Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus route numbers and timetables from Sun 4 March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

How much publicity has this changeover been given? I just found a one page ad in the Advertiser because I was looking for something on it, (incidentally there's a small article on the Merlin Park Woods bus corridor or rather the councillor's negative reaction to the idea).
    I had to buy a weekly bus pass earlier this week and asked at the bus station counter about it. I was told that news would be on the radio and in all the papers.
    Asking around various people around town earlier this week nobody had heard anything. & the only notice I'd seen was a small notice on the back of the driver compartment on the bus into town. I only knew what that was because the URL to the topographical map had been posted on this thread.

Something tells me a LOT of people are going to be taken very much by surprise over next week as they go to get buses that no longer run at locations or times expected.

You would think that a similar notice to that on the driver compartment, which is presumably a smaller version of the full page ad would be stuck on bus stops/shelters across town. Preferably in a readable size.

Oh yeah, lady in bus station said that there hadn't been pre-publicity because everything hadn't been in place to do this change til the last minute or something to that effect. What was missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Just having a look at the new timetables and wondering if someone could help me with this.

On the 405 timetable as you're heading to Ballybane the next stop after Eyre Square is Spar in Bohermore. Is there a Spar along Bohermore as I can't recall any?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

s_carnage wrote: »
    Just having a look at the new timetables and wondering if someone could help me with this.

On the 405 timetable as you're heading to Ballybane the next stop after Eyre Square is Spar in Bohermore. Is there a Spar along Bohermore as I can't recall any?

I can't find anything more detailed than the one linked from the main BE page which doesn't mention Bohermore at all:
    Ballybane Rd - Terminus
    Tuam Rd - Ind Est
    Eyre Square - Stop 5
    University Rd - NUIG
    Gort na Bró - B&Q

What timetable are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stevolende wrote: »
    How much publicity has this changeover been given? ....

Something tells me a LOT of people are going to be taken very much by surprise over next week as they go to get buses that no longer run at locations or times expected.

Oh yeah, lady in bus station said that there hadn't been pre-publicity because everything hadn't been in place to do this change til the last minute or something to that effect. What was missing?

That I know of:
    • A press-release on BE's website last Thursday, that didn't go thru their RSS feed, so I didn't spot it 'til Saturday night.
    • Another announcement from BE on Monday. This one did go thru RSS, and the Advertiser and Indo picked it up and put it on their Facebook pages.
    • An item on www.GalwayTransport.info on Monday evening
    • I didn't check the Sentienal on Tuesday (the paper no one reads :) ), but guess it's there.
    • A full page ad on page 3 of the Galway Indo, on Wednedsay and an article further back
    • A full page ad further back in the Advertiser today, and an article on page 2 just under the editorial.
    There may have been ads on Galway Bay FM (I don't listen to it).

I saw an A4 size page behind the driver's compartment in the bus today - this is the first "around town" ad that I've seen.

So far, I'm with you on the "pathetic publicity" front, and the chaos predictions. Also, BÉ have only released the schematic map, not detailed ones, so it's impossible to be 100% sure where some routes go. I've published my predictions - but they are just an individual citizen's best guess.

Not overly impressed with the journalists who havent't even attemtped to apply a BS-detector to the press-releases either. There are some parts of town that getting worse service from next week (eg Newcastle on Sunday).

If someone wanted to be really mean, they could contact the council and ask when www.GalwayCityBus.ie is going to be updated :D But in fairness, the council aren't responsible for providing public transport.

And a suggestion: next week, when chaos reigns, don't take it out on the bus-drivers or the staff in BE's office. They're going to be stressed enough as it is, and it wasn't their idea.

antoobrien wrote: »
    I can't find anything more detailed than the one linked from the main BE page which doesn't mention Bohermore at all:
    Ballybane Rd - Terminus
    Tuam Rd - Ind Est
    Eyre Square - Stop 5
    University Rd - NUIG
    Gort na Bró - B&Q

What timetable are you looking at?

Its the reverse of that one you have linked Rahoon_EyreSquare_Ballybane.pdf

The route says it goes via
    Gort na Bró - B&Q
    University Rd - NUIG
    Eyre Square - Stop 2
    Bohermore - Spar
    Ballybane Rd - Terminus

Could possibly be a typo.

• Advertisement

Its the reverse of that one you have linked Rahoon_EyreSquare_Ballybane.pdf

The route says it goes via
    Gort na Bró - B&Q
    University Rd - NUIG
    Eyre Square - Stop 2
    Bohermore - Spar
    Ballybane Rd - Terminus

Could possibly be a typo.

Forgive me for stating the obvious but that looks like the same route. If so why are they duplicating their work :confused:

JustMary wrote: »
    And a suggestion: next week, when chaos reigns, don't take it out on the bus-drivers or the staff in BE's office. They're going to be stressed enough as it is, and it wasn't their idea.

Nah, we'll just blame you for not having the answers:D

Forgive me for stating the obvious but that looks like the same route. If so why are they duplicating their work :confused:

They are the same route alright but just in the opposite direction. They are both the 405 route. The one I posted gives you the time if you want to get from say Eyre Square to Ballybane whereas the one you posted doesn't.

They are the same route alright but just in the opposite direction. They are both the 405 route. The one I posted gives you the time if you want to get from say Eyre Square to Ballybane whereas the one you posted doesn't.

I wonder if they know how to use complicated things like multi page documents, there's no need for two timetables. Page 1 from ballybane, page 2 from rahoon.

Nope instead two documents.

I wonder if they know how to use complicated things like multi page documents, there's no need for two timetables. Page 1 from ballybane, page 2 from rahoon.

Nope instead two documents.

Nothing surprises me anymore! Although they do have the countrywide timetables all on one pdf file per route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

God i'm confused :confused:, what bus will facilitate the estates on Siobhan McKenna Road? It used to be the No.5 (405) Rahoon has that now changed to the Newcastle bus (404). I saw a new bus stop being erected across the road from the Laural Park bus stop yesterday so it must have to do with the new route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So far, I'm with you on the "pathetic publicity" front, and the chaos predictions. Also, BÉ have only released the schematic map, not detailed ones, so it's impossible to be 100% sure where some routes go. I've published my predictions - but they are just an individual citizen's best guess.

Not overly impressed with the journalists who havent't even attemtped to apply a BS-detector to the press-releases either. There are some parts of town that getting worse service from next week (eg Newcastle on Sunday).
    Agree on both points.
    Perhaps dont be angry - but express disapointment with lack of information.

Well done on the site galwaytransport.info

From your site the 405 route needs one small tweak. The New Summary Map has it correct but the http://www.galwaytransport.info/2012/02/bus-service-405-rahoon-knocknacarra.html the right turn from N6 onto Upper Newcastle Road can not take place here on the inbound service 405.

Best of luck Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I have no idea why they haven't put notices next to every timetable in Eyre Square (at the very least), and in all buses. I hope the drivers and the inspector have braced themselves for the onslaught of very confused and annoyed passengers next week.. I don't envy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

So there merging the number 8 to mervue with the number 5 to Ballybane?

So there merging the number 8 to mervue with the number 5 to Ballybane?

They haven't been totally clear.

But I think that they're merging 8 and 3, so the 403 goes up Monivea Rd, ducks into Mervue shops, whizzes thru Castlepark before zooming out to Briarhill and scooting to Parkmore ... then does the same thing in reverse).

And I think that the new 405 will go past Liosban (like the old 3), then down Connelly Ave past the Crown site, Coviden, etc to Mervue church, turn left then go up Ballybane Rd to turn around in Ballybrit industrial. (No idea if it's going to go into the estate right away though, the turn-around in there isn't built yet.)

But these are simply best guesses based on what I, and others here, have seen on the network map and timetables.

But I think that they're merging 8 and 3, so the 403 goes up Monivea Rd, ducks into Mervue shops, whizzes thru Castlepark before zooming out to Briarhill and scooting to Parkmore ... then does the same thing in reverse).

And I think that the new 405 will go past Liosban (like the old 3), then down Connelly Ave past the Crown site, Coviden, etc to Mervue church, turn left then go up Ballybane Rd to turn around in Ballybrit industrial. (No idea if it's going to go into the estate right away though, the turn-around in there isn't built yet.)

But these are simply best guesses based on what I, and others here, have seen on the network map and timetables.

I can't see any bus that goes up wellpark (past the moneen) because it looks like the 403 is unchanged and #8 is cancelled.

Wanna take the bet that there's absolutely no change to the 403 route?

Anyhows, I just got hold of a copy of the sentinel, there's an article on page 11.

Summary:
    changes to 402, 404, 408
    New route 410
    No mention at all of #8/408
    No mention of any changes to 403
    Real time passenger info (PTRI) to be introduced later in the year

Seacrest to Eyre Sq (unchanged)
    Eyre Square to Duggans (Renmore) - Lisbeg Lawns - Dawn Daries - Merlin Park Hospital

From Westside SC via Sibhan McKenna Rd (behind Westside Sc) - Thomas Hyns Rd - Newcastle Rd - Eyre Sq (presumably via University Rd, though not stated)

B&Q via the Bus lanes on SQR (so that's what the rush is with getting the surfacing done) to Eyre Square, again presumably by University Rd. From there it goes via to the Trappers, then along connoly ave, following the existing route.

I just checked the route plan for the 405 on a bus eireann notice in yesterdays advertiser and the old mervue shops are now listed on it's route.

Glad to hear the Mervue shops are going to have a service going to them. Might be worried otherwise that local shops like that might die out, if inaccessible.

I noticed yesterday that the bus stops between the Wellpark shopping area and the FAS centre had no signs saying they were not going to be in use any more. Wondered if this meant they'd been overlooked or if some service was still running that stretch.

3 heads off towards the Trapper Inn above that stretch, not sure where the 5's going.
    But maybe I'm thinking more of old route for 3. Not taken in what new one is.

there was an odd 5 route at some time during the day that followed a bit of that 3 route, went down the Tuam rd at least but then dropped down via Tesco's not sure what the story there was. Or why i wound up on it, possibly had just been walking somewhere near Mervue Church when it was passing. Was that a daily service?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Had a conversation with a driver this morning about the changes. I told him about my concerns, and he said that they were valid and that he'd bring them up with (someone..). It seemed like those (very bloody obvious) issues hadn't been thought of before, but he also said that it's not Bus Éireann wanting to make these changes but the National Transport Authority, so he said to contact them with feedback as well.

Seemingly they (the NTA) consulted with Galway City Council and Galway County Council and Bus Éireann as well as local residents (which local residents, I don't know).

I told him to brace himself for very confused and annoyed passengers..

Have since sent an email to the NTA inquiring about their role in it and asked to be directed to someone who can answer my questions and take my feedback. Will be doing the same with Bus Éireann.

(also there are no timetables up for today as they've put up the new ones so keep that in mind if ye're out and about and haven't them off by heart!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

For students attenfding GMIT it appears that the Newcastle bus no longer goes to there, the old one did, you could go from Newcastle to the GMIT, is this correct or am I reading this wrong

Storm 10 wrote: »
    For students attenfding GMIT it appears that the Newcastle bus no longer goes to there, the old one did, you could go from Newcastle to the GMIT, is this correct or am I reading this wrong

The now route 404 is no longer cross city.The Merlin Park route has been merged in with the 202 to Renmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Anyone tried the new routes today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I've tried looking at that route planner and it's a joke. So from what I can see the stop outside Cluain Mhuire isn't in use anymore?

Asmodean wrote: »
    So from what I can see the stop outside Cluain Mhuire isn't in use anymore?

Yeah, it is: the 403 has taken over the old 8 route as far as Mervue shops, then after that it goes to Castlepark, Briarhill and Parkmore. Reverses it all on the way back to town.

If anyone's going to Liosban, they need the 405 Ballybane, not the 403. Can see that causing some confusion in the morning.

But if you're heading to Ballybrit Industrial, the 403 (or the HP factory bus) are still the options: unlike my original prediction (and the published summary map and press releases), it seems that the 405 is still turning around in the block around Mervue church, for now anyway. That may change when the Morris RAB work is finished.

City buses page has been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I can see many positives about the 410 service but, going by the map on the BE site, the bus runs only to the Galway side of Oranmore village. In recent years, the residents on the Limerick side have had the benefit of a service which departed directly outside the new church. It meant a shorter walk to the bus for my pensioner mother (and myself when staying in Galway: ahem) and I'm certain it will be missed.
    Oh, well... Roll on progress...

I was wondering about that Cluan Mhuir stop last week as I passed it, that anmd the one near the Wellpark shopping area.
    Does the 3 no longer turn onto the Tuam Rd at the Trapper Inn? that would mean neither Riverside nor the estate beyond that on the Tuam Rd had a bus service connecting them to town surely? & Riverside is a reasonably large area.

Also does the 5 go around the Mervue shopping area from a different direction than the 1 did. I could see it turning up via the factory there on the MIchael Collins rd and up the residential street McDermott Ave which would only mean a slight diversion from its old route. Not sure if current set up on Plunkett Ave would allow bus movement since grass area might be restrictive for a vehicle that length.
    Maybe I need to take the buus to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

So is there any service to Newcastle on Sunday?

deisedude wrote: »

Looks like people in Newcastle are expected to do a bit of walking. Take the 405 and walk the extra 10 or 15 minutes.

Same with college students heading to GMIT. Walk to the 5 and walk the extra bit at the end too.
    Probably not very convenient if you have a lot to carry but may help keep you fit :D

Maybe they expect people to take taxis if they need to carry stuff?

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »

Don't know. Maybe the 405 does a diversion on Sundays.

Re Mervue shops and riverside: new403 does the shops the same way the 8 used to. New 405 does riveeside the same way the three used to

Advertisement