Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog whining in crate at night

• 27-02-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

He's a Golden Retriever. 11 months old. Loved the crate from Day 1. Sleeps in it every night, not a peep out of him.

However, one night last week, I woke at 4am to the sound of him whining :( I ignored him and he stopped after about 10 mins. Not a bother on him the next morning.

And last night he started whining and barking at 4.30am!!! I came up to him because I was afraid he might need to go to the loo so I went outside with him for 15 mins but he didn't go! I put him back in the crate and he whined for a bit but settled eventually (it took me 2 hours to go back to sleep!)

He gets plenty of exercise, he's eating and drinking and seems fine in himself.

It's hardly separation anxiety all of a sudden is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Have ya tried bringing him for a walk before he goes into the crate? Might have more energy the last while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

His body clock could be a bit off. It's getting brighter a bit earlier so he could think it's time to get up.

I'd also take everything out of the crate, make sure he's not brought anything in that could be annoying him under his blankets, make it nice and cosy again and throw a sheet or duvet cover over it to keep it dark and help block out the noise of birds. Close curtains and all the windows. Basically you're trying to make sure he STAYS asleep for as long as possible.

It might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Weird that's nearly the same thing happening us? suddenly he's up and barking at 4am on the dot.

we think it was because of a neighbour leaving for work at 4am but its hard to tell. he slept through last night because he was tired, so try walking him later in the evenings and no naps before bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

our retriever has done this a few times, though he doesnt sleep in a crate , a few times the wind was howling and i think he was scared and the other times were nightmares ,he was fine once we reassured him and went back to sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

Doesn't sound like he's "loving" the crate.

People who bring a dog into their house and store it in a cage shouldn't have brought it in, in the first place.

<Banned>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Helen1976

quietriot wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like he's "loving" the crate.

People who bring a dog into their house and store it in a cage shouldn't have brought it in, in the first place.

Cheers for that gem. Go cause a quiet riot somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My Boxer is the same at the moment, I am lucky because I have black out blinds in my room where is sleeps so he doesn't seem to notice the light at early as four AM but he is up at 6:30 every morning looking for his breakfast. He usually sleeps until 7:30. He is my new alarm clock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

Helen1976 wrote: »
    Cheers for that gem. Go cause a quiet riot somewhere else.
    Well you certainly won't find me making my dogs cry out loud by locking them in a box for hours every night.

quietriot wrote: »
    Well you certainly won't find me making my dogs cry out loud by locking them in a box for hours every night.

Can I ask what exactly you know about crate training or is your dislike for them simply an emotional reaction to the idea of a cage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Is the crate needed at 11 months though? I didn't find it helpful, my dog was waking me up a lot in the night, and very early first thing in the morning. Stopped using it and he sleeps much better.

• Advertisement

It depends on the dog, at 11 months the dog is still young enough to get up to mischief and have the odd accident. My two have never cried in their crate. Most nights I leave them open and they have the choice of the couch or their crates and more often than not, they stay in their crates.

When we got Phoenix the crate was absolutely essential to make sure he got enough rest to heal and get well.

When we have people stay over they are closed into it in case someone wants to come down for water or something and the boys start getting excited about someone being up in the middle of the night. Again, they don't seem to mind at all.

It's also god-sent when we go away, they instantly settle anywhere once they are in their crates.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Helen1976

What Whispered said!

There wasn't a peep out of him last night so hopefully it was a once-off!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Whining in a crate? Bet you would too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I definitely think it has something to do with the changes in the daylight. I posted a thread on this back in September. I have noticed in the last few days she is starting to whine at 6.30 in the morning. now I know she is well able to hold out without going to the toilet so I have been ignoring her, she is just awake and wanting attention but the mornings are definitely getting brighter (even with a blanket over the crate!).

For the record to all those who say crates are cruel, my dog loves hers. On the days we leave her in the house she goes into the crate to sleep rather than using her bed in the kitchen cos she loves the crate so much, she has had it since she was a baby and we trained her to like it from the start so it's definitely not cruel!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056382153

Again I will ask - what do you know about crate training?

EDIT:Noddyone not the post above mine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I used to be firmly in the 'Crates are Cruel' camp - until it was necessary to get some travel boxes. Tegan loved it from the start, Rani took a bit of convincing (getting her in used to be a 3 person job; one to hold the treat, one to shove her in, one to close the gate).

These days I can't even put the crates together in peace. As soon as I take them out Rani runs over and sits on top of them, delighted. There's always one set up in the living room and Tegan likes to go in there to get away from it all. I would have no hesitation in using it overnight; and I probably will for since her toilet training has gone to pot since the neighbour's dog came to stay.

As long as they are introduced properly dogs love crates; they are lovely little cosy hidey caves.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

my dogs are very unsettled too.

kylith wrote: »
    As long as they are introduced properly dogs love crates; they are lovely little cosy hidey caves.

You know those kids bunk beds with the tent over them - they remind me of them. :D

Advertisement