Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishopstown

Options
  • 27-02-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Looking at relocating, and wondering what Bishopstown is like, what is there in the way of shops, pubs etc. Would love some feedback. Thanks.

Comments

There is Wilton and the Dunnes for shopping, B town Bar, Outpost for pubs both are sh1t really to be fair to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

What's Ballincollig like? Wondering what other areas of Cork are good?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

I'm just after moving to Wilton myself, I live very close to the 24hr Tesco so it's very handy. It's exactly 30mins walk to town, but there are plenty of bus stops in Wilton so you can take your pick. Don't have a clue about pubs in the area though... although I'm 15 mins walk from Barrack St. which has a decent selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I lived in Bishopstown for a year and a half (as a worker, not student).

It's well serviced with supermarkets. Quick walk to two different Dunnes. Bit of a longer walk to Wilton but nothing too bad. Centra stays open a bit late.

Local pubs aren't that great. You've got the Outpost, Bishopstown Bar and The Viscount. I'd have gone to the Viscount more than the others. Nice food in the Wilton bar. You're better off just coming into town though.

Traffic is shocking. The school really holds things up in the morning. Bus service to the city is very unreliable at peak times. I got into the habit of walking home in the evenings - only 45 mins if you're up for it. The No.8 and No.5 should suit most areas of Btown.

I wouldn't really recommend it for a young professional. It's probably considered a good place for families (quiet and trouble free in my experience).

I think Ballincollig would be considered a well serviced town but I wouldn't be able to comment on the cultural aspects of the place.

Im in Carriagline myself. Lovely place. Nice shops, restaraunts and pubs plus close to the sea and other scenic areas. Traffic to town can be murder though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Crying out for a half decent bar so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I don't like Bishopstown because there's no real centre to the place. Just urban sprawl with some shopping centres thrown in. I'd chose Douglas or Carrigaline or some place like that over Bishopstown.

dory wrote: »
    ............ I'd chose Douglas or Carrigaline or some place like that over Bishopstown.

... let's not get carried away :pac:
    Seriously though, unless you work close by Carrigaline is a non runner for many folk unless you like crawling along in traffic on the way towards the city and back home in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Or you have flexi-time! Best thing ever to avoid traffic.

I still wouldn't fancy living in Carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

We like the area we are in but have noisy neighbours and no privacy and always looking for a quieter property. I don't really want to say where we are to be honest, it's a nice place (would be better if there was no dog poo all over the place but that's everywhere in Ireland!).

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We'd pref to stay where we are but it's so hard to find something half decent in the area we want for a good price (but that's most of Ireland I guess!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

RoverJames wrote: »
    ... let's not get carried away :pac:
    Seriously though, unless you work close by Carrigaline is a non runner for many folk unless you like crawling along in traffic on the way towards the city and back home in the evening.

Only for the fact that I drive a motorbike, I'd have gone half mad coming in to the city everyday. The bus service is quite good in the mornings though but you'd want to have flexi time or work off peak hours to benefit from it.

It is a lovely town though. I only moved here by chance but would happily settle here.

Advertisement