Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House share

Options
  • 27-02-2012 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi Everyone, I have been living in a house share with my boyfriend for 6months, we live with the owner and another tenant. The other tenant left in mid November, around the first week in December another girl moved into the room and stayed for 6weeks. We have just been informed that there is quite a substantial electricity bill for December/January and the landlord is looking for half of it off of us as she did not get any money off the other girl for it. I realise it is normal for bills to be higher for these months, we had no Christmas tree but we did have a set of led lights which we put on 7or8 times for a few hours, the heating is natural gas and has been set to come on for the same times since we moved in so it has not been used any more or less same goes for the hot water. The oven on Christmas day was the only abnormal usage, but I cant see how this would add over 200euro to the bill. My boyfriend has been out of work since we moved in so he was here most of the time his routine has not changed. The landlord was away for two weeks during this time but this is normal as she spends a lot of time with her partner. It was agreed when we moved in that the bills would be split three ways, I don't see why it should be up to us to make up the loss incurred as a result of her own neglect how should I approach this situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

When yo say the landlord is lookin for half, can you confirm if she wants half from you and your boyfriend, so a quarter each and the landlord pays half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mrsgingernut

It was agreed that the bills would be split three ways when we moved in but now the landlord is looking for us to pay half and she will pay the other half, instead of us paying a third as agreed, this is because she did not get any money off the other girl who moved in for 6weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

this is because she did not get any money off the other girl who moved in for 6weeks.
    Not really your problem. Pay the third, I say. Is the girl still there, or did she move since, and if she has moved since, it's the landlords fault for giving her her deposit back and not withholding any money for bills.

She has moved out and the original tenant returned two weeks ago, as far as I know she did not pay a deposit. I don't want to start a petty thing with the landlord, but I feel it is unfair that she expects us to pick up the last girls tab. When the original tenant moved out in November she left an unpaid bill and we only had to pay the agreed third. I realise this bill is quite high but we did not use much more electricity than we normally would and I cannot think of any reason it would be that high unless there was a problem with a previous estimated bill. I know this might seem quite mean spirited and petty but if we pay the extra money we have nothing to live off for two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

I don't understand how you are paying only one third? If four people live in the house, should that not mean that each person pays a quarter, and so between you, you pay half? It sounds like the owner was being extra generous to start off with and has now realised the error of their ways.
    Also, if your partner is out of work and so in the house all day, while the owner is not even there half the time, surely you are using more electricity.

I think it sounds like you have gotten a great deal up to now and should be grateful!!!

Did the old tenant use more electricity than you? If I were the fourth tenant in this house (whoever, new one, or old one) I would be very pissed off that I was having to pay one third, when you and your partner only pay one sixth each! It seems crazy!

• Advertisement

We were told when we moved in that it would be split three ways to keep it simple as both the owner and the tenant are in relationships and had there partners over to stay. (not my problem if the owner choose to stay away) The circumstances are due to change soon as their partners will both be moving in full time so any unfairness will be evened out. I reckon if we were to break down electricity usage any differences would be marginal, we were told when we moved in the bills averaged out at 300p/m or 100 split three ways so far this has been accurate, I already stated we have not increased our electricity usage since we moved in apart form one set of led lights and the oven on Christmas day. As for the girl who was here for 6weeks I did not keep a record of what electricity she used she could have had the neighbours plugged in for all I know. The issue is, it was agreed we would pay a third and now she is looking for us to pay half. due to her own failure to collect money form the other girl.

Thats what I thought as well solovely, seems like OP was getting a great deal up to now! I suppose there's 2 ways of looking at it, as the landlord is giving such a great deal on bills, just suck it up this once, or insist on sticking to the original agreement. I suppose if it's what you agreed then you're well within your rights but yeah, seems petty to me.

We were told when we moved in that it would be split three ways to keep it simple as both the owner and the tenant are in relationships and had there partners over to stay. (not my problem if the owner choose to stay away) The circumstances are due to change soon as their partners will both be moving in full time so any unfairness will be evened out. I reckon if we were to break down electricity usage any differences would be marginal, we were told when we moved in the bills averaged out at 300p/m or 100 split three ways so far this has been accurate, I already stated we have not increased our electricity usage since we moved in apart form one set of led lights and the oven on Christmas day. As for the girl who was here for 6weeks I did not keep a record of what electricity she used she could have had the neighbours plugged in for all I know. The issue is, it was agreed we would pay a third and now she is looking for us to pay half. due to her own failure to collect money form the other girl.

sorry, we posted at the exact same time! This changes things a bit, the issue of you guys being a couple and paying a third has been raised and specifically agreed upon as fair. I presume the landlord has bills in her name and collects money from everyone else? Maybe offer to pay a little extra, but not the full half as a compromise? It's a difficult situation, money issues so often cause arguments.

Advertisement