Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New shop in Blanchardstown Retail Park

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

ThisRegard wrote: »
    BostonB wrote: »
    I used Millets a lot. But the staff were not very interested in selling you anything in there. So I guess people didn't. Always lots of people shopping in there, I guess they couldn't convert the traffic into sales. Because the staff didn't try would be guess.

I always preferred 53 Degrees North, better range of stuff, plus it's Irish owned.

I didn't know it was irish owned. Good to know thamks for posting.

But boy is it expe.sive :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I wait for the sales in 53 Degrees North.

They've reduced down to one floor. I can't imagine they are going to last much longer. They never seem to that busy. Though in fairness, they have good stuff and in my experience the staff there are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

BostonB wrote: »
    Timberland was that not a little pricey? Never shopped in there tbh. Seemed to fashion gear not actually outdoor stuff they sold.

You're most likely right. I neve shopped there due to the prices. The clothes always seemed rugged style/desert boots etc which made me think outdoors but I guess I didn't linger too much to notice much of their product when I spotted the prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sodden Pussy

Just recently been into DFS. Talk about ratio of Staff to public!! Counted 12 staff to lil' ol me!! And the prices are on the high side for the quality. I think you end up paying for other people's credit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

glossy wrote: »
    Didn't know they were going in,, i say maybe one of the boots stores, when they move over to the big one.

Yeah they're definitely going into the centre. I'm interested to know where though. I doubt they'd have a big store like Boots size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just recently been into DFS. Talk about ratio of Staff to public!! Counted 12 staff to lil' ol me!! And the prices are on the high side for the quality. I think you end up paying for other people's credit!!

I have to say I found the aggressive sales techniques of the lads in there very off-putting and a little creepy. It might work north of the border but I think down here people will run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

sambora wrote: »
    Yeah they're definitely going into the centre. I'm interested to know where though. I doubt they'd have a big store like Boots size

maybe where sony was !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It said in the article its an external unit(new Nando's) with outdoor seating. Sitting outdoors in Blanch centre is not nice windwise as parts of it are exposed to constant wind tunnel effects!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Kfc is going into the old pizza hut premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

gurramok wrote: »
    It said in the article its an external unit(new Nando's) with outdoor seating. Sitting outdoors in Blanch centre is not nice windwise as parts of it are exposed to constant wind tunnel effects!

And it's where everyone gathers to try give themselves cancer, I couldn't think of a more unpleasant place to eat outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Okocim

The entrances to Blanchardstown Shopping centre are a health hazard with the dangers of passive smoking. Makes me laugh to see people smoking beside the ''Do not smoke here'' signa at the Blue Entrance. The smell of smoke wafts into the inside of the centre as well through the doors. Management of the centre would need to get the finger out and put up designated smoking shelters far away from the entrances. More toilet facilities are needed as well, always a trial to find a free cubicle on a Saturday or Sunday in there. I try to avoid the centre due to the smoking at the entrances. Security guards should be keeping people away from smoking at the entrances and at the trolley bays. Terrible with kids and babies having no choice but to breath in cancerous fumes!!!

Sort it out!!!

Boycott the Shopping Centre in Blanchardstown until they get rid of the cancer danger.

Okocim wrote: »
    The entrances to Blanchardstown Shopping centre are a health hazard with the dangers of passive smoking. Makes me laugh to see people smoking beside the ''Do not smoke here'' signa at the Blue Entrance. The smell of smoke wafts into the inside of the centre as well through the doors. Management of the centre would need to get the finger out and put up designated smoking shelters far away from the entrances. More toilet facilities are needed as well, always a trial to find a free cubicle on a Saturday or Sunday in there. I try to avoid the centre due to the smoking at the entrances. Security guards should be keeping people away from smoking at the entrances and at the trolley bays. Terrible with kids and babies having no choice but to breath in canereous fumes!!!

Sort it out!!!

Boycott the Shopping Centre in Blanchardstown until they get rid of the cancer danger.

I've never noticed this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The entrances to Blanchardstown Shopping centre are a health hazard with the dangers of passive smoking. Makes me laugh to see people smoking beside the ''Do not smoke here'' signa at the Blue Entrance. The smell of smoke wafts into the inside of the centre as well through the doors. Management of the centre would need to get the finger out and put up designated smoking shelters far away from the entrances. More toilet facilities are needed as well, always a trial to find a free cubicle on a Saturday or Sunday in there. I try to avoid the centre due to the smoking at the entrances. Security guards should be keeping people away from smoking at the entrances and at the trolley bays. Terrible with kids and babies having no choice but to breath in canereous fumes!!!

Sort it out!!!

I like how you got more into that rant as it went on there. You went from laughing to blind outrage and boycotting in 0.5 seconds. :pac:

This isn't a problem imo. It's outside, so fair game to smoke, and I've never, ever seen it absolutely crawling with smokers like you'd see outside a Dublin pub/club on a busy night. So it's not difficult for anyone looking to avoid the 'cancerous fumes'. It sounds like you're one of those people who just has a problem with smoking existing at all. And, while that may be well-intentioned I'm sure, the fact is that it does and smokers are more than happy to play by the rules set out to them. This being included in that. Non-issue tbh.

Typical denying tactics! It's a health hazard full stop. If people want to kill themselves by smoking then fine, smoke your brains out, clog up the hospital wards with smoking induced diseases, trouble is you'll probably end up in the bed next to a patient suffering from passive smoking. Well, I suppose you can always use your dying breath to compare the latest sales prices in Blanchardstown Centre.

But I'm making a serious point here. Fine, accomodate smokers in a proper smoking shelter area as all other public buildings have to do, not at the entrances to the shopping centre. It's a health and safety issue for patrons who visit the Blanchardstown Centre. It's an issue for a public health and safety inspector who if paying a visit would find the centre to be in breach of health and safety leglisation or at best be getting around it by a convenient legal loop hole.

As a minimum, if there's a sign saying ''Do not smoke here'' then smokers should have enough cop on not to smoke there...but alas it seems the nicotine has killed a few brain cells...perhaps they can't see the sign..it's only a large sign with large bold lettering after all....an absolute joke!!

If smokers don't have enough cop on not to smoke there, then that's where security should step in.....in fairness, the smoking bins should all be removed, and 4 designated smoking shelters should be built or better still, convert the old bus stop shelter opposite the library and beside the taxi rank into a smoking shelter....no excuses that there's no money to put in the proper facilities.......

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

amdublin wrote: »
    I've never noticed this at all.

I have to agree, and as an asthmatic I do have a problem with people smoking close to me. Personally I think the smoking area outside any pub is far worse because it's generally packed into a small area, whereas the centre has wide open public spaces where people can smoke without causing too many problems for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Typical denying tactics! It's a health hazard full stop. If people want to kill themselves by smoking then fine, smoke your brains out, clog up the hospital wards with smoking induced diseases, trouble is you'll probably end up in the bed next to a patient suffering from passive smoking. Well, I suppose you can always use your dying breath to compare the latest sales prices in Blanchardstown Centre.

But I'm making a serious point here. Fine, accomodate smokers in a proper smoking shelter area as all other public buildings have to do, not at the entrances to the shopping centre. It's a health and safety issue for patrons who visit the Blanchardstown Centre. It's an issue for a public health and safety inspector who if paying a visit would find the centre to be in breach of health and safety leglisation or at best be getting around it by a convenient legal loop hole.

As a minimum, if there's a sign saying ''Do not smoke here'' then smokers should have enough cop on not to smoke there...but alas it seems the nicotine has killed a few brain cells...perhaps they can't see the sign..it's only a large sign with large bold lettering after all....an absolute joke!!

If smokers don't have enough cop on not to smoke there, then that's where security should step in.....in fairness, the smoking bins should all be removed, and 4 designated smoking shelters should be built or better still, convert the old bus stop shelter opposite the library and beside the taxi rank into a smoking shelter....no excuses that there's no money to put in the proper facilities.......

By leal loophole do you mean obeying the law that says people are not allowed to smoke in an enclosed environment and instead making them do it out side?

A previous poster is right, this is a total non issue and I've never smoked a cigarette in my life.

I totally disagree with the above poster, i'm an asmatic as well and it's impossible to enter the shopping centre main building by any entrance without breathing in the fumes of smoke. It's particularly bad at the blue and red entrances and it wafts into the shopping centre itself through the automatic doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is it everywhere in the centre complex except these smoking shelters that you want smoking banned or are you proposing that there's to be no smoking within a certain distance from a door? How big are these shelters going to be by the way?

I don't smoke and I don't allow smoking in my house but I've zero problem with others doing it in the open air. Could someone smoke in the car park in this world of yours, say they're walking from Heatons towards TK Maxx?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I totally disagree with the above poster, i'm an asmatic as well and it's impossible to enter the shopping centre main building by any entrance without breathing in the fumes of smoke. It's particularly bad at the blue and red entrances and it wafts into the shopping centre itself through the automatic doors.

Well your experience is clearly different from mine so we'll just have to agree to disagree as I don't want this discussion to get bogged down in the rights and wrongs of smoking. It's not specifically a D15 issue and there are other forums that a discussion on smoking in public areas is better suited to.

It relates to The Blanchardstown Centre!!!!!!!!! so it's appropriate here. Anyway, I'll leave it at that, no need to personalise the issue, but anyone who goes into the Blanchardstown Centre building can not but be affected by the proven cancer inducing fumes associated with passive smoking given the current situation relating to smoking habits and facilities and or lack thereof at Blanchardstown Centre.

I'll be raising the issue with the relevent decision makers. If it makes people think then thats a start.

I've said enough on this topic here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I've noticed lots of people smoking outside McDonalds even though there are plenty of No Smoking signs. Filthy habit. I have to wade through hordes of people waving their cigarettes around and putting smoke in my face. Eugh!

I hate when I get off a bus and people are standing at the bus stop smoking and I can barely see to step off the bus properly. And sometimes it is so bad I start coughing, and coupled with being blinded by the smoke I am lucky I don't trip and die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

ah ffs,melodramatic?that happens everywhere and you make it sound like a tick haze off smoke where nothing could be seen!!! thats just you havin a problem with people smokin in a general area ,if it was in enclosed area just for smoker then there wouldnt be a problem cause you'd no reason for you to go near it cause you dont smoke, an area should be set aside for yes and something should be done because its not really fair to the patrons going in and out of the centre that dont smoke

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK, end of smoking discussion, it's off-topic for this thread. Back to the OP's original topic of the new shop in Blanch retail park please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

apart from the OT smoking discussion, this thread has evolved into one discussing all new retailers/restaurants etc moving into Blanch SC. Maybe the name of the thread should be renamed to New Stores in Blanchardstown SC? Just an idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I can live with that.

I have to say that this is a smoking hot thread. OH YEAH!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

sambora wrote: »
    Anyone know where the Yankee Candle Store is going in the centre??

Think its the old Dr Herb unit opp O'briens sambo place. Very small, same guy that has the shop in stephens green.

Was in the waterford yankee store last week with OH, it was gigantic. I sat on the sofa and had coffee while she spent the money. House smelling nice now! The shop was the size of a football field (ok exageration, but it was BIG)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

sandin wrote: »
    Think its the old Dr Herb unit opp O'briens sambo place. Very small, same guy that has the shop in stephens green.

Was in the waterford yankee store last week with OH, it was gigantic. I sat on the sofa and had coffee while she spent the money. House smelling nice now! The shop was the size of a football field (ok exageration, but it was BIG)

The new Yankee Candle shop is going in next door to Butler's - I think there used to be a men's suit shop there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

The new Yankee Candle shop is going in next door to Butler's - I think there used to be a men's suit shop there.

It's opened already was in there today, :D

Advertisement