Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nixers?

Options
  • 27-02-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I had a similar thread up here a while ago.
    My friend has asked me to wire his house for him in a few months, would be getting it certified by reci ect.
    Im on social welfare, would be signing off to do the job.
    My questions are.
    1. Since I would be getting paid probably by cheque how would I pay tax? Would I have to set up as a sole trader or whats the story :confused:
    2. Whats the story with insurance? I know that when a contractor certifies a house, its his insurance that covers the house if there is an electrical fault. But if Im getting RECI to certify the house is it their responsibility?
    3. Would I have to get temporary liability insurance while working on the site incase something happened?
    I want to get all the facts straight before I take on the project as its a huge house.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

chrismon wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    1. Since I would be getting paid probably by cheque how would I pay tax?

I can only answer this bit, not sure about the rest. Since essentially you are a sole trader you will have to submit a tax return form for 2012. The beauty is though, that you don't have to fill it in untill 31st October 2013. You are supposed to pay preliminary tax on the 31st October 2012.
    The form you will fill in is either a form 11 or a form 12 depending on your individual circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭steifanc

no idea about the tax ,
    but the guy building the house will have to have building insurance that will cover you to work on the site . when ever i had to do this for family mates ect , i just wired the house and rang reci , they sent out a few forms and when the job was ready they sent out one of there inspectors . you and the inspector test the house and record the results .
    if nothing needed to be addressed the reci inspector issued the cert and that was all that was to it . at the time maybe 10 yr ago since i done it it cost about €360 for reci to do the job , things may of changed now

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

why not price the job with you old boss who i presume is still a contractor and get him to rehire you to do it. takes care of the inshurance certifiaction and taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

chrismon wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I had a similar thread up here a while ago.
    My friend has asked me to wire his house for him in a few months, would be getting it certified by reci ect.
    Im on social welfare, would be signing off to do the job.
    My questions are.
    1. Since I would be getting paid probably by cheque how would I pay tax? Would I have to set up as a sole trader or whats the story :confused:
    2. Whats the story with insurance? I know that when a contractor certifies a house, its his insurance that covers the house if there is an electrical fault. But if Im getting RECI to certify the house is it their responsibility?
    3. Would I have to get temporary liability insurance while working on the site incase something happened?
    I want to get all the facts straight before I take on the project as its a huge house.
    Thanks

fair play to you for trying to get everything addressed chrismon. I would agree with liveandnetural that if this was a one off case it would indeed be the most cost effective option for you to do a deal with someone who has set up already and arrange a fair deal for you as the rain-maker, if you want to do this on a regular basis you would have to join the likes of reci or ecssa, one of these groups will me more helpful to someone starting up, setting up as sole trader could address your tax issues and a registered company could pay you and you declare the tax. There is a lot of cost there for for one job, makes you appreciate the term overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Thanks alot for the replies.
    I was chatting to my old boss, he's not really interested in taking me on to do that job.
    Iv bee going through the pros and cons of doing the job. I don't really want to set up as a soul trader for one job, I'm going back to college and this would seriously mess up my chances of getting a grant.
    If I was still working for a company it would be easy to do the job through them.
    I don't think my friend is going to save any money getting me to do it in the long run between me buying/renting equipment like drills/chasing gear/full test equipment.
    Will let ye know what happens.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Its a lot of effort to set yourself for just one job maybe you can pass the job on to someone you know who is already set up
    and he could throw a few euro your way or give you a few days helping out for cash(I didnt say that out loud:o) atleast that way you would get something out of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

paddymick wrote: »
    Its a lot of effort to set yourself for just one job maybe you can pass the job on to someone you know who is already set up
    and he could throw a few euro your way or give you a few days helping out for cash(I didnt say that out loud:o) atleast that way you would get something out of it..

Cheers for that paddymick.
    Was thinking the same myself.
    Next job is telling my mate!

Advertisement