Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Power M8 | Won't boot, fans spinning wildly!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Try with another GPU?

This is for ~70eur with intergrated ATI Radeon X1250-based graphics
    ASUS M2A-VM HDMI AM2+ / AM2 MOTHERBOARD
    AMD 690G Chipset
    Sempron support

This board runs a bit too hot apparently so additional cooling fan wouldn't do any bad.

I wouldn't investing anything into that rig, really outdated, because could build faster rig for 200-300eur with DDR3 memory, socket AM3 or even go Intel road with Core i3 CPU.

But i understand it's still cheaper to invest 100eur than 300eur and especially if it has some kind of sentimental value :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Is there any beeps from the system when turned on? Fit a PC speaker or the Lights system to show if there is a problem with the BIOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

What method did you use to reset the CMOS?

Presumably you've done this already as part of disassembling the system, you've tried unplugging the device and removing the coin battery from the motherboard for a minute?

After that.
    If you've started the system with just PSU, motherboard, CPU and fans, do you get the 'no memory' beeps?

If not, and the CPU is fitted correctly then I'd go along with a motherboard issue as the most likely cause (CPU fail is more unlikely.).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Had the exact same problem a few years ago with a model of Dell Optiplex. Ended up with
    Dell having to replace about 30 motherboards where I worked.

It turned out to be capacitor plaque, which unfortunately is still around.

Condi wrote: »

2012 is your year of faults ;) my was 2011, seriously unbelievable amount of faulty hardware i never experienced before for 10 years or so.

I wish you sort all that out easily!

Condi wrote: »

Didn't hear about that issue before but 30ft is veeery long cable. Is it ordinary VGA cable? I think ordinary ones support up to 10-15ft.
    What resolution was running on the 42" ? Was the picture OK anyway? Did you maybe use an extender between (which could have done some damage possibly)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement