Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs Dilemna

Options
  • 27-02-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I recently got a job after being out of work for six months. I find it quite boring, so am still looking for something else, it also has a bit of a dodgy reputation when it comes to keeping on staff.

My mother likes to keep an eye out for jobs, then hound me to apply for them. Most recently she sent me the details of a receptionist position in a 3rd level institution. After having a look at it I decided against applying for it because it's on contract and only runs until September and I see no point in applying for a job only to have to look for another one in a few months.

Anyway, my mother started on about how "Once you get your foot in the door they'll always find a job for you somewhere", and proceeded to call me cowardly and lazy for not going for this position.

I'm just looking for your opinions on whether or not I've done the right thing. Other people have told me that when you get into a place like this college you can be set for life, but I don't think it's worth risking my employment future on 'probably' getting 'something', somewhere else in the college. I have a job now, they don't look like they're about to fire me, and I'm looking for other positions that would be permanent.

ETA: I'm not looking for advice on dealing with my mother, I have no problem telling her where to get off if she's going too far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - your post appears to be more suitable here since you don't need advice on dealing with your mother.

Regards
    Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unless you've got a strong reason, then leaving a permie job for a temp one is madness.

Don't believe what people say about public-service roles going on forever. Yes it may happen, but you cannot guarantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You did the right thing staying where you are.

A friend of mine gave up her job when her husband landed a job with a large multinational, fantastic pay and conditions but long hours so something had to give with childcare as my friend worked odd shifts and with both of them working it proved impossible.

6 months down the line the initial contract finished and the husband was let go so now both of them are jobless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks for the support, folks, it's really helped stop me doubting myself.

I suppose there's a reason they say that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I'm still applying for other part time positions, so hopefully I'll find something suitable soon.

Advertisement