Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus route numbers and timetables from Sun 4 March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

JustMary wrote: »
    Re the real time signs ... yeah, great, we're getting 20 of them. How many bus stops do you think we have ... hmmm, I wonder if I should run a contest to see who can pick the locations. ;)

Just my thoughts, and the ones without are just left in the dark as usual!

I'm wondering also how a bus, lets say, the 402, is supposed to be at, lets say Colmcille Road, at, lets say 11.49, when every single bus in the city has a different time on it's digital clock? I walked onto the 409 today and the time on the bus was 06.13, it was like 11.40? I'm also taking the presumption that the drivers don't sync their watches in the mornings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Indeed. I've made a generic chart of "what time is every 40 minutes".

One of every 45 minutes is on the way too. Hopefully will get it up tomorrow.

Fair play. This is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Hiya,

Before the new schedule bus no. 9 (now 409) went via the Monivea Rd. for the 6.30am departure (from Eyre Sq), but according the new timetable it should follow the standard route ....

Can anyone confirm that the 6.30am bus no. 409 actually follows the standard route via Dublin Rd etc. ??

Cheers,
    Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Double decker on the 403 route on Friday. Hopefully this will be common practice because the new route does be very crowded!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Now if they could only give the drivers some professional training ,a smile and a personality we'd be all set.

Try Dublin Bus for a while and your opinion will change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

took the bus there the other day. first service at 7:30 and every forty mins thereafter. faster to walk and a head wrecker to work out when the next bus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Anyone know what the bus shelters/stops behind the cathederal are for? They seem to have been by-passed with the new city service.

As someone mentioned, if you are waiting at the Abbey for a Newcastle bus at 3:50, when would the next bus be if they leave Eyre Square from about 7am and then every 45 mins after that? You would have to be Einstein to work that out and then traffic would delay it anyway!!!

The new booklet is dreadful:its print is too small by far.

Also I spotted a new bus stop inn upper newcastle on a grass verge just up from St Francis Home. How are people in wheelchairs to access this verge? Where does one stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

bobbyss wrote: »
    Anyone know what the bus shelters/stops behind the cathederal are for? They seem to have been by-passed with the new city service.

As someone mentioned, if you are waiting at the Abbey for a Newcastle bus at 3:50, when would the next bus be if they leave Eyre Square from about 7am and then every 45 mins after that? You would have to be Einstein to work that out and then traffic would delay it anyway!!!

Also I spotted a new bus stop inn upper newcastle on a grass verge just up from St Francis Home. How are people in wheelchairs to access this verge? Where does one stand?

new bus stops do not necessarily mean the bus will stop there. I know there is a new stop on the old no. 7 route that has been built for the last two years, 50 metres from the old one and the bus still does not stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

bobbyss wrote: »

I agree, its dreadful. I haven't got a bus since the new timetable has come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

So one month on, how are people finding the revised services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lxflyer wrote: »

Personally, a real PITA, several services i use have been cut in annoying ways.

Website traffic is goood though .... 200+ visitors perday on weekdays, increase of about 100% :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

lxflyer wrote: »

They have abolished the 418 from Oranmore to the city via the coast road. This is crazy. It was a 15 minute journey. Now we have to get the bus from oranmore to the city via the galway clinic. It takes twice as long and is more expensive.

I recently asked the bus driver if the 418 route is indeed gone and his answer was...

"I'm afraid so, and they call this progress?"

Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Wish they'd check the buses and make sure all bells etc are working. I'm still not sure if when I press the bell and no 'stopping' light shows whether the driver has received any kind of signal. Do i take it they haven't?
    Think there's a cognitive feedback reason for those bells to have a sign light up to acknowledge they've been rung.

Also been wondering what the 3 is going to do when that roundabout on the bypass has been fully converted to a crossroad junction. (which should be any day now) IS it just going to turn right where Monivea rd meets the road through Ballybane, can't see what the alternative would be. Presumably not going to be worth crossing that junction is it?
    Guess the fact there's no bus stop on the Ballybane industrial park side of that junction is indication enough?

EDIT
    Also I get the feeling that that junction the bus emerges from isn't set up for right turning. Whether it will be now that the turn around the roundabout is no longer there I don't know.

Stevolende wrote: »
    Guess the fact there's no bus stop on the Ballybane industrial park side of that junction is indication enough?

They are actually building a bus-stop on that side of the junction, near the ESB station. It's not clear whether this is for the 403 or for the 405 - the published summary from BÉ made some of us thing it's the 405. (Hope it is, they're more frequent, though they take longer).

I'm interested in the comment that someone made about the Oranmore 410 costing more than the 418 used to: can you tell us the actual fares? Also, despite the slightly longer journey time for Oranmore people, I think that an hourly service to the Galway Clinic (a very popular location) is an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

A number of times now I have left home arly in order to catch the bus and it has driven by me on my way to the bus stop, I infuriates me when they depart at for example 07.15 and are due at x at 07.25 but because there is less traffic they zoom by early

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Yeah I thought that was likely to happen when I saw times listed on the bus stops. I've got the 409 several stops beyond where its supposed to be at a certain time & been relieved to do so. But also noticed myself just missing the one before which was on schedule.
    Had walked down a few stops in between and caught the bus at the later bus stop when it should only be making the stop before the one I walked from.

weren't the timetables done from a central source that didn't experience the actuality of bus movement? Had the feeling that came from the transport council or whatever in Dublin.

Did think the likelihood that a bus driver would stop at a stop until the time they were scheduled to be at it was pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

They are actually building a bus-stop on that side of the junction, near the ESB station. It's not clear whether this is for the 403 or for the 405 - the published summary from BÉ made some of us thing it's the 405. (Hope it is, they're more frequent, though they take longer).

I'm interested in the comment that someone made about the Oranmore 410 costing more than the 418 used to: can you tell us the actual fares? Also, despite the slightly longer journey time for Oranmore people, I think that an hourly service to the Galway Clinic (a very popular location) is an improvement.
    It's €3.60 single and €5 return from Oranmore to Eyre square for an adult, on bus eireann there is no student rate which is really annoying. Citylink student rate is €2.20 (single) Oranmore - Fairgreen, it's quicker too. I think it's €3 or €3.20 for adult single on citylink.

I'm pretty sure that I saw a statement in their publicity that only the end-points are fixed times. The intermediate ones are indications only.

But you're right that there is a certain lack of intelligence about the timetables: trips that take 1/2 an hour at normal times don't have any extra time allowed during the peak periods. And bus-frequencies are the same at peak times, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

But you're right that there is a certain lack of intelligence about the timetables: trips that take 1/2 an hour at normal times don't have any extra time allowed during the peak periods. And bus-frequencies are the same at peak times, too.

I don't have to worry about that usually with routes passing either side of my estate, although a bit of guesswork is involved on a Sunday for example, when buses aren't that frequent. They can be quite a variance in times there too, but not as much as during the week.

None of these stops with real time info appearing any time soon I suppose?

None of these stops with real time info appearing any time soon I suppose?

Media reports say there are 20 of 'em coming to Galway later in the year.

I've been considering taking bets on where exactly they'll be located.

• Advertisement

I've been considering taking bets on where exactly they'll be located.
    5/4 that half of them will be within a short walking distance from town at stops on the inbound route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

5/4 that half of them will be within a short walking distance from town at stops on the inbound route.

Decimal odds please.
    They'll all be vandalised within six months or rewired to display random lewd phrases.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Decimal odds please.
    They'll all be vandalised within six months or rewired to display random lewd phrases.
    I've been in some seriously dodge places in the UK, but you can usually rely on these to be working at bus stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

1/2 that they're all on the SQR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Considering that the most successful route in Galway, the 409 runs for the most part along the Dublin Road, surely there will be a fair few signs along there? SQR with the new bus lanes will also have to be a good spot, plus Eyre Square (obviously).

Considering that the most successful route in Galway, the 409 runs for the most part along the Dublin Road, surely there will be a fair few signs along there?
    If anything, that's a reason not to have them there. I never look at a timetable. So many buses pass there, you're never long waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

hello,

i'm looking to get out to Dangan track tonight. If i take the 404 newcastle bus where is the nearest stop to the Westwood?

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    hello,

i'm looking to get out to Dangan track tonight. If i take the 404 newcastle bus where is the nearest stop to the Westwood?
    There's one on the Thomas Hynes Rd less than a minute from the Westwood, across from the turn into Tudor Lawn. Map. Also fyi, that stop is on the way out from town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Interestingly the Guards got to licence each individual stop on any route.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/25279-cross-city-bus-service-expected-soon
    CROSS CITY BUS SERVICE EXPECTED SOON

A cross-city bus service, linking the west and east sides of the city should be launched shortly.

City Direct, the company that operates the park n'ride facility at NUIG and other services in Rahoon, are to be awarded the license for the service, which will cross the Quinncentennial Bridge, from the National Transport Authority.

The transport authority said they are waiting for City Direct to provide written permission from Gardai for stops along the route, and that the company are currently completing a feasability study for services along the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Interestingly the Guards got to licence each individual stop on any route.

In fairness the local Gardaí are probably the best authority on where is safe to put a bus stop.

It'd be a bit like Galway City council to put a stop in a spot that lands the bus company in court for being unsafe or obstructing traffic.

Advertisement