Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double check this order

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Is a single 64GB hard drive enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nirnias

It is for the OS with a bit to spare.

Also regarding your graphics card this is just personal preference but iv never believed in paying that much for 1 card.. You could buy Two cards at 1GB each for 300 euro and still out perform any game on the market for the next year or 2. Its up to your of course. But why spend 500 euro on 1 card (that might become faulty somewhere down the line) when you can pay much less for 2 cards, get the same result and have a back up ready in case 1 fails.

Just set them up for SLI or Crossfire, depending on what brand you go for.

Also you could get double the RAM for 96 euro on Komplett.
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/08_MEMINT/03_DDR3/productdetails/20091387/Corsair_Vengeance_LP_16GB_1600MHz_PC3_12800/CML16GX3M4A1600C9/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Nibs05

deconduo wrote: »
    Is a single 64GB hard drive enough?

Don't think I could fit the m4 128 gb in the budget, it will be used for booting the os and the most popular games I play, the rest can go on mechanical drive.

Nirnias wrote: »

Also regarding your graphics card this is just personal preference but iv never believed in paying that much for 1 card.. You could buy Two cards at 1GB each for 300 euro and still out perform any game on the market for the next year or 2. Its up to your of course. But why spend 500 euro on 1 card (that might become faulty somewhere down the line) when you can pay much less for 2 cards, get the same result and have a back up ready in case 1 fails.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/08_MEMINT/03_DDR3/productdetails/20091387/Corsair_Vengeance_LP_16GB_1600MHz_PC3_12800/CML16GX3M4A1600C9/default.aspx

Yes I was thinking about that, I was going to stick 2x1gb 6950s in but im only using 1 monitor so it's pointless, there are cheaper 7970 on hwvs but the sapphire got the best reviews.

16 gb is proberly over kill for what I'll be using it for.

Cheers for the advice though

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Don't think I could fit the m4 128 gb in the budget, it will be used for booting the os and the most popular games I play, the rest can go on mechanical drive.

Yeah, but do you have a mechanical drive? You said you don't have any parts from a previous build and there's no other drive in your order.

• Advertisement

Nirnias wrote: »

Given the performance of the 7970, there's no reason to go for crossfired cards instead. Even 2x6950s which would cost the same amount barely reach it performance wise and come with all the problems associated with crossfire.

Also why pay €96 for 16GB of RAM when he's paying €38 for 8GB, especially as 16GB doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

Yeah, but do you have a mechanical drive? You said you don't have any parts from a previous build and there's no other drive in your order.

It's mentioned on the top of my first post, I have a 1tb external drive that can be removed from its housing, had a look already and has sata connectors.

Looks ok to go ahead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nirnias

Cause 16GB is better than 8Gb :P and if he switched to cheaper cards would still save money, Wudnt get the 16GB with the 500 euro card also.. Its down to preference as i said, not slating his choice. He has an awesome build. But what im saying is you wouldnt see the difference performance wise himself. Not unless he went and did a load of tests and stresstested his machine with FurMark or something. Then maybe. But when he is running games i doubt much of a difference will be seen.

I got the 16GB cause i use Virtual machines alot on my main PC so need the extra RAM.

It's mentioned on the top of my first post, I have a 1tb external drive that can be removed from its housing, had a look already and has sata connectors.

Looks ok to go ahead ?

Ah I missed that. Just a warning that its probably a green drive then, which is fine for music/videos/pictures/documents. However you might get some slowdown if you have any newer games on it, especially FPS games.

Apart from that it looks fine.

Ah I missed that. Just a warning that its probably a green drive then, which is fine for music/videos/pictures/documents. However you might get some slowdown if you have any newer games on it, especially FPS games.

Apart from that it looks fine.

Thanks Deconduo, I'll have a look again at the drive later and post the specs and see what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

The HD7950 is €100 cheaper, you might be better spending that money on a monitor, maybe a dell U2412M?

Just a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

^ Very good advice right there. That's what I'd do.

Thanks Deconduo, I'll have a look again at the drive later and post the specs and see what it is.

Deconduo,

It's a seagate barracuda 7200.12, the model is a ST31000528AS , I can't see anything on the drive or on the web to determine if it's a green, I don't think it is.

Markd250 wrote: »
    The HD7950 is €100 cheaper, you might be better spending that money on a monitor, maybe a dell U2412M?

Just a thought!

Ok took your advice and duconduo's on boand came up with this build, if I went with a 7950 I can get the U2412M but is out of stock, Im also going to stectch the budget and upgrade to a 120gb m4, so I'm happy !

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,388.52 + €30 shipping
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower black Window, ohne Netzteil|€57.87
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€69.86
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€113.16
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€188.78
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€38.45
    ASUS DRW-24B3LT Retail SATA schwarz Nero 9.0|€21.64
    Lian Li Aluminium-Cardreader CR-25B, schwarz|€15.60
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.76
    2 x BitFenix Spectre 120mm Lüfter Blue LED - black|€6.29
    2 x BitFenix Spectre 140mm Lüfter Blue LED - black|€9.25
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M (schwarz)|€253.98
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€409.99
    Crucial M4 Slim 128GB SATA 6GB's 6,4cm (2,5")|€154.35

Should be ok now to go with this when the dell is in stock ?

The silver 2412 is in stock, if you don't mind the colour.

Serephucus wrote: »
    The silver 2412 is in stock, if you don't mind the colour.

Yea I seen that, I'm not 100% on the colour, if the stand was silver it might look a nicer set, I'll proberly order by Friday so I'll think about it until then. Just a quick question on ips, is it worth the extra few quid ?

Hell yes. I switched from TN to IPS last year, and I'm never going back. When you think of how cheap there 2412 is in comparison to something like the 2410, it's a no-brainer, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

Looks like a demon build, I'm jealous!

Well guys, ive just ordered this (sorry for all the builds I posted earlier) Gone €140 over budget but I think it's a rig that will last a couple of years.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,410.78 + €30 shipping
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower black Window, ohne Netzteil|€57.87
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€69.86
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€113.16
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€188.78
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€38.45
    MSI R7950-2PMD3GD5/OC, 3072MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€408.65
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€162.74
    ASUS DRW-24B3LT Retail SATA schwarz Nero 9.0|€21.64
    Lian Li Aluminium-Cardreader CR-25B, schwarz|€15.60
    2 x BitFenix Spectre 120mm Lüfter Blue LED - black|€6.29
    2 x BitFenix Spectre 140mm Lüfter Blue LED - black|€9.25
    3 x Good Connections® SATA 6Gb/s Anschlusskabel mit Metallclip, 1m|€1.67
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.76
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M (silber)|€264.18

Thanks for everyone's help, hopefully things will go smoothly with the order and building, I'll let you know when it's finished and post a few photos.

Looks like a very nice build indeed. Congrats.

• Advertisement

Just a small update and a question.

Bank transfer has been recieved by hwvs, but a couple of my items are out of stock on the website, including the i5 with no date for it to go back to stock, just asking, would I have to wait for it to come into stock?

You have the 2500K box, you could go for the 2500K tray. It's basically the same price, but it doesn't come with a stock cooler (which doesn't matter to you as you're using a third-party one anyway)

Any other items?

(Yeah, you'd have to wait for items to come back in stock otherwise)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

One thing I'll say about the metal clip connections: ensure you have a non-metal clip connection, as the metal clip cable didn't fit into my SSD.

You have the 2500K box, you could go for the 2500K tray. It's basically the same price, but it doesn't come with a stock cooler (which doesn't matter to you as you're using a third-party one anyway)

Any other items?

(Yeah, you'd have to wait for items to come back in stock otherwise)

Would they be ok changing the order at this stage

Yea just the sata cables there due in stock the 3rd march though

the_syco wrote: »
    One thing I'll say about the metal clip connections: ensure you have a non-metal clip connection, as the metal clip cable didn't fit into my SSD.

If that is the case I can just use the cables I get with the mobo, just wanted all the cables the same colour.

You'll get SATA cables with your motherboard, so you didn't need to order extra ones (unless you're planning on using a lot of drives; sometimes they only give your four or six cables, even though your board might have eight or something)

If it's the third though, you might as well wait. When's the 2500K due in?

You'll get SATA cables with your motherboard, so you didn't need to order extra ones (unless you're planning on using a lot of drives; sometimes they only give your four or six cables, even though your board might have eight or something)

If it's the third though, you might as well wait. When's the 2500K due in?

It dosnt say, it's says delivery late, New date requested

I thought asrock only included 2 sata cables ? (edit checked unboxing on utube it only has 2)

Yup, you're right, you only get two cables with it. That's a little annoying. From the build above though you're only running an SSD and optical drive, so you could get by without others for the moment. Then again, it is only a day or two. The processor would be my concern. Maybe call them (make sure to ask for an English-speaking rep) and see if they'll change it for you. It's about €1.50 more expensive, but they should be able to work something out.

Yup, you're right, you only get two cables with it. That's a little annoying. From the build above though you're only running an SSD and optical drive, so you could get by without others for the moment. Then again, it is only a day or two. The processor would be my concern. Maybe call them (make sure to ask for an English-speaking rep) and see if they'll change it for you. It's about €1.50 more expensive, but they should be able to work something out.

Just of the phone, they have the i5 ready for me as soon as the cables come in it will be dispatched. All is good !

• Advertisement

This is getting weird, the i5 2500k box is now back in stock, but the monitor is now sold out, I hope they reserve the items I ordered.

Advertisement