Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New shop in Blanchardstown Retail Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

leggo wrote: »
    I get that post, to be fair. It's put me off trying the place so far (though if it's on my doorstep I probably will).

It's become the done thing for all the 'trendy' kids to go on and on and on about how good Nandos is. I remember a couple of months ago my Facebook feed was absolutely destroyed with people either checking in there or saying "mmm so hungry want a Nando's!!!!" It's like The Wright Venue in that it's more about saying you're going there like it's a sign of social status, or part of a club, than actually just eating (or having a good night out, in the case of Wright's). It's quietened down a bit (for now) but it absolutely wrecked my head a few months back.

That is still quite a pathetic reason for not wanting a restaurant they'd actually like going to setting up on their doorstep.

I'm guessing these 'trendy' people are early to mid twenties and use the word 'like' a lot in their sentences (and not in the context of actually liking something)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Where did I say I didn't want one to be set up? :confused: I believe I said that I'd probably try it now that it's on my doorstep.

It just put me off trying it originally because just seeing the word Nando's began to irritate me. Word-of-mouth can backfire like that sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I love the irony of the Nandos going in next to the McDonalds - it's going to be utter class warfare carnage there. The McDonald's in the centre is probably one of the most depressing places I have ever been in...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

nando's is made like a trend now among stupid idiots that say"yolo" "winning" and that take pictures of their food with their iphones , thats my problem , nothing wrong with nados at all and have no problem with anyone going cause they like the food but that just annoys the fcukin sh*t out of me , well among people my age anyway, i see and hear it constantly!!!the word nando's becomes a trend and people feel the need to say they went/they're going

my post wasnt aimed at the general public that are just going in to dine , it was aimed at people who specifically make it their business to "trend it". iv been listening to peoples re-action to the place opening an dmost of it was"im so going there every day" re-actions like that, but in reality the people i asked only ate in nando's once!!! it may be nice but its over priced ,its not the best tho! i use go out to dundrum for nado's cause it was worth it but now i relized better places in town that arent ruined by a trend being set and the price

I'm not having a go at everyone who likes Nando's. For example, in this topic? It's appropriate, since it's largely about Nando's.

It was more the Facebook trend that emerged a couple of months back. I like Eddie Rockets but don't feel the need to tell the world every...single...time I step into one. I also like being fellated, it doesn't mean that every time I'm not being fellated I need to advertise it to the world just to show how much I'd like it to be happening right now.

And yet there's something about Nando's that makes (well, made, like I said it's calmed down a bit) people feel the need to broadcast whenever they're eating or craving it. Maybe it's because everyone else was doing so and they wanted to show they were part of the 'Nando's crowd' too?

it just seems to be nando's and no where else!!! its like a cool "trend" to do and go to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Where did I say I didn't want one to be set up? :confused: I believe I said that I'd probably try it now that it's on my doorstep.

It just put me off trying it originally because just seeing the word Nando's began to irritate me. Word-of-mouth can backfire like that sometimes.

well NANDO'S been around since 87,,,

yeah it has been around since then but not in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think the same trend setting and backlash is directed at places like Starbucks, Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch. If people like the product or service at those places, by all means freqent them. I do agree there is a social status element among some people to publicly rave about them and equally a social status element among others to actively despise such places and broadcast their dislike.

I only went to Nandos once in London in March and must admit my decision to go there was partially due to all the attention I heard about it. The food was absolutely fine but nothing to rave about and I also thought it was overpriced for what you were getting. Saying that, it will be a nicer chicken alternative to KFC in D15!

also my points is , look at the Starbucks in the ilac now on the north side , before that opened the stores where on the south side! not everybody on the north is seen with a Starbucks cups in their hands , preferably "the huns" or trend setters or indie kids that try make it a statement of fashion to have one in their hands :P iv lived and worked around town for the past 3 years and iv noticed it ever since it opened, when it wasn't on the north side all people had was costa/mc donalds/insomnia cups in their hands,it wasn't cause it was close and Starbucks wasn't near but the type of crowd that iv seen over the years that now carry Starbucks products, never use to get it from over on the south side when it was there all along, any way, my point is , its all about product ,trending a brand and hyping it through groups .

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

I see just as many Insomnia cups around as I do Starbucks. Don't care. Love nothing better than making my girlfriend hold my grande Caramel Frappuchino with coffee base and whipped cream on top while I'm driving.

But yeah, not mad on Nando's. I went to the one in Dundrum when I was out there once, and didn't think much. I love my food good'n'spicy, but I didn't get any sort of taste of that piri piri sauce. I'll have to try something else and see how I get on.

Also, can't imagine people walking around and eating it. Rarely see anyone walking around munching away on a Steakhouse Angus meal from BK, like.

• Advertisement

JoePie wrote: »
    I see just as many Insomnia cups around as I do Starbucks. Don't care. Love nothing better than making my girlfriend hold my grande Caramel Frappuchino with coffee base and whipped cream on top while I'm driving.

But yeah, not mad on Nando's. I went to the one in Dundrum when I was out there once, and didn't think much. I love my food good'n'spicy, but I didn't get any sort of taste of that piri piri sauce. I'll have to try something else and see how I get on.

Also, can't imagine people walking around and eating it. Rarely see anyone walking around munching away on a Steakhouse Angus meal from BK, like.

i work in town and see people eating from the take out bag regularly!!

also what annoys me is that people call it fine dining or what ever but its not, u pay for your food when ordering then go try find a seat which your not guaranteed the full amount of seats you need!!! i know its is the same bracket as a fast food place like burger king or mc'd's but for the price you pay for the food you'd expect more, and nando's is small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

never tried it but i will give it a go.. as for buying products in starbucks just so i can be seen with the cup????? jesus do people actually do this. maybe i am getting on a bit. i would go around with a pennys cup of tea cup as long as i had a cup of bloody tea.

never tried it but i will give it a go.. as for buying products in starbucks just so i can be seen with the cup????? jesus do people actually do this. maybe i am getting on a bit. i would go around with a pennys cup of tea cup as long as i had a cup of bloody tea.

I think it's an early to mid 20s, Facebook generation thing. I'm like you, if I like something or if I need something I'll buy it. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks or says

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

A V A wrote: »
    also what annoys me is that people call it fine dining or what ever but its not, u pay for your food when ordering then go try find a seat which your not guaranteed the full amount of seats you need!!! i know its is the same bracket as a fast food place like burger king or mc'd's but for the price you pay for the food you'd expect more, and nando's is small

whinge whinge WHINGE

amdublin wrote: »
    whinge whinge WHINGE

"yolo" ;) hahaha dont forget your snapback

I think it's an early to mid 20s, Facebook generation thing. I'm like you, if I like something or if I need something I'll buy it. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks or says

its an early 20's thing . trust me people do it ,just for the image and trend . . . muppets!!!

A V A wrote: »
    its an early 20's thing . trust me people do it ,just for the image and trend . . . muppets!!!

I was including people who get upset at people trying to be trendy as well...!!!

Article in today's Irish Times confirming Nando's arrival and also the opening of a 2nd KFC (in the old Pizza Hut unit).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0718/1224320295743.html
    New line-up at Blanchardstown

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Which unit is Boots taking over?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

January wrote: »
    Which unit is Boots taking over?

Isn't there a huge one going between HMV and River Island?

• Advertisement

That section of the centre is going to be like a food court, well a food court without seats!

There's going to be McDonalds, Nandos, BK, Eddie Rockets and KFC all within spitting distance of each other

i think they should turn it into a food court like Liffey valley , i think it would look good !!!

is that odean cinema any use now?? and is the isence just a clearer picture in the cinema or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ongarboy wrote: »
    Article in today's Irish Times confirming Nando's arrival and also the opening of a 2nd KFC (in the old Pizza Hut unit).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0718/1224320295743.html
    New line-up at Blanchardstown

<snip>

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sorry folks, I've had to remove that article as we can't reproduce newspaper articles in full thanks to the wonderful Mr. Sherlock. Links to articles are perfectly fine however.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Anyone know where the Yankee Candle Store is going in the centre??

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

sambora wrote: »
    Anyone know where the Yankee Candle Store is going in the centre??

Didn't know they were going in,, i say maybe one of the boots stores, when they move over to the big one.

I see the Timberland store didn't last long in the SC. It now has Mexx Opening Soon on the windows. Also, did I see the Millets outdoor store vacant the last time I was passing or was it another store? Seems like outdoorsy type fashion is not in vogue in D15 these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres another one opened mountain gear or something over beside the petshop. Always quiet though.

I used Millets a lot. But the staff were not very interested in selling you anything in there. So I guess people didn't. Always lots of people shopping in there, I guess they couldn't convert the traffic into sales. Because the staff didn't try would be guess.

Timberland was that not a little pricey? Never shopped in there tbh. Seemed to fashion gear not actually outdoor stuff they sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

glossy wrote: »
    Didn't know they were going in,, i say maybe one of the boots stores, when they move over to the big one.

I'm nearly HomeStore More have a Yankee candle section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

BostonB wrote: »
    I used Millets a lot. But the staff were not very interested in selling you anything in there. So I guess people didn't. Always lots of people shopping in there, I guess they couldn't convert the traffic into sales. Because the staff didn't try would be guess.

I always preferred 53 Degrees North, better range of stuff, plus it's Irish owned.

Advertisement