Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firearm certificate grant notice letter

Options
  • 27-02-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I got the above in the post today and I have to pay my €80 at the post office. Will I get my little laminated license card at the post office when I pay ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

thehorse wrote: »
    Hey All,

I got the above in the post today and I have to pay my €80 at the post office. Will I get my little laminated license card at the post office when I pay ?

Thanks

no, you will get a receipt stapled to the letter and the licence will arrive in the post in a few days, maybe a week.

When you get the receipt contact the RFD and he may give you the gun when you produce the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

well done i love that feeling when the grant letter comes trough the door,what did ye get?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Ok, that makes sense.
    I am getting the shotgun from my brother so is it safe for me to get the shotgun from him when I have paid for license and have receipt or should I wait ?.
    Can I buy some clay pidgeon cartridges from my local gun shop once I have this receipt ? (There's a clay shoot on wed in my club)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Pay for it today, and you'll have the license before the end of the week.

Remember that a grant letter IS NOT a license so irrespective of what a gun dealer will or will not give you based on it, it really is better to wait the couple of ays and be 100% legal/right by having the actual license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

Doubt you could buy shells with the letter, and as Ezridax said, for the day or two it would sit in your safe it's better to be on the safe side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I collected all my guns and bought ammo with grant letters, not saying thats what you should do because ez has a good point.

The letter does have your cert number on it so the info the dealer needs is there for him to see.

If you pay today there is a good chance the licence will be there by wed, my last one came out in 2 days so did my oul lads

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Thanks Lads,

its a browning medalist. My brother minded it like it like it was gold and its in fabulous condition. Has adjustable chokes and automatic ejectors too.Its about 8 yrs old.

I'll wait until the actual license arrives, may be the best thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Congrats,how long we're you waiting for grant letter and which station did you apply,cheers,good luck with new gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GtotheD

what's an average length of time to be waiting to hear on a licence application? been two and a half weeks now since sent off, just wondering for registered shoots and the likes. Applied in Ballinale, c/o Granard, Longford, if there are any locals kicking about, and he seemed confident I'd hear back within a couple weeks

They have up to 3 months from the time you recieve the receipt letter. Be patient. Some get theirs within a few weeks others are waiting months. Without scaring you with lds waiting much longer there is no specific amount of time even within the same district.

So if your neighbour gets his in 3 weeks it does not mean you'll have yours in that time period. Remember that all applciations are based on the individual applying, and not the type of gun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

So the "you should hear back within 2 weeks" comment was irrelevant; it's not particularly up to him? Was just expecting something relatively quick, what with guns being in the family, and knowing the gard welll through the years..
    I can wait, just curious.

GtotheD wrote: »
    So the "you should hear back within 2 weeks" comment was irrelevant; it's not particularly up to him?

Who is "him"?

If it's your FO then he could be right and there is only a slight delay. Ringing up after 2 weeks is a bit much. Same with myself. Always had a rapid turnaround for licenses/substitutions. Last one took over a month. nothing i could do but wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I knew the Gardai in my local area and I was still waiting for 3 months!

Ezridax wrote: »
    Who is "him"?
    Sorry, for some reason, assumed everyone knows 'him'. The FO indeed...
    I not going to call or kick up any sort of a fuss, just curious. I get the gist though- could be any length of time.

Advertisement