Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus route numbers and timetables from Sun 4 March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Anyone knows what time the 902 is in Renmore now going to E.Sq.? Also previousely some buses went to Merlin Park (from E.Sq) and some didn't. Are all 902 buses going to Merlin Park now? Anyone knows? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

Stevolende wrote: »
    Looks like people in Newcastle are expected to do a bit of walking. Take the 405 and walk the extra 10 or 15 minutes.

Same with college students heading to GMIT. Walk to the 5 and walk the extra bit at the end too.
    Probably not very convenient if you have a lot to carry but may help keep you fit :D

Maybe they expect people to take taxis if they need to carry stuff?

I'll just walk from town then, hardly worth the bother getting the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

JustMary wrote: »
    Don't know. Maybe the 405 does a diversion on Sundays.

Re Mervue shops and riverside: new403 does the shops the same way the 8 used to. New 405 does riveeside the same way the three used to
    But does the 405 not do the shops too as per the BE route map? Need to get it this evening after 8 and the 403 doesnt suit timewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

But does the 405 not do the shops too as per the BE route map? Need to get it this evening after 8 and the 403 doesnt suit timewise.

The 405 comes within about 300 yards of the shops when it goes along connolly ave (the side of thermo king). If you need to get to the shops you can hop off at Royal Tara and walk down pearse ave or at Covidien and walk up mcdermott ave.

But I think that they're merging 8 and 3, so the 403 goes up Monivea Rd, ducks into Mervue shops, whizzes thru Castlepark before zooming out to Briarhill and scooting to Parkmore ... then does the same thing in reverse).

I haven't been on the #3 in a while, but I thought that used to go out along the monivea road from the ballybane roundabout and only go into castlepark on the way back to town (after turning at ballybrit).

Is this change part of the new route or had it changed a while back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Does the 403 stop at the mervue shops on it's way back into town?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

antoobrien wrote: »
    The 405 comes within about 300 yards of the shops when it goes along connolly ave (the side of thermo king). If you need to get to the shops you can hop off at Royal Tara and walk down pearse ave or at Covidien and walk up mcdermott ave.
    Thanks Anto, i need it for going to football at the Mervue Utd all weather pitches so somewhere in the vicinity is perfect.

Thanks Anto, i need it for going to football at the Mervue Utd all weather pitches so somewhere in the vicinity is perfect.

405 brings you down by the church - afaik the entrance to the all weather pitches is behind the flats.

I'd also check if you can get in by the pitch fronting onto the Dublin Rd beside Ryans/Days/The Carlton or whatever the hell they're calling it these days. If that's the case any of the buses serving Renmore & the 409 will also be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

What the town could do with is geographical maps of the bus routes really isn't it? I think the topographical one is a bit confusing.

what i have just had confirmed is that 403 now leaves Eyre square, follows the old 8 or 1 route along College Rd then up via Wellpark Rd, via the Mervue shops then somehow via Castlepark. Think that's been said already but could do with having a handy portable map until I'm familiar with new service.
    So 3 now incorporates what was 1 & 8 route on that side of the square.

This now means that 5 is following the old 3 route once it gets to the top of Bohermore. It heads up the start of the Tuam Rd . It then turns where the 3 used to near the Trapper Inn. But whereas the 3 used to turn left there to go through Monivea Rd and eventually wind up in Ballybrit the new 5 just crosses the Wellpark/Monivea rd and goes down Michael Collins Rd. At least at the moment it does the loop near Mervue Church. It is intended to head up into the Industrial Estate via the roundabout that's currently being worked on. Once that is completed and access is possible the route will change.

That means that getting to GMIT from Rahoon/Newcastle way involves walking part of the way from the 5 route. The 405 no longer goes on the Dublin Rd but is going to be a 5 or 10 minute walk up the Ballybane rd.
    Or getting the 402 from the rd near the Cathedral. i'm assuming that keeps the route from there to Knocknacarra that it used to, down the side of the hospital etc. but am probably assuming wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What the town could do with is geographical maps of the bus routes really isn't it? I think the topographical one is a bit confusing.

You mean like this summary map, that's in Google maps?

Or the detailed route maps linked to from here?

I can understand that you'd like a printed version.

I can't make one - no funding, can't afford the Google-maps licensing fees. (Notice that newspapers here don't use 'em either).

The NTA is working on a big journey planning tool project. Hopefully it will deliver printed to-scale versions.

Re Mervue pitches: Ben, I can understand why you thought you had to catch the Mervue bus. But really it's not the best at all. Check out the New Mervue neighbourhood map for a better idea.

All the neighbourhood maps will get updated with new route numbers etc over the next week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭andy85wsm

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It says it on the timetable! 0700.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

The 403 now stops at the bus stop on the Ballybane road where the 405 pulls in on it's way to Castle Park.The 403 also stops at the Mervue shops on it's way to and from Castlepark.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

sorry i am very confused.which bus now goes closest to ballybrit business park?

i know one of them is suppose to turn at this new thing which hasnt been built yet

liam12989 wrote: »
    sorry i am very confused.which bus now goes closest to ballybrit business park?

i know one of them is suppose to turn at this new thing which hasnt been built yet

The 403, or the special factory bus.

The 405 is supposed to according to the BE map, but isnt going there for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The 403, or the factory bus .... willl link to the latter when im at home.

The 405 is supposed to according to the BE map, but isnt going there for now.

Hi JustMary do you know if the 405 is just using the Roundabout to turn? Where is its Terminus Bus Stop?is it at the entrance to Monivea Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭andy85wsm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It doesn't seem to say it anywhere but fyi the fare to Oranmore is E2.10. I had the usual change for a city bus ready today but had to break the note :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

c_man wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to say it anywhere but fyi the fare to Oranmore is E2.10. I had the usual change for a city bus ready today but had to break the note :)

Why did you think it would be the same as a city bus?
    Wasn't the normal BÉ single fare to Oranmore €3.80? Has there been a decrease as a result of this new service?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why did you think it would be the same as a city bus?

It's a city bus*, and I got charged the ordinary fare on Monday.

Couldn't tell ya about the intercity fare though I seriously doubt they've reduced it.

* vehicular wise :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm so getting UnJustMary onto this.
    I know that the DayPass and the normal city fare does not apply to the Oranmore service - BÉ states it in the little booklet publicising the changes that they handed out. But it does not say how much the Oranmore route costs.

I saw that alright. It's what prompted me to spread the news here.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

pretty frustrating today. waiting for a 403 on the Monivea Rd around the corner from the 405 stop. Knowing there was supposed to be about 5 minutes between due times as estimated from the timetable. Gave up on the 403 went around to the 405 which I thought was due. Only to be standing there when the 403 did turn up about 10 minutes after the time I thought it was due, by which time I was too far away to catch it.
    frustrating thing is having bus stops what's that 300 odd metres away from each other around the corner from each other so you can't really make out which is the best stop to be at.
    You can just about make out a bus heading down Plunkett street if you keep your eyes peeled looking down Pearse street. not sure how long it would take to get from that stop to the 403 stop. & it was raining anyway. Did make it into town in time to do what I needed to in the end.

Hi JustMary do you know if the 405 is just using the Roundabout to turn? Where is its Terminus Bus Stop?is it at the entrance to Monivea Park?

When I caught it on Sunday, it just went around the Walter Macken - Ballybane - St James loop the same way the 5e used to do. Sat at the stop in Ballybane Rd for 10 mins, so I guess that's the terminus.

Hopefully this will change once the RAB works are finished, and they've built the bus-turning-bay in the estate. You can see where it's going to go, in the area where they've cleared the trees just after the Ballybane industrial estate road.

andy85wsm wrote: »

Hmm, I wonder if they're unofficially still sending it via Monivea Rd and Boston Scientific. (or it's possible that the driver just got confused).

I ain't getting up that early to check it out. Hopefully someone else can report back.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Has there been a decrease as a result of this new service?

Found out this evening, no sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

pretty frustrating today. waiting for a 403 on the Monivea Rd around the corner from the 405 stop. Knowing there was supposed to be about 5 minutes between due times as estimated from the timetable. Gave up on the 403 went around to the 405 which I thought was due. Only to be standing there when the 403 did turn up about 10 minutes after the time I thought it was due, by which time I was too far away to catch it.
    frustrating thing is having bus stops what's that 300 odd metres away from each other around the corner from each other so you can't really make out which is the best stop to be at.
    You can just about make out a bus heading down Plunkett street if you keep your eyes peeled looking down Pearse street. not sure how long it would take to get from that stop to the 403 stop. & it was raining anyway. Did make it into town in time to do what I needed to in the end.

Same thing happened to me today in Newcastle. Only for two elderly ladies told me that the bus stop at my estate (Ardilaun Road) is no longer in use, as no bus will be going past it anymore (AND they put up a brand new sign post with nothing in it! Not even telling people that its no longer in use!) Fantastic. Also for the life of me couldn't do the calculations to work out when the bus was due to be at the stop I was standing at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I can see many positives about the 410 service but, going by the map on the BE site, the bus runs only to the Galway side of Oranmore village. In recent years, the residents on the Limerick side have had the benefit of a service which departed directly outside the new church. It meant a shorter walk to the bus for my pensioner mother (and myself when staying in Galway: ahem) and I'm certain it will be missed.
    Oh, well... Roll on progress...

So, apologies: I was wrong about the service bypassing the village. Srsly. Roll on progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me today in Newcastle. Only for two elderly ladies told me that the bus stop at my estate (Ardilaun Road) is no longer in use, as no bus will be going past it anymore (AND they put up a brand new sign post with nothing in it! Not even telling people that its no longer in use!) Fantastic. Also for the life of me couldn't do the calculations to work out when the bus was due to be at the stop I was standing at.

Assuming you were waiting for a 405, I would have thought 5 minutes after they left the terminus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

lxflyer wrote: »
    Assuming you were waiting for a 405, I would have thought 5 minutes after they left the terminus?

Waiting for the 404, then went down to the now dead bus shelter where the old 4 and 5 used to both stop, and neither of them will be now.

Its listed as 4 minutes after the terminus(I think) and then when your looking at the timetable at 4ish o clock in the afternoon, you have to add 45 mins on to 7.20am, until you get to close to 4ish o clock! Just takes getting used to I suppose, and then real time signs will come in handy!

Advertisement