Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History project question.

• 27-02-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Im thinking of doing the bataan death march for my leaving cert history project. My teacher told me i needed 2 sources, one from internet and one from a book. My question is could i print off an e-book and use it as an book source outside of the internet?

I will be using online accounts off the internet and if i dont find any books on the evet could i download a book off the internet? Would it be counted as a second source?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Magaa wrote: »
    Im thinking of doing the bataan death march for my leaving cert history project. My teacher told me i needed 2 sources, one from internet and one from a book. My question is could i print off an e-book and use it as an book source outside of the internet?

I will be using online accounts off the internet and if i dont find any books on the evet could i download a book off the internet? Would it be counted as a second source?

An e-book or book from google books is the same as a book you pick up in a library.

with google books - go to google books - search for your topic - on the lefthand panel there is a link that says 'preview or fullview' - click on this and it will allow you to read the book (or parts of it) online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you need three sources? One from the internet and two others?

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you need three sources? One from the internet and two others?
    Minimum of three for HL - minimum of two for OL.

Minimum of three for HL - minimum of two for OL.
    Yeah, thought that, got a bit confused there for a second :p Will you get penalised marks for using the minimum of three sources?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Yeah, thought that, got a bit confused there for a second :p Will you get penalised marks for using the minimum of three sources?

Not that I know of, it's just to show that you've thoroughly researched your topic and compared of different viewpoints/opinions.

Best bet is to check with your teacher.

Also with the e-book situation, be sure to take down the correct referencing details (publisher, place of publication etc)... most of the examples/notes I came across last year recommended the Harvard referencing scheme which requires quite a bit of detail (some of my class only stuck down the author and title, needless to say they had a mad scramble a week before the due date to relocate the sources they had availed of)

• Advertisement

Just for clarification - you have to evaluate three sources in your 'evaluation of sources' - you can use as many as you want - but you evaluate three and you use at least these three. You are not penalised marks for using three as that is the minimum requirement.

Just for clarification - you have to evaluate three sources in your 'evaluation of sources' - you can use as many as you want - but you evaluate three and you use at least these three. You are not penalised marks for using three as that is the minimum requirement.
    Thanks for clearing that up, got a bit worried that I might need to revamp it a bit as everything is done :p

Advertisement