Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fencing farm boundary

• 27-02-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Background: Small out farm of my fathers has been set to another farmer for about 8 years. Farm on other side of the march ditch is also set to another farmer. Both owners are now elderly and retired 10+ years.
    The fence is in bad condition. The farmers taking the land want it improved.

Both farmers spoke to owners and both owners agreed to pay to get it done and split costs.

But, is it not the case that its up to one farmer to maintain fence, so in this case the existing hedge and what there is of a fence is on our side of the ditch. So really is it up to us to pay. I'm not living at home and this has sort of crept up on me. The lad doing the fencing is priced and been given the go ahead to start.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

But, is it not the case that its up to one farmer to maintain fence, so in this case the existing hedge and what there is of a fence is on our side of the ditch. So really is it up to us to pay.

I wouldnt have said so...

We have in the past done this - where the fence costs on the bounds ditch were split 50:50. So it wouldnt be that unusual - especially for a ditch which was very bad. The fence was put up on the top of the ditch then, so as to be in the middle.
    I think in the two cases I remember - one was after both sides reclaimed ground each side and then a new fence was needed, the other was after a fire burned what bushes were making a bit of a fence - so again a new fence was needed.

I would say if the two old lads have agreed it, and both are happy with it - then you would be best keeping out of it, but thats just me. ;)

I wonder did it happen more before, when fences were barbed wire type? Whereas now its mostly electric fence, and so you need to have your own :confused:

PS - where abouts are you from? As "march ditch" is new to me, down here its just called the "bounds ditch" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

I suppose in this case maybe 50:50 is right as its replacing a very bad stretch. Just whins (gorse) and a couple of strands of old wire on rotten posts. My father would say the fella on the other side never put a post or a bit of wire on in his time anyway. Just don't want to end up coming back on us with a bit of bad blood later on.

Your right about the electric fences, a lot more of them these days. The contactor is coming wednesday to put up sheep wire and couple of strands of barbed wire for £870 st. But he does a good job. Will be there for many years.

I'm from Armagh we always called the march around up our way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

50:50 is great and is exactly the right thing to do if everyone is agreeable.

However, make certain that EVERYONE is happy and satisfied that this new fence either correctly defines the boundary between the properties, or if/where it doesn't, that EVERYONE knowledges where it differs and where the boundary truly lies.

This could save a LOT of grief in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

100% agree with Rovi.

Happy neighbour are worth combined weight in gold! Unhappy neighbours will wear each other down until one or both are stuck with a small piece of land, about 8x4 in graveyard!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

Thanks for the replies.

Fencing done on Friday and Saturday, great job. 4 row of barbed wire, 8 ft strainers and good posts, on top of the ditch following line of existing fence. Actually told them to do 70 yards of another ditch when they were at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement