ive only done a few 5k runs since.
    I was hoping to get under the hour, did my 6km this morning in 36 mins, but I dont know how achievable that is now.

Anyone have any advice regarding socks or blister patches etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I wear the 1000 mile socks that are available in all running shops but ideally any running sock will do for a 10K.

Best of luck on Sunday I'm sure the atmosphere will get you round. Take it handy for the first couple of K as there are a couple of hills. It's mainly flat after that until you come back into Drogheda. Above all enjoy it and don't worry too much about the time.

Compeede (spelling?) - The best blister plaster ever - like a second skin!

• Advertisement

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. Weather permitting it's shaping up to be a great day out with lots of stuff happening around Drogheda.
    And don't forget the Bagel Bar in the Laurence Town Centre for the post-race refreshments and the prize-giving. We have many many spot prizes as well as all the usuals so well worth popping in.

:D

Advertisement