Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne 10k 2012: Drogheda 06/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Great day today.

Enjoyed myself.

Did a time of 59:25, happy enough considering a 12 day prep & me being 103kg in body weight.

Mapped the course on gps and it came back at 10.2km.

The 2k through the ramparts was tough (gravel) & the last hill was hell.

Well organized, well ran,great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

A super organised event again by D&D AC. The weather was great too.
    Raheny Shamrock had the first male and female across the line.
    Not an 'easy' course by any means, but still doable - achieved a 2nd pb on the course in as many years - ran a 37:47, so well happy with that - tough going though! Also won a €20 voucher for Tesco in a spot prize.
    Enough food after it to feed a small army, unreal.

Well done Drogheda and thanks again.

Q. Why is Simon Ryan not down under Raheny Shamrock AC in the team result section?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

are the results up?
    I can only find the 2011 results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Few photographs here if anyone's interested in looking for themselves;

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.352738471454354.81596.122674161127454&type=1

Fair play to everyone involved. I ended up having to cycle the route and I have to say fair play to everyone who did it. I'm in horrible shape, so even just cycling it was a near-death experience for me, so I've lots of respect for those who managed to complete it (or even those who made it to to the tunnel at the motorway - hardest part of the run seems to be the first portion? All uphill?).

• Advertisement

Just looking at that - I wasn't at the finish line for the first people.. did the same guy win it that won last year? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

yep,knocked a minute off his time

Rossin wrote: »
    yep,knocked a minute off his time

Jesus, fair play to him. He didn't win it the year before aswell, did he? :confused: :eek:

The number of entrants I heard was around 16,000? Is that accurate? Must be a great feeling - beating that many people twice in a row. I'd say he's chuffed with himself (and rightly so).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Ha, I think you have an extra 0 on the end of the number, around 1500 finishers according to their facebook page!

pconn062 wrote: »
    Ha, I think you have an extra 0 on the end of the number, around 1500 finishers according to their facebook page!

Was yer man on the mic not saying thousand? Thought that was a bit high myself (though I'm not good at counting people) so I just took it as accurate. :o

• Advertisement

Was yer man on the mic not saying thousand? Thought that was a bit high myself (though I'm not good at counting people) so I just took it as accurate. :o

Don't think there is even 16,000 people in Drogheda! :D No, definetly around 1,500, still a very respectable number.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

1545 people ran the race, out of 1755 who registered.
    We were blown away by the numbers, people were still looking to register at 14.45 on the day.
    We thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and it was great to be part of it all.
    Most of our club were in McPhails that night, great craic, and many sore heads yesterday.
    Looking forward to next year already.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I'm in two minds about it this year- I'm trying not to let the fact that my time is wrong (I'd say my chip wasn't picked up at the start) and I didn't run great anyway influence what I thought of yesterday, but the start was very crowded with a lot of walkers (and ones that walk in a line across the road:rolleyes:) up at the front. With the road taped off and the narrow streets it left no way to get past but bull through. Water station wasn't prepared I had to wait when I got to it (not for long but still). Really if the same crowd were to appear next year there should be better toilet facilities. As much as I want to rave about the race this did put me off and I think if it happened again next year I don't know if the race would maintain the growing good name that it should be getting.

HOWEVER- the goody bag was top quality, the route is unique- it has hills but isn't overly hilly, parts could be classed as trail:)But has PB potential and if you get a PB on it it is well deserved. It probably is one of the most scenic runs I have ran. The atmosphere is superb, the samba mammas at the start and coming to the end and the crowds that lined the streets I haven't seen in another race (even the HM).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

I would agree with some of your points madon. I think that for next year, giving that the numbers should be the same or even greater, that they should look at introducing waves at the start area.

To be honest, one of the first things I noticed was that the start line wasn't as wide as last year. Everyone looked a bit squashed. As far as I recall, there was no parking on Laurence Street last year (this year there was).

The only vehicles on the street last year, as far as I recall, were the Order of Malta Ambulance and the Garda jeep and bike. This years actual start/end line looked more impressive though, that said.

I'll see if I can dig up a photo.

Edit:

13500173531B46E6BC8AD8E339B5574B-0000333410-0002850538-00640L-61522BEDB026449D9C4F2A7F082F5C48.jpg

7A1226C12894461982494F61B817D02E-0000333410-0002850539-00640L-BBB206B94B154805A714019E126FED8C.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kc021174

Enjoyed this race last Sunday, it was my first time to do it. My comments on the race are as follows:

Good:
    1. Race very well marshalled at all points troughout the race
    2. Nice scenic route with a few small climbs to keep you interested, the Cheltenham-like finish was a nice test at the end!
    3. Race started at 3.00pm on the dot, might not seem like a big deal but lots of other races dont manage it. Runners dont like to be hanging around at the start line getting cold..so well done.
    4. Great atmosphere at the end of the race. Samba drummers and road lined on both sides for the last 500 metres,it was the best atmosphere I've experienced in a race so far.
    5. Registration and bag pick-up well run.
    6. Nice goody bag and post-race refreshments.

Room for improvement for next year:
    1. Water station: Seemed to be short staffed as i passed by (looked like it was manned by mostly kids and I didnt manage to pick up a drink at all). A couple of friends who passed later said water was all gone. It didnt affect me too much, but a bigger station might be needed next year?
    2. First Km: As highlighted by a few others posters, negotiating a route through the the first km was a bit tricky. I resorted to running on the path up the main street and then ducking in under the tape when we reached the junction with the main road. The issue with walkers and slower runners starting too far up the front is not unique to drogheda, this happens in most races but the narrow road made dodging them a bit tougher.

So well done to all involved with this race, it was very well organised by the Drogheda club and we will be back next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone doing this this year?

Also, anyone have a garmin link of the course?

Gracias.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Anyone doing this this year?

Also, anyone have a garmin link of the course?

Gracias.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/184691238

I think the course is changing slightly this year due to works along the riverbank. It now means there is a killer hill at 8K which goes on for half a mile. Recommend the race as a whole. Great organisation and great atmosphere but def not a PB course this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Yes, that hill at 8k is going to be an absolute killer. Realistically you're looking at about 3 minutes off your time had you been using the old route.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Yes, that hill at 8k is going to be an absolute killer. Realistically you're looking at about 3 minutes off your time had you been using the old route.

Not sure about 3 mins. You will get the downhill on the other side when you crest the hill at the school. I reckon 40 secs to a minute.

• Advertisement

Ah Jaysus, didn't realise they changed the course, a hill at 8k, just what you don't want! Signed up anyway so will give it a bash although I think from all the accounts I've heard it's not a PB course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

same day as the limerick marathon so Im out again.
    Still havent managed to do it, despite drogheda being about 8 miles away.
    Maybe next year!

pconn062 wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus, didn't realise they changed the course, a hill at 8k, just what you don't want! Signed up anyway so will give it a bash although I think from all the accounts I've heard it's not a PB course.

I could be wrong but I think when you pass Oldbridge and go under the M1 bridge, instead of turning onto the riverbank, you turn right up the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

yep, and then down the rathmullen road, be tougher alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

They seem to be keeping the change to the course a closely guarded secret on their FB page. They even put up a video of the existing course over the weekend.

I know they have had 3 trial runs that have had to change course but this was due to some type of work being done on the other section. The undertsanding I had was that this would be finished in time for the race?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    They seem to be keeping the change to the course a closely guarded secret on their FB page. They even put up a video of the existing course over the weekend.

I know they have had 3 trial runs that have had to change course but this was due to some type of work being done on the other section. The undertsanding I had was that this would be finished in time for the race?

I am not sure the course change is even confirmed. It may still be the same. It would basically be the same course with only a slight change, albeit a hilly change. It might be a blessing in disguise because the wind in your face going up the riverbank is tough as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I can't see the work being done did two of the runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

NiallG4 wrote: »
    I am not sure the course change is even confirmed. It may still be the same. It would basically be the same course with only a slight change, albeit a hilly change. It might be a blessing in disguise because the wind in your face going up the riverbank is tough as well.

I have done the race twice once where it started at the battle of the boyne site (around halfway now) and finished back out there. The hill which is fairly significant does come early in the race but has a nice downhill into Drogheda after it. This route brought the runners back out the ramparts so any wind would have been behind you to the finish.

Last year and this year starts out in the town and has a couple of nice hills out to halfway. The 2nd half is grand if there isn't a strong wind but if you throw the hill in now it is a much more difficult proposition where it comes in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I think a lot of people would be glad the loose ground and the narrow path of the ramparts is out of the run. I just hope they organise the start a bit better- for a race that had over 1500 runner (and i could be completely wrong with that figure!) the start was congested, walkers were starting near the front I thought it was disaster. (and I'm really really hoping they got tech tees this year) Beside that the atmosphere is super and the course whichever way it goes is a challenge but a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

madon wrote: »
    I think a lot of people would be glad the loose ground and the narrow path of the ramparts is out of the run. I just hope they organise the start a bit better- for a race that had over 1500 runner (and i could be completely wrong with that figure!) the start was congested, walkers were starting near the front I thought it was disaster. (and I'm really really hoping they got tech tees this year) Beside that the atmosphere is super and the course whichever way it goes is a challenge but a good one!

Might be filling the bags so will let you know about the t-shirt:D

Advertisement