Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i just need a QS? and how do i find one?

Options
  • 27-02-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

We are looking to build a 24m/2 extension. We will need to excavate for foundations plus 2ft as the extension will be lower than existing. We will also need to take away quite a bit of a bank that is behind us, and build a retaining wall.

Would a QS would be able to estimate the works and prepare a plan for groundworks/foundation to enable us to get quotes?

I suppose my question is, is it just a QS i need? and if so how do i best go about finding one?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Architect / Arch tech = designs layout, assesses planning/building regulatory requirements, provides detailed dwg and spec for QS &/or several builders to accurately price, ensures builder builds as per your dwgs/ spec and snags
    • structural engineer = ensures a buildings structure is suitable/ stable - an engineer's input is a good idea given the circumstances you describe. normally the arch prepares the dwg/spec and the proposal is issued to the engineer who add structural spec, and will make him/herself available on the day of excavation to assess the structural issues
    • Quantity surveyor = prices and itemises the materials and qualities from archs dwg/spec and ensures builder is not ripping you off. the QS is very useful to ensure an accurate price for the job, but on a job of this scale the services of a QS is not often enlisted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

If you wish to have piece of mind on a price then yes is the simple answer.

If you dont find you lerking around boards.ie lol, try the SCSI website www.scsi.ie or search on the internet.

Advertisement