Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAYO TURF COMPANY

Options
  • 27-02-2012 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys. Can anybody tell me if they heard of an outfit called 'Mayo Turf'??? I live in Co. Sligo and bought six sealed bags of turf from two guys selling door to door two weeks ago, they convinced me the turf was top notch but instead got six bags of 'wet rubbish turf', was not impressed to say the least. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Did they call you "boss" and have a dearth of documentation?

Did they leave an adddress and landline number for repeat orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Sealed bags? Wonder is that to keep it fresh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have you checked the Companies Registration Office to see who registered the Mayo Turf Company?
    http://www.cro.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Hi Guys. Can anybody tell me if they heard of an outfit called 'Mayo Turf'??? I live in Co. Sligo and bought six sealed bags of turf from two guys selling door to door two weeks ago, they convinced me the turf was top notch but instead got six bags of 'wet rubbish turf', was not impressed to say the least. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I always go for the vac pac stuff myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

What was I thinking asking for advice from Mayo, I can only assume that this kind of behaviour is the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What was I thinking asking for advice from Mayo, I can only assume that this kind of behaviour is the norm.

Behave or you won't be on this forum much longer.

Regards,

Caveat emptor

next time opne a sample bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

In fairness, you bough the preverbial "pig in a poke" from two blokes selling door to door. They could called themselves anything, it's irrelevant. They were scammers, and you were scammed. No point getting angry at the forum.

Sealed bags of turf? Never in all my life (and i eint no spring chicken) have i ever seen a sealed bag of turf, have you?. They never came recommended to you, so when they said, "we're fuppin great we are, and this turf is mighty, the finest MAYO turf evvvah" you were only too happy to part with your money without even looking in a bag.

They lied through their teeth clearly, but you also shoulda used a bit of cop on and opened a bag. Reasonably cheap life lesson learned. Forget about chasing these cowboys, they will change their names on every door step i imagine. I know youre sickened, but learn to let it go, and learn from it would me my advice.

Checked CRO database. No such company or any variation thereof registered.

Perhaps the two vendors were on their way to register the company and just dropped off to sell a few bags to raise the registration fees.

Soemhow I cannot see this scam working at any Mayo door.

Sealed bags indeed - unless the excuse was that turf had to be burned fresh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Maybe you should contact MidWest TUR-FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I buy turf from time to time in my local shop and it is in sealed bags. Good turf though!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I doubt any Mayo man would buy from a company called "Mayo Turf Company" - we all know what Mayo turf is like :D

themadchef wrote: »
    In fairness, you bough the preverbial "pig in a poke" from two blokes selling door to door. They could called themselves anything, it's irrelevant. They were scammers, and you were scammed. No point getting angry at the forum.

Sealed bags of turf? Never in all my life (and i eint no spring chicken) have i ever seen a sealed bag of turf, have you?. They never came recommended to you, so when they said, "we're fuppin great we are, and this turf is mighty, the finest MAYO turf evvvah" you were only too happy to part with your money without even looking in a bag.

They lied through their teeth clearly, but you also shoulda used a bit of cop on and opened a bag. Reasonably cheap life lesson learned. Forget about chasing these cowboys, they will change their names on every door step i imagine. I know youre sickened, but learn to let it go, and learn from it would me my advice.

Thats the thing, I did look into a bag that they had opened in the back of their van, everything looked fine, when I said that the bags were sealed I ment they were sealed like a bag of coal, the bags even had 'Mayo Turf' printed on them. It seemed like a well organised operation fr two scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

You miss your chance there, should have paid them with your piggy bank to see if they opened it first.

Ok, so I was scammed :rolleyes: However I would like to catch up with the two gentlemen who sold me the turf, no doubt Mayo will be circling the wagons as we speak!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Are they not salvagable? Get a couple of pallets and build them into a large reckle, they may dry out over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Thats the thing, I did look into a bag that they had opened in the back of their van, everything looked fine, when I said that the bags were sealed I ment they were sealed like a bag of coal, the bags even had 'Mayo Turf' printed on them. It seemed like a well organised operation fr two scammers.

The bag you looked into was clearly not one of those that you bought. So you did in fact buy several bags of sealed peat without checking inside.

We all learn lessons about being ripped off. I was recently, after buying a gearbox from the internet it turned out it was busted, although I got it exchanged I had to bear the cost of refitting, (a couple of hundred euros).

Lesson learned for me. Bite the bullet Dude. If you want 6 bags next time - call me, you can have some of mine.... and load it yourself.:)

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

, no doubt Mayo will be circling the wagons as we speak!!

Did someone from Mayo bully you at school or something? Jeez. Such a skewed opinion of all Mayo people. Terrible way to go through life.

Oh and you'll got no ham sambo's in Mayo boyo, it's hang sangidches all the way :P (Fire in a packet of Farmer browns an we coulda been talking marriage once upon a time :D).
    TopTec wrote: »
    If you want 6 bags next time - call me, you can have some of mine.... and load it yourself.:)

TT

Fair play to ya.

On that note, i might mention. The feckin tuff cutting machine has been spotted in action :D Good God..... can some one please let the weather know because im not feeling it yet.

*MOD NOTE* - Your not doing yourself any favors by posting comments like that.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement